• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Concord Mills? Malls?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I didn't feel very comfortable in the mall yesterday at one point. What is the call on OC in a mall? I did see the Nascar fun center had a no weapons sign posted, but the mall itself didn't. I don't want to be anotherstatistic one day only because I didn't know that I could have protected myself.

packin_NC_79

imported post

I think you are ok as long as there are NO signs posted regarding weapons possession. If it only indicates no concealed carry, you may or may not be ok. I have been to the mall before, but not while carrying. I also wouldn't worry about the uncomfortable feeling. Gun ownership is a right, not a priviledge and in NC as long as you aren't terrorizing anyone you are ok. Make sure it is in plain sight(i.e. a holster on your side visible from at least one angle) and you are good to go. No if the rent-a-cops there at the mall say something, I would inform them it wasn't posted and you were excercising you rights under both the U.S. & N.C. constitutions and do nothing in voilation of NC statutes. If they ask you to leave then you need to, though an officer is usally required to be called to "ban" you from the mall before you can be considered trespassing. When I was 18 I worked security for Carolina Place in Pineville. There were no gun issues while I was there, but a few crooks were arrested for both theft and trespassing. Just remember, no trespassing until a leo tells you to leave and not return, the mall can't do that on their own in NC. That may just be local interpretation as well, but it seems to be the accepted practice in the metro area.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

You were good as long as you didn't go into the Nascar shop with the sign on it. Even then you may have been okay even then if a business dosen't want guns in there that is fine with me I just won't shop there.

If the mall had a "NO WEAPONS" sign on the entrance in plain sight then yeah I wouldn't have carried into the mall but you said there wen't any so you were good.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I guess I'm still a little nervous about being harassed by renta cops and cops who don't know any better. I've only been OC'ing for a few weeks and don't know how the reaction would be in an area as crowded as such. I'll OC next time and see what happens, I just don't go to malls very much.

revis_jonathan

State Researcher
imported post

If you look to the right in a frame next to the door inside each entrance CMM (Concord Mills Mall) has a rules and regulations sign posted. In it near the bottom it states that no weapons, open or concealed, with or without a permit are allowed in the mall. It states if you are caught violating this policy you will be asked to leave. If you fail to leave you will be arrested for trespassing.

Just look for the sign next time you go. PS - It's not in a conspicuous place either.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This mall is a property of The Mills Corporation and like all of the other malls that they own their code of conduct states:

[align=center]CONCORD MILLS CODE OF CONDUCT
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][/align]
[align=left]Concord Mills, including its designated roadways and parking lot, is private property. The following Code of Conduct is set forth for the purposes of protecting Concord Mills’ legitimate business interests and any violation to the Code interferes with the commercial nature and function of Concord Mills. Your entry constitutes your consent to abide by all the posted rules governing conduct, traffic, and parking. [/align]

AS A VISITOR AT CONCORD MILLS, YOU ARE PROHIBITED FROM ENGAGING IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES WHILE AT CONCORD MILLS:...

[/font]17. Possession or carrying of any firearms, simulated firearms, or weapons of any kind, openly or concealed with or without permit, is prohibited.

[align=left](Link)[/align]

[align=left]Notice that there is no exception made for LEOs either.[/align]

revis_jonathan

State Researcher
imported post

That is it. The sign is not in a good location at all, I actually had to go looking for it to find it.

It is located at the entrance near the food court at Forever 21 and BAM just inside the mall entrance on the right wall.

In SC I could have made a case against that because SC requires a plain-as-day "No Concealable Weapons Allowed" sign on every entrance between around 40-90 inches from the floor. No guess work on wherether you should be there or not.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Unless they have something incredibly obvious posted, I'd carry. Of course, I'd also be expecting a confrontation at some point or another, so if I didn't feel like educated people I'd just conceal.

Out east in Greenville, the Greenville mall used to not have signs posted. I carried there a couple times w/o any issues. We just went there this weekend for some x-mas shopping, and as I walked up I saw they put giant "No Snub-Nosed Revolvers" signs on every door and window on every entrance. Technically I was carrying a semi-auto, but I didn't feel like pushing it, so I concealed.

It's nice to know that all the malls around here are keeping us safe :banghead:.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Isn't that funny? I just went to a place that had a sign with a very clear representation of a Glock, while my office building has a thing against berettas. Why do you think that these places choose to single out particular gun makers? Doesn't matter. I usually carry a 1911.:cool:

XD_man

imported post

ok cool somebody said something about the rules of Concord mills. i just joined this group a sec ago because i wanted to let them know that i went looking for this info myself and found it up on the wall practically hidden for the average joe who walks in the mall.

Decoligny

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
This mall is a property of The Mills Corporation and like all of the other malls that they own their code of conduct states:

[align=center]CONCORD MILLS CODE OF CONDUCT
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][/align]

[align=left]Concord Mills, including its designated roadways and parking lot, is private property. The following Code of Conduct is set forth for the purposes of protecting Concord Mills’ legitimate business interests and any violation to the Code interferes with the commercial nature and function of Concord Mills. Your entry constitutes your consent to abide by all the posted rules governing conduct, traffic, and parking. [/align]

AS A VISITOR AT CONCORD MILLS, YOU ARE PROHIBITED FROM ENGAGING IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES WHILE AT CONCORD MILLS:...

[/font]17. Possession or carrying of any firearms, simulated firearms, or weapons of any kind, openly or concealed with or without permit, is prohibited.

[align=left](Link)[/align]

[align=left]Notice that there is no exception made for LEOs either.[/align]
Most states have legal exceptions where law enforcement officer are free from trespass laws while in the performance of thier duties. Trespass is probably the only crime they would be able to get you on if you did carry, and then only if you refused to leave when asked to.