• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1 out of 3 is not good, Legislative Session

VAopencarry

imported post

HB420- Exempt Firearms made in Montana and stays in Montana from the Federal Commerce Clause- Tabled in the Senate Judicuary Committee.

HB340- Citizen Self Defense- Tabled in Senate Judicary Committee, motion for a 2d reading failed.

SB309 - Prohibit confiscation of firearms during a declared emergency- Returned to the Senate with amendments. I don't know what the amendments are but this should pass, it left the Senate the first time with a 96% Yes vote.

mattjohnston87

imported post

Let me say that most of the state is probably for these bills. The problem lies with the representatives/senators from the cities that are full of tree huggers and out of state transplant democrats....(go figure....)

All we can do is sit and wait unfortunately. We really need these bills to help solidify our rights more than they already are.

Matt

Article1section23

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
HB420- Exempt Firearms made in Montana and stays in Montana from the Federal Commerce Clause- Tabled in the Senate Judicuary Committee.

HB340- Citizen Self Defense- Tabled in Senate Judicary Committee, motion for a 2d reading failed.

SB309 - Prohibit confiscation of firearms during a declared emergency- Returned to the Senate with amendments. I don't know what the amendments are but this should pass, it left the Senate the first time with a 96% Yes vote.
I can only hope that HB420 passes. This would start years of litigation and is in a still liberal 10th circuit, but would make for some great case law.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks for the update, VAopencarry.

I think the Montana Guns was more of a position statement directed at Congress than a genuine gun bill. I could be wrong, though. They also had a bill directing state employees to ignore a number of provisions in the national RealID law.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree that HB 420 would give Congress the willies! I wish we'd try that here.

I'm trying to imagine a nice, sleek semi-auto pistol, made from Virginia iron and Virginia walnut, totally designed and manufactured here, and marked as such, then sold only to Virginians from the factory store. Indeed, how could Congress regulate such a tool? Their only power is to regulate INTERSTATE commerce. We know they've abused that concept egregiously over the years, but I think the firearm mentioned above might make for some very interesting court battles regarding states' rights vs congressional usurpation. It could event make it to the supreme court.

Think of the strokes that Bloomberg, Brady, Schumer and Hitlery would have. Hell, even Trejbal would probably decide that Virginia is hopeless, and he'd move somewhere else to do his liberal missionary work!

VAopencarry

imported post

I agree HB 420 was most likely just to tell the feds to F-off. :D

HB340 should have passed.

Matt, I saw on another gun forum a Montanan called the city BozAngeles:lol:

VAopencarry

imported post

Sounds like they are invading the west, don't hear as much about it east of the mountains. BozAngeles, would be more funny if it wasn't true:(

mattjohnston87

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:

SB309 has passed the legislature, and has been sent to enrolling.

I can truly say I am happy that this has passed.

Matt

JP

imported post

I haven't yet found whether these bills have passed yet but I found the text of the bills here www.umt.edu/law/Library/Bailiwick/2007/Mar2.pdf and you have to download a pdf which, if you scroll down to the top os page 4, it lists HB420 and HB340. Just clik on the numbers and it will download a text pdf of them. I didn't find anything there for SB 309 :( .

reltor

imported post

It is not just transplants in Bozeangeles. It doesn't help that many of the rural pro-gun ranchers sell out and will vote for any democrat since dems tend to be strong supporters of farm subsidies.

Check it out

http://farm.ewg.org/sites/farm/

In my area I know many of the ranches that collect large subsidies and few are driving junk or hurting for money, but I would bet they vote democratic.

VAopencarry

imported post

Interesting to read this thread with some historical context.

Two years ago Montana Firearms Freedom Act didn't make it out of Committee.

Now it has passed and to date, 20 other states have submitted copy cat bills. :celebrate

AND the Self Defense bill passed this year too.

Emmeric

imported post

Problem is, about all we have in Montana are some custom bolt-action rifle makers.

My 45acp comes out of Texas and ... well, all my other guns comes from out of state.

T

TWG2A

imported post

MT GUNNY wrote:
Here in Kalispell is this manufacture of Ar's, http://shop.si-defense.com/

NICE!

Now that I'm settled here in BOZAngeles (hahaha) I'll start looking into the legislation and making some noise.

Does everyone know about the Memorial Day Parade here in Bozeman on Monday? It's the first in FIFTY YEARS! I wouldn't miss it for the WORLD and I've offered to assist with food and coordination/assistance. I'll post a thread on the main MT page.

If you plan to attend, send me a note! It would be great to meet some of you there!

GOD BLESS OUR VETERANS. WE LOVE YOU.