• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Chapter e-Postal Pistol Match (1st Quarter)

IanB

imported post

Howdy folks,

Thought I'd make things interesting and organize an e-Postal pistol match for OCDO members. I am posting this in the Virginia forum but the match is open to any ODCO member. Attached is a .doc file which will tell you the rules for the match as well as a location to download the target from. If you have any questions about the match or the rules please use the forum so everyone can see and participate vice sending me private messages.

Naked

Attachments

• Rules.pdf
    22.5 KB · Views: 204

sitedzn

imported post

you might want to add another rule (so guys like me won't do it) - no bench rest.

and here's a question, can we do multiple submits with different calibers?

IanB

imported post

.44 Mag is fine. I was trying to eliminate low recoil / easy to shoot handguns such as .22lr Ruger target pistols on the small end. The larger number was simply used because most shooters don't use anything bigger than .45's for target shooting. The ammo is just too expensive when you get into "designer" rounds.

Why 25 yards? Well, some people can put every shot in the 10 ring from shorter distances.

I don't see a problem coloring any part of the target for visibility. If you have bad eyes you can substitute a 25 yard slow fire pistol target from Walmart.

***I will be posting additional rules concerning the use of the Walmart target***

Good point sitedzn: bench shooting is not allowed; you must shoot with no support.

Only one submission per match.

IanB

imported post

[align=center]Additional rules concerning Walmart target

[/align][align=left]You must use this target (45723):

IMG_0008-1.jpg

Hits in the orange count for 10 points
Hits in the 9, 8, and 7 ring count for the respective number
Hits outside the 7 ring will be scored as 6 points regardless of where they hit the paper.
Edit: Shots that do not hit paper still count for 1 point same as the printed target
[/align][align=left] If you don't think this method is fair (the rings on the walmart target are smaller, and a seven point ring is on the WM target / the 7 ring is the same size as the 8 ring on the printed target) then take into consideration that the WM target (the whole paper) is larger than a 8.5 X 11 inch legal sized paper target. You stand a better chance of scoring a paper hit worth 6 points on the WM target.

The next match (June) will exclusively use the WM target.

[/align]

Wooley

imported post

I'm very practical in my shooting and training. I do shoot far out, but in the name of realistic training I'm going to have to avoid this one. Sure, I can shoot 25 yards slowly, two handed, good stance....but I think its more important to be able to point shoot one handed while I push a loved one away from danger with my free handor use it tohold myself up or fight my attacker...all of this with a target less than 10 feet away. Sure, you can hit 25 yrds just fine, but can you point shoot to save your life one handed and probably off balance within 10 feet on a 360 degree range?

Not bustinchops, just heeding statistics and trainingprimarily within the envelope onemight encounter.

If you're in a comfortable stance, you don't have proper cover. :)

IanB

imported post

Here's why the range is 25 yards...

This target has 30 rounds in it from 10 yards.

DSC01897.jpg

Wooley

imported post

Was it practical shooting...the way it would be when you need it to save your life?

I'm really just trying to fire everyone up, but no one is biting...;)

DeadCenter

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Howdy folks,

Thought I'd make things interesting and organize an e-Postal pistol match for OCDO members. I am posting this in the Virginia forum but the match is open to any ODCO member. Attached is a .doc file which will tell you the rules for the match as well as a location to download the target from. If you have any questions about the match or the rules please use the forum so everyone can see and participate vice sending me private messages.

Naked

The wife and I are in.

DC

IanB

imported post

This match is about skill and accuracy, a postal match has never (that I've heard of) been about defensive fire or point shooting. If we were to attempt point shooting we would need to switch to full sized silhouette targets at 7 yards!

I do shoot far out, but in the name of realistic training I'm going to have to avoid this one.
By your comment I'm to think that a 25 yard postal match (which is not training) will degrade your defensive handgun skills?

Let's try to keep this thread on-topic. Defensive shooting is not the topic.

swatpro911

imported post

i could do the same from 50 yards. From sniping experience if you have good bullets with good ratings and good barrel length and position there should be no doubt that you cant do better. Also you cant have any caffene before u go out to shoot. Just dont do it!

swat

sniper team

VAopencarry

imported post

Jeez fella's, ya know we are allowed to 'just have fun' shooting. Doesn't always have to be about a life and death encounter. If all you want to do is 'practical shooting', fine, but don't try pissing on our parade.