Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virginia Chapter e-Postal Pistol Match (1st Quarter)

Post imported post

Howdy folks,

Thought I'd make things interesting and organize an e-Postal pistol match for OCDO members. I am posting this in the Virginia forum but the match is open to any ODCO member. Attached is a .doc file which will tell you the rules for the match as well as a location to download the target from. If you have any questions about the match or the rules please use the forum so everyone can see and participate vice sending me private messages.

Naked
    Attached Files Attached Files

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

25 yards eh, I like it. Now does a .44 Magnum fall between 9mm and .45 ACP?

Post imported post

Why 25 yards?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Makes it interesting?

Post imported post

Can I color in the 9 ring with a marker/highlighter? I won't be able to see the bullseye at that distance.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

you might want to add another rule (so guys like me won't do it) - no bench rest.

and here's a question, can we do multiple submits with different calibers?

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    Why 25 yards?
    Because they know people over 40 have a hard time seeing a 2" bullseye that far away.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

.44 Mag is fine. I was trying to eliminate low recoil / easy to shoot handguns such as .22lr Ruger target pistols on the small end. The larger number was simply used because most shooters don't use anything bigger than .45's for target shooting. The ammo is just too expensive when you get into "designer" rounds.

Why 25 yards? Well, some people can put every shot in the 10 ring from shorter distances.

I don't see a problem coloring any part of the target for visibility. If you have bad eyes you can substitute a 25 yard slow fire pistol target from Walmart.

***I will be posting additional rules concerning the use of the Walmart target***

Good point sitedzn: bench shooting is not allowed; you must shoot with no support.

Only one submission per match.

Post imported post

Additional rules concerning Walmart target

You must use this target (45723):

Hits in the orange count for 10 points
    Hits in the 9, 8, and 7 ring count for the respective number
    Hits outside the 7 ring will be scored as 6 points regardless of where they hit the paper.
    Edit: Shots that do not hit paper still count for 1 point same as the printed target
    If you don't think this method is fair (the rings on the walmart target are smaller, and a seven point ring is on the WM target / the 7 ring is the same size as the 8 ring on the printed target) then take into consideration that the WM target (the whole paper) is larger than a 8.5 X 11 inch legal sized paper target. You stand a better chance of scoring a paper hit worth 6 points on the WM target.

The next match (June) will exclusively use the WM target.

Post imported post

Here's why the range is 25 yards...

This target has 30 rounds in it from 10 yards.

Post imported post

Wooley wrote:
    I don't see it....but was it one-handed and crooked?
    No comprendo.

Post imported post

My point was similar to Wooley's when I asked why 25 yards.

Post imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
    Howdy folks,

Thought I'd make things interesting and organize an e-Postal pistol match for OCDO members. I am posting this in the Virginia forum but the match is open to any ODCO member. Attached is a .doc file which will tell you the rules for the match as well as a location to download the target from. If you have any questions about the match or the rules please use the forum so everyone can see and participate vice sending me private messages.

Naked
    The wife and I are in.

DC

Post imported post

This match is about skill and accuracy, a postal match has never (that I've heard of) been about defensive fire or point shooting. If we were to attempt point shooting we would need to switch to full sized silhouette targets at 7 yards!

I do shoot far out, but in the name of realistic training I'm going to have to avoid this one.
    By your comment I'm to think that a 25 yard postal match (which is not training) will degrade your defensive handgun skills?

Let's try to keep this thread on-topic. Defensive shooting is not the topic.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I'll have to hold off on this one. My 2 1/4" barrel won'tmeasure up.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

i could do the same from 50 yards. From sniping experience if you have good bullets with good ratings and good barrel length and position there should be no doubt that you cant do better. Also you cant have any caffene before u go out to shoot. Just dont do it!

swat

sniper team

Post imported post

Jeez fella's, ya know we are allowed to 'just have fun' shooting. Doesn't always have to be about a life and death encounter. If all you want to do is 'practical shooting', fine, but don't try ******* on our parade.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I'll be "there" - Count me in!

Post imported post

what grain bullets do u guys carry for normal range shootings? and what brand do you consider performs better and why? Have you guys considered using +P pr P+ bullets?

swat

Post imported post

what if a shot juuuust touches a ring (or the bullseye)? Does that count for the higher points?

Or what if a shot juuuust nicks the paper? Does that count as 7 points or only 1 point?

For submissions, can we scan our targets with a scanner and send a JPG or PDF of it?

Post imported post

kle wrote:
    what if a shot juuuust touches a ring (or the bullseye)? Does that count for the higher points?

Or what if a shot juuuust nicks the paper? Does that count as 7 points or only 1 point?

For submissions, can we scan our targets with a scanner and send a JPG or PDF of it?
    Kle:

Good questions.

Your first question is answered under rule 10(b) "Hits that break a scoring ring will be scored for the higher ring number" Touching the ring does not count, it must break the ring. Scoring in the rings was intentionally written with the "break the ring" clause to eliminate any doubt about the score awarded.

Your second question is answered under rule 10(c) "Any hit outside the 8-ring will be assigned a score of “7” Since you made contact with paper, even only barely... that would be scored a hit.

I have no objection to scanned targets, I know some people have scanners but most I assume do not. A scanned target would be easier to judge than a photo. Scanned targets will be written into the rules.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Aw, C**p! with the new AR, I almost forgot about this. Have to get to Gilbert's this week!

Post imported post

yeah, I wanted to try it out (I've never shot at 75 feet before); I went to the NRA range today with my brand new, only-been-factory-test-fired S&W SWOCK (er, SW9VE) and ran 190 rounds through it, 40 of which went through the printable-target for this competition...

I'm pretty stoked to have even hit the paper, let alone hit it in enough places to have a fairly good score (I scored it myself, but I'll send a scan over to Nekkid if I don't do any better before the 28th--I don't want to post it here in case I might be inadvertently bragging or opening myself to negative commentary).

I also took my H&K P7M10 and put 50 rounds through the targets at 75 feet, and got the same (self-evaluated) score as my Swock. Funny.

But yeah, everyone doing this, we have two weeks left =)

Post imported post

i went last weekend with intentions of getting a score to post. had a good one (for me anyway) until i was shooting at the target beside it, sending rounds down and hitting the wrong paper:what:. i still may post it if i can't get a better score (wrong hits were 45, score was with a 40 - you can clearly see the difference on the paper).

Post imported post

Here's my target from today, 56 points.

This is not my submission, I reserve the right to re-shoot for a better score.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast