• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blockbuster

D

Desertdoc

imported post

So I decided to go get some movies tonight at a blockbuster located in Portsmouth. If anyone here has been there they know its not the best area of town. As i walked in i had my H&K compact on my hip. Walked in like always and said hello to the person behind the corner and asked what good movies have came out latley. I first noticed his eyes get alittle big when i first walked in but thought "no problem, this guys in the military". After talking with this guy for a few min.'s i went off on my own to look at the wall. After a min. or two he came up to me and said "with all due respect sir.... are you an off duty officer?" AS i turned to him i replied "No im not and and if your referring to my side arm the state of VA doesn't require me to cover it up". Really?!? said the young guy. I assured him that it was legal and he slowly walked away. Some other customer walked by at this time and started to laugh. He stated "Nope and you dont even need a permit if its out in the open". We both start to laugh and i went my own way. When i was ready to check out i made sure that this guy that first questioned me was the one that rang me up. I read his name tag and it went like this:

Me : So Nick.... how long you been stationed in VA?

Nick : Awwww about 3 years, how did you know?

Me : The Haircut kinda gives it away. BTW when i first got here in VA and found out alittle about the open carry laws i couldnt believe it either. Now im not an officer but i am a member of the VCDL. ( I then explained what the VCDL is and what it does for everyones gun rights) I also gave him a card with Opencarry.org and the VCDL site listed. I invited him to look up some info and if he had any questions feel free to email me.

Nike : Yea.. You kinda scared me when i first saw you and the gun.

Me: Iassured him that it wasnt the guys walking in with a gun in the holster he needed to worry about but it was the guys without a holster that should scare him. (I laughed and thought back to the old "Marine" in Mannasses!)

Over all it was a good experience and i think that Nick will be doing some homework. Who knows maybe we will be getting another member to join us for dinner.

Sinetty

imported post

Hi, this is Nick's Fiance. When he came home tonight after work at BB he almost immediately told me the story about his expierience with you tonight. And you told it almost word for word as he had told it to me.

We are from Wisconsin and the only guns you see are those of officers or hunting rifles during deer season. So you can understand the shock that Nick must have felt when he saw you walk in, even more so in that area of town.

After he told me about meeting you and showed me your card I decided to look it up. My curiousity took over I guess. I was looking at the maps of the gun laws and reading those for WI and VA (the states that matter most to me), you wouldn't believe my suprise when I saw "Blockbuster" off to the side....

I guess sites like this are helpful and although I may not believe the same as you (it has never really been an issue so I am not certain where I stand) it is nice that you would take the time to explain your rights to a frightened young man (don't tell him I said so!).

Sincerely,
Ashley Marie

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sinetty wrote:
Hi, this is Nick's Fiance. When he came home tonight after work at BB he almost immediately told me the story about his expierience with you tonight. And you told it almost word for word as he had told it to me.

We are from Wisconsin and the only guns you see are those of officers or hunting rifles during deer season. So you can understand the shock that Nick must have felt when he saw you walk in, even more so in that area of town.

After he told me about meeting you and showed me your card I decided to look it up. My curiousity took over I guess. I was looking at the maps of the gun laws and reading those for WI and VA (the states that matter most to me), you wouldn't believe my suprise when I saw "Blockbuster" off to the side....

I guess sites like this are helpful and although I may not believe the same as you (it has never really been an issue so I am not certain where I stand) it is nice that you would take the time to explain your rights to a frightened young man (don't tell him I said so!).

Sincerely,
Ashley Marie

Ashley Marie,

Thank you for taking the time to find us, register and leave such a nice first post! Thankfully Virginia is noble enough to recognize its citizen's God given right to self defense and yeah, it take a bit of getting used to.

I think you'll find that the people here on OCDO are very friendly and genuine. There's a wealthof information here, so if you or Nick have any questions, feel free to ask away!

Welcome!
Bob

NRA_Bear

imported post

Sinetty wrote:

Sincerely,
Ashley Marie
Ashely, let me be the first to welcome you aboard (no pun intended :p)! Thanks for taking the time to check us out - see, we're not all that bad ;). I know you're kind of indifferent right now, but y'all are welcome to join us for the next Tidewater Open Carry get together (later this month). Y'all don't need firearms or anything, it's just kind of nice to hang out with some of good guys from the area. Hopefully you can get Nick up here soon!

On a side note, I like your name - my fiancee's name is Dana Marie :D

NRA_Bear

imported post

NRA_Bear wrote:
Sinetty wrote:

Sincerely,
Ashley Marie
Ashely, let me be the first to welcome you aboard (no pun intended :p)! Thanks for taking the time to check us out - see, we're not all that bad ;). I know you're kind of indifferent right now, but y'all are welcome to join us for the next Tidewater Open Carry get together (later this month). Y'all don't need firearms or anything, it's just kind of nice to hang out with some of good guys from the area. Hopefully you can get Nick up here soon!

On a side note, I like your name - my fiancee's name is Dana Marie :D
Crap... BobCav beat me. I guess I'm not the only "AssClown" up this late :lol:

VAopencarry

imported post

Welcome Ashley Marie!!
042.gif

You will find Wisconsin is one of the most restrictive gun states. Most states understand the importance of armed law abiding citizens.

Sinetty

imported post

I want to thank you all for the quick responses. I was very suprised to see all those replies this morning. I suppose WI does have a very strong will against fire arms, hence the fact that you never see them.

But thank you all...

Ashley Marie

And, yes, your fiance has a wonderful name as well!!

D

Desertdoc

imported post

Sinetty wrote:

Sincerely,
Ashley Marie

Ashley,

I was going to ask Nick where he was from but with him at work and me needing to get home i really didnt have a whole lot of time to sit there and BS.I would like to welcomeNick and yourselftoOCDO.If while seeking out more info you and Nick would like to join us for our monthly dinner it will be on April 11 (Please see the April Tidewater thread).

BTW Ashley.... Im John (Friends call me Doc) , nice to meet you. Tell Nick im sorry i dont think i really introduced myself to him either.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Now THIS is what OCDO is all about. Sharing our passions, making new friends and helping othersunderstand the truth without all the hype and fear.

I'm so proud to be a part of this. I..........I..........I need a tissue!

sc1027qc.gif

Wooley

imported post

Doc, where do you work at? I work minor pro hockey as a linesman and was into Pmouth almost monthly getting injurys looked at....

I was at Oceana, got out in Nov to do private work.

Ashley and Nick, welcome. Hopefully I'll get to hang with you guys at a Tidewater get together...I'm known to frequent VB...

Oh, and BobCav...quit being a sissy! :pJust kidding, I don't want you to dislike me...I want to go for a ride in that nice set a wheels ya got sometime!

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Sinetty wrote:
I want to thank you all for the quick responses. I was very suprised to see all those replies this morning. I suppose WI does have a very strong will against fire arms, hence the fact that you never see them.

But thank you all...

Ashley Marie

And, yes, your fiance has a wonderful name as well!!

Wisconsin is actually an open carry state. There's just a lot of what we call "official suppression" of the practice. Also, you can't carry loaded in your car without getting hit with either a carry charge or a loaded firearm in vehicle charge.