• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

private sale of firearms

Harryhood

imported post

are there any forms or anything any of you guys have made up for thisi am thingking of buying a pistol from the trading post and never dealt with a private sale before.

VAopencarry

imported post

Name of seller and buyer, date, make and model of firearm, serial number. If I was the Seller I would ask to see ID. It doesn't need to be anything complicated. 1 copy for each. In Virginia you don't have to do one at all.

John Smith sold a Sig P239 serial# abcdef1 to Jim Bojangles on 4/5/07.
Signed by both

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If you want to get really fancy, you could have both copies notarized.

You could also add disclaimers like "at the time of sale, purchaser acknowledges he is legally allowed to own and possess firearms" and "the seller affirms that the firearm is legal and not be used in any criminal activity."

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Harryhood wrote:
are there any forms or anything any of you guys have made up for thisi am thingking of buying a pistol from the trading post and never dealt with a private sale before.

When I bought my 44Ruger I meet the Guy @ a kinkos. wrote down serial # and made copies of the DL #'s ( ccw's if desired ), copies of check + misc info that we might have thought being necessary to "cover eachother butts" // It went pretty smooth // Rather take too much Caution than too little and being in Trouble later for whatever the reason//

Good Luck

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Or... since paper trails are not a good for everything but you still want the warm and fuzzy of getting a receipt.
Follow this buyer’s guide:
1. Look at the tool
2. Agree on the price
3. Write up a receipt with all the info
4. Pay the seller
5. Shake hands
6. Drop said receipts into the shredder
7. Bid good day and enjoy your new tool

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Toad wrote:
Or... since paper trails are not a good for everything but you still want the warm and fuzzy of getting a receipt.
Follow this buyer’s guide:
3. Write up a receipt with all the info

6. Drop said receipts into the shredder

I can't imagine what a paper trail for a private gun sale would not be good for.

In any case, if people go to the trouble of making up a receipt, they probably wouldn't throw it in a shredder.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I've bought used guns face-to-face, and it's always been cash & carry.

I'm happy to show my DL or CHL, but if someone wanted to copy my ID or the info, I'd back out (personally). To date, fortunately, no one has asked to record or copy any of my info.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:

You could also add disclaimers like "at the time of sale, purchaser acknowledges he is legally allowed to own and possess firearms" and "the seller affirms that the firearm is legal and not be used in any criminal activity."

This would give you some documentation to send to Bloomberg.:lol::banghead:

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
rlh2005 wrote:

This would give you some documentation to send to Bloomberg.:lol::banghead:

"Detective/ Officer, the Gun was used in a robbery/murder on xx/xx/xx date?

Well, I have documentation from a Private Sale that I didn't own thatGun at xx/xx/xx date. Anything else I can help You with detective/ officer? Have a nice day.":D

"with Great Power comes Great Responsibility"

atty2000

imported post

If you feel that you should have one (I do it for my own protection), this may be helpful.

BILL OF SALE
FOR VALUE RECEIVED, the undersigned, _________ (Seller) of Virginia hereby sells and transfers unto _________ also of Virginia (Buyer), the following handgun collectively described as follows:
[align=center]__________ ___________Semi-automatic pistol, ammunition, holster, magazines, case, cable lock, manuals and other accessories[/align] Serial Number:

Seller warrants and represents that he has good title to said property, full authority to sell and transfer same and that said goods and chattels are being sold free and clear of all liens, encumbrances, liabilities and adverse claims, of every nature and description.

Buyer has an opportunity to inspect and use (fire) said handgun prior to the sale and Seller disclaims any implied warranty of condition, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Said goods being in their present condition "as is" and "where is."
Buyer also verifies that he is purchasing this handgun for his own use and that he is not otherwise forbidden to purchase, carry, use or transport said handgun under state and federal laws.

Signed this_____ day of April 2007.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DrMark wrote:
I've bought used guns face-to-face, and it's always been cash & carry.

I'm happy to show my DL or CHL, but if someone wanted to copy my ID or the info, I'd back out (personally).
Having knowledge of or a record of who sold you a particular gun is cheap insurance against undue scrutiny if the gun ever turns out stolen or wanted.

LEO 229

imported post

I do not think I would sell any guns to another party without checking an ID andwriting out a bill of sale. If the other person wants it bad enough... they will not have a problem with that.

If the ATF ever had to track down the current owner of a gun used in a murder... and the guy you bought it from gives your name..... Now the trail ends with you. I hope you can remember who you sold it to after 10 years. :)

For those that do not know..... There is no national database of gun owners. The ATF has to start with the manufacturer to get the FFL Dealer name the gun was shipped to. Then the FFL Dealer pulls out his books for the first registered owner. If the first owner sold it 20 years ago to some guy on the street..... the trail ends there.

swatpro911

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I do not think I would sell any guns to another party without checking an ID andwriting out a bill of sale. If the other person wants it bad enough... they will not have a problem with that.

If the ATF ever had to track down the current owner of a gun used in a murder... and the guy you bought it from gives your name..... Now the trail ends with you. I hope you can remember who you sold it to after 10 years. :)

For those that do not know..... There is no national database of gun owners. The ATF has to start with the manufacturer to get the FFL Dealer name the gun was shipped to. Then the FFL Dealer pulls out his books for the first registered owner. If the first owner sold it 20 years ago to some guy on the street..... the trail ends there.
lets say I would like to sell my gun to somebody what paperwork do I need or do I have to go to any other place? can I write down the address and names of the buyer?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

lets say I would like to sell my gun to somebody what paperwork do I need or do I have to go to any other place? can I write down the address and names of the buyer?
Where did you get swatpro911from? Am I under the impression that you an LEO, Sir?

Bubba Ron

imported post

I bought a Glock 34 from alocal police officer, and I brought the Bill of Sale for each of us, he said "Oh yea, that's a good idea". It's really for your protection and doesn't have to be fancy - Buyer Name, Seller Name, Gun Model, Gun Serial #, and Date of Sale.

Flowmaster

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Name of seller and buyer, date, make and model of firearm, serial number. If I was the Seller I would ask to see ID. It doesn't need to be anything complicated. 1 copy for each. In Virginia you don't have to do one at all.

John Smith sold a Sig P239 serial# abcdef1 to Jim Bojangles on 4/5/07.
Signed by both

i did exactly that when i sold a blackpowder gun at a gun show. didn't need to, it was a blackpowder gun, but it's good to keep for my records. we both showed each other some ID showing that our names were who we said they were, then wrote it out and signed.

i'd say get some ID to verify that the man/woman is whohe/shesaythey are.