• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Accused Of Shooting Alleged Sacramento Car Thief

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Army wrote:
Uh...guys? This post is nearly 3 years old.
Necropost.jpg
Necropost-kitten.jpg

oc4ever

imported post

The right to use deadly force to stop fleeing felon(s) by citizens is still technically on the books. His inability to stop them any other way(since they were leaving in a car)probably saved him from prosecution. It especially helped since there were three crooks and only him.

The bottom line, only tell the police you were in fear of your safety, you saw the crooks had weapons, and I only want to make further statements after I have spoken to my attorney. At least he was (accidentally) a good shot!

dirtykoala

imported post

Army wrote:

yeah, pincheorgo has a tendancy to bring back dead posts. It bumps more recent and more helpful topics down. Last time, he tried to give advise on a case that was 2 years old, plus his advise had already been covered 2 yrs ago.

Pinche is "that guy"

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
A few years ago a Sacramento man shot and injured a FLEEING teenager who was attempting to steal the car out of his driveway.

IIRC, the Sacramento DA basically said, 'well, we're pretty sure the homeowner broke the law, but with our auto theft rates it's pretty unlikely to get a jury to take pity on the car thief... so we aren't going to prosecute him.'

Sorry for lack of citation; brief Google search didn't turn anything up.
CA_Libertarian wrote:
Pretty sure that's it... guess he wasn't fleeing... my memory isn't what it used to be.

Even so, he shot a presumably unarmed person outside his home in defense of property. Here in CA any cop, gun store clerk, or NRA member would expect this guy to be prosecuted.

This is it, CAL.

I think the Saechin case disposition is an anomaly. He caught a break. I guess it would have been worse if the 17-year old were actually FLEEING. That might've been enough to get him charged.

PincheOgro1

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
Army wrote:

yeah, pincheorgo has a tendancy to bring back dead posts. It bumps more recent and more helpful topics down. Last time, he tried to give advise on a case that was 2 years old, plus his advise had already been covered 2 yrs ago.

Pinche is "that guy"

I just found this thread... I have no idea what you're talking about. I have been reading the various topics. I have commented on a few. didn't know it bothered you so much. What guy?

Oh I see. I made a one word comment, and DK is all up in arms about it. Oh Well...

KS_to_CA

imported post

Correct me if I am wrong, was it in Kansas that the castle doctrine extends to your vehicle? That is probably not the case in CA, where criminals seem to have more rights than citizens. Good to know the DA decided not to prosecute.

MK

imported post

In Missouri it extends to your vehicle. I imagive there are multiple other states that allow this as well.

The odd thing is that the man claimed he accidentily shot that first shot into the teen's chest but what about the other rounds he fired at the fleeing car? Personally, I don't think any were accidental but am glad that the man won't have to answer for shooting the person.