• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I dropped my gun in the toilet..

Tomahawk

imported post

Don't know if this affects you, but if that were my gun, I'm not sure I would ever feel comfortable handling it again after this incident without washing my hands afterwards...I know it's irrational, but it's almost like that Seinfeld episode with the girlfreind's toothbrush. Jerry accidentally drops it in the toilet and doesn't tell her until after she uses it. She later gets back at him by using his bathroom and then announcing that 1 item in his bathroom has been in the toilet, guess which one.

If it were me, I might have to trade it in for a new "unsullied" one.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Don't know if this affects you, but if that were my gun, I'm not sure I would ever feel comfortable handling it again after this incident without washing my hands afterwards...I know it's irrational, but it's almost like that Seinfeld episode with the girlfreind's toothbrush. Jerry accidentally drops it in the toilet and doesn't tell her until after she uses it. She later gets back at him by using his bathroom and then announcing that 1 item in his bathroom has been in the toilet, guess which one.

If it were me, I might have to trade it in for a new "unsullied" one.
Yeah, except the toilet bowl fills with fresh water after you flush lol. I really don't think there's anything to worry about. That is a really funny episode, though!

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

The hands you hold it in most likely have more germs than the bowl it fell in.:what:

If it were me, the gun would have landed on the floor. My wife says I always miss the bowl.:lol:

LoveMyCountry

IanB

imported post

If it was an HK 416 he could have pulled it out and fired it immediatly:lol:

67GT390FB

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
If it was an HK 416 he could have pulled it out and fired it immediatly:lol:

if it was a 1911 he didn't even need to pull it out of the bowl to fire it. though no one would ever commit the sacrilege of dropping a 1911 in the toilet:lol::lol::lol:

i agree buy good condition used smiths leave the stupid post clinton capitulation smiths at the store.

Joe

tattedupboy

imported post

My one stupid gun moment was sometime late in 2004 when I was in a pool hall with my brother carrying concealed. Back then I was new to carrying and used to carry holsterless tucked in my waistband with no round in the chamber. My brother was carrying the same way that day and I pointed out to him that every time he bent over to take a shot, I could see the bulge of his gun. He asked me if I wanted to carry it for him, and I told him sure. I tucked his gun into the waistband of my pants right along with mine. While I was bending over to take a shot, both the guns fell down the legs of my shorts to the floor. All I could do was stand there red faced and embarrassed while everyone else high tailed it out of the pool hall. I went online and did some research about holsters later that night and bought an Uncle Mike's IWB the next day, which I still carry to this day. Also, I now alwayscarry my gun with a round in the chamber.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
If it had been a Llama, could have just flushed.

Okay:?

We've got one shoots just fine, no malfunctions, ect.

I don't see how people can justify spending almost 1000 dollars or more(if you get the high end 1911s) on a piece of gear that is essentially almost 100 years old.

67GT390FB

imported post

jeepinbanditrider wrote:
I don't see how people can justify spending almost 1000 dollars or more(if you get the high end 1911s) on a piece of gear that is essentially almost 100 years old.

The same reason our military still uses the M-2 .50 BMG. If nothing has been invented that is better or more reliable then don't change it. That's why the marines have gone back to 1911's for their special operations forces. The same could be said about S&W revolvers. The Design essentially hasn't changed in 100+/- years. heck you can take a turn of the century(20th) smith and put brand new hogue grips on it as the grips are identical.

Joe

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
jeepinbanditrider wrote:

The same reason our military still uses the M-2 .50 BMG. If nothing has been invented that is better or more reliable then don't change it. That's why the marines have gone back to 1911's for their special operations forces. The same could be said about S&W revolvers. The Design essentially hasn't changed in 100+/- years. heck you can take a turn of the century(20th) smith and put brand new hogue grips on it as the grips are identical.

Joe

The big reason the Marines went back to the 1911 in Force Recon is to go back to the .45ACP round. Since us in the military are stuck using ball ammo the wider the round the larger the permanant wound track will be. This is why I don't like carrying the M9 but I have no problems carrying a 9mm XD outside of my Military duties, I can use a modern Hollow Point round when off duty, but am limited to JHP on duty.

I'm sure that we also got a decent deal on the pistols or we pulled some off some pistol racks somewhere and reworked them. There are .45ACP pistols on the market that can do the job just as well and for less money then makes like Kimber some of Springfields 1911s and other higher end compaines, not to mention they have larger ammuntion capacities unless you are talking about a double stack 1911.

And further more I've seen it happen more than once decissions based on "well that's how its allways been done" or "well that's what I used when I was a young Marine". These don't make the decissions right. It wouldn't suprise me to find out this is another reason that a newer .45acp chambered pistol isn't being used.

Tomahawk

imported post

jeepinbanditrider wrote:

I'm sure that we also got a decent deal on the pistols or we pulled some off some pistol racks somewhere and reworked them. There are .45ACP pistols on the market that can do the job just as well and for less money then makes like Kimber some of Springfields 1911s and other higher end compaines, not to mention they have larger ammuntion capacities unless you are talking about a double stack 1911.

No, the new M-1911-A1s bought by the Marines are made by Kimber, and they're all brand new, not reworks.

Although the official switch to the M9 happened in the eighties, the USMC has maintained many of their old 1911s ever since, and many of them were reworked and issued as "MEU SOC" pistols until the decision to buy new ones was made.

This is in line with the Corps' tradition of maintaining old weapons. There are stories floating around out there of Marines using M-1903A3 Springfields as late as Vietnam.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

This is in line with the Corps' tradition of maintaining old weapons. There are stories floating around out there of Marines using M-1903A3 Springfields as late as Vietnam.
The last time I deployed, we were in Kuwait loading seabags into trucks, so our rifles were in stacks off to the side. I glanced over and saw an M1 Garand amongst a stack of M-16s. I never did bother to find the guy and ask what he was using it for. Someone else mentioned he was probably a sniper for his group.