• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should Robert Drown Face Felony Charges (and Consequently Lose His Gun Rights)?

Based on the two news articles, should Robert Drown face felony charges (and consequently, lose his

• Yes, Drown appears to be guilty of reckless conduct under the law in NH.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Drown's ND was accidental.

• No, Drown has suffered enough.

• No, Drown violated 3 of the Four Rules of firearm safety, but he knows better now.

• No, convicting Drown would only serve the cause of the Brady Campaign.

• No, Drown may not have been trained properly in the safety of firearms and it may not have been his

• No, besides his own personal injury, only property damage resulted.

• No, it is the anti-gun attitudes in society make people more prone to doing stupid things with guns.

• No, Drown showed good intentions by trying to put his Glock in "safety mode."

• No, there will always be idiots, morons, and fools who carry guns and they can be college professor

• Total voters

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Should this man face felony charges and lose his gun rights for this incident?

(Multiple answers are allowed in this poll.)

Driver handling gun shoots himself

Car hits minivan and knocks down sign

By ANNMARIE TIMMINS
Monitor staff

January 04. 2007

A22-year-old Webster man accidentally shot himself yesterday as he dismantled his gun while driving down Loudon Road, the police said. In the process, Robert Drown also hit a minivan and toppled the sign at the 7-Eleven, according to a witness.

Drown was trying to place his gun in a safety mode when it went off, the police said. He was rushed to Concord Hospital with a serious gunshot wound to his thigh. He was listed in fair condition yesterday evening. The police said Drown was fortunate that he injured himself near a fire station and with an off-duty paramedic nearby.

The accident happened just before noon as Drown was headed west on Loudon Road, according to Maj. Robert Barry. When his gun went off, Drown veered off Loudon Road and over the lawn of the nearby 7-Eleven. Drown stopped only when he hit the store's sign, according to a witness. The impact toppled the sign onto Drown's vehicle.

"He never touched the brakes," said Jeremy Murphy, who witnessed the incident from the D'Angelo Sandwich Shop across the street, where he had just finished lunch with two friends.

While veering off Loudon Road, Drown also glanced a mini-van, Murphy said. Murphy and his friends initially thought the bang they heard was Drown hitting the minivan, but they realized later it was Drown's gun firing.

Shot driver accused of reckless conduct

Monitor staff

March 28. 2007

AWebster man who accidentally shot himself in January as he dismantled his gun while driving down Loudon Road has been indicted on reckless conduct charges.

Robert Drown, 22, of Battle Street, was hospitalized but is now recovering from his injuries. After he shot himself in the thigh, Drown lost control of his vehicle, hit a minivan and toppled the sign at the 7-Eleven on Loudon Road, witnesses told the police.

An indictment is a formal charge that allows the case to be scheduled for trial. Drown told the police that he was trying to put his .40-caliber Glock handgun in the safety mode while driving when it fired.

Drown could face 3½ to 7 years in prison if convicted and given the maximum sentence. As a convicted felon, he'd also be prohibited from possessing firearms.
http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070328/REPOSITORY/703280324

VAopencarry

imported post

No. What's the point of making him a felon? I think he learned his lesson, no amount of jail time will help 'rehabilitate' him. Being stupid yes, felon, no.

IanB

imported post

I think he should be charged with a crime, but not a felony. Reckless driving sounds about right.

bohdi

imported post

I haven't seen this type of information in this forum yet, but it may already be out there. Perhaps the answer is to require potential owners pass a nationally recognized basic firearm safety and familiarization class prior to handing over said armament?

Shop Owner: So you want to buy a Glock Mr Jones? Ever handle one before?

Mr. Jones : No.

Shop Owner: Ever have any kind of training with fire arms that you can prove, vetern ID card etc?

Mr. Jones: No.

Shop Owner : Federal law requires you to watch this five minute video and go through a basic familiarity briefing with me prior to you walking out the door with your new purchase.

Mr. Jones: OK.

Why isn't it like that? We don't just hand over the keys to the car to our kids. They have to take a class and pass a test written and performance at the DMV.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Because the system we have has worked satisfactorly for 200+ years, and because you don't mandate training for rights.

Meathook

imported post

I agree this should not be a felony offence.

The problem with the society we live in everyone wants to fire/jail/hang everybody else for the smallest screw up (not that this is a small screw up). Accidents happen with cars, guns and anything else you can name. That is not to say there should be no accountability.

My brother often tells me "Stupid should be painfull." I think this qualifies.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

I'm in favor of maximizing the jurisdiction held by individuals over themselves and their families, and minimizing the jurisdiction held by governments/institutions/others over us. Along those lines, I don't think ought have to pass a test to drive -- every man ought to decide for himself whether he will take the risks involved in driving.

This assumes, of course, that if he does someone harm he will be held accountable.

30 cal slut

imported post

"trying to put is Glock in the safety mode."

am i missing something here? :question:

VApatriot

imported post

Ivoted for #7.

There is no way he should be charged as a felon or go to prison! All he should get is the exact same citation you would get for getting in a wreck after spilling hot coffee in your lap; it is really no different.

bohdi

imported post

Or for whatever local laws he violated for discharging the weapon within city limits.

League - I'm not for putting tighter restrictions on gun ownership. The drivingexample is aninteresting one, and has just as many holes as not requiring basic classes and tests. We have classes and tests, but that doesn't prevent idiots from getting licenses, into accidents, and causing death etc. Personally when I was 11 it didn't stop me either, so I have to lump myself in the idot category for a minute, or an hour.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

bohdi wrote:
<snip>
We have classes and tests, but that doesn't prevent idiots from getting licenses, into accidents, and causing death etc. <snip>
Precisely. That's because the purpose of the licensing requirement is not to improve the quality of driving, but to generate revenue.

It's like the gun control people -- if they were really concerned about safety, they'd seek to ban cars, not guns.

VApatriot

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Or for whatever local laws he violated for discharging the weapon within city limits.
An accident is an accident. He clearly didn't fire the gun on purpose, and he was the only person hurt; so,unless NH lawregarding accidental discharge is greatly different than that of VA law,I don't see thathe should be charged with anything related to the discharge of the gun.