• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Odd experience???

mazellan819

imported post

The other day My family and I were walking into the American Fork Famous Footwear. I had my pt-745 on my right hip with extra mag. A woman was coming in after us and I held the door for her and her family. She bluntly asked "what law gives you the right to were that?" I was quite taken back at her question and how she asked it. I didn't quite know what to say. I simply stated that there wasn't any laws that says I can't. (later that evening my wife confessed to me that before I answered she was going to say "because he can" I was so proud lol) Anyways,she went on stating that she had a family in VA that was a retired FBI and he was "required" to carry at all times. So I guess that it was a positive experience I was just kind of shocked at the way she approached it. She didn't seem (except for the way she asked the initial question) to be upset or negative about my side arm, but she was educated that day on Utah law.

Maze

IanB

imported post

What law gives you the right to breath?

None?

Your question was just answered.

Laws tell you what you CAN'T do Ma'am.

ProguninTN

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
What law gives you the right to breath?

None?

Your question was just answered.

Laws tell you what you CAN'T do Ma'am.

nakedshoplifter hit the nail on the head. The American Legal System is based on the premise that "whatever is not expressly prohibited, is permitted".

ProguninTN

molonlabetn

imported post

Her: "what law gives you the right to were that?"

Me: "you mean the right to bear arms?... I'm not sure, but I could swear that it was in the part of theConstitution called the Bill of Rights. The Second Amendment perhaps?"

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just tossing in an alternative reply.

"None ma'am. Not even the Bill of Rights grants rights. It recognizesintrinsic rights that existedbefore the Founding."

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Don't forget the Utah Constitution. While it is far longer and less convenient to carry around than the federal constitution, the Utah State Constitution has some real gems in it (and some very interesting history that is mostly off-topic here).

Article 1, Section 6 is even more explicit, less able to be "interpreted" away, than the 2nd amendment to the federal constitution.

http://le.utah.gov/~code/const/htm/CO_02007.htm

Article I, Section 6. [Right to bear arms.]
The individual right of the people to keep and bear arms for security and defense of self, family, others, property, or the state, as well as for other lawful purposes shall not be infringed; but nothing herein shall prevent the Legislature from defining the lawful use of arms.

tarzan1888

imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
The other day My family and I were walking into the American Fork Famous Footwear. I had my pt-745 on my right hip with extra mag. A woman was coming in after us and I held the door for her and her family. She bluntly asked "what law gives you the right to were that?" I was quite taken back at her question and how she asked it. I didn't quite know what to say. I simply stated that there wasn't any laws that says I can't. (later that evening my wife confessed to me that before I answered she was going to say "because he can" I was so proud lol) Anyways,she went on stating that she had a family in VA that was a retired FBI and he was "required" to carry at all times. So I guess that it was a positive experience I was just kind of shocked at the way she approached it. She didn't seem (except for the way she asked the initial question) to be upset or negative about my side arm, but she was educated that day on Utah law.

Maze
:banghead: Laws don't give rights.Rights came from God, and hopefully, the Constitution and various man made laws,protect those rights!

possumboy

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Ive developed ahabit of carrying a pocket Constitution. I think I would have handed her a copy and said-- "This one."

http://www.nccs.net/us_constitution.html
Thanks, I have been looking for this. I got a bunch at a Meet and Greet for some State reps (I checked the post and it was in October). I got about 50 then and I'm all but out of now. I enjoy doing exactly what you said. People seem to think paper has more meaning than anything we can say.