• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I dropped my gun in the toilet..

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, so we were headed to walmart and I decided I didn't feel like putting on a belt to open carry, so I threw on my handy-dandy holster shirt to carry concealed under a hooded sweatshirt.

(visual aid shown here)
holsterShirt_sized_black_lg.jpg

When I got home, I took the sweatshirt off and just kept my gun in the holster shirt. I wandered around the house doing my normal household things, and at one point decided I needed to use the bathroom. I walked in, and when I bent over to lift the seat, the most horrible thing I could imagine happened.

Without warning, I watched my SW99 .40 do a double reverse somersault into the toilet. I cringed as it hit the seat and dropped into the bowl, then I quickly snatched it out and grabbed a towel. I don't think I've ever cleared and disassembled my gun so fast, lol.

So yeah, I guess the holster shirt is great as long as you don't bend over... I just got done drying and oiling my poor baby before I put her back together.

Anyone else ever have something stupid like this happen? :D

casullshooter

imported post

I was crossing a creek on a log on opening day of Deer season (modern firearms) . The log was wet and I and my 1941 Mauser k98 (collectors grade-all matching #s) both went into the creek waist deep . Outdoor temp. 35 deg. F the barrel jammed into my gut , I am glad the Bayonet wasn't attached . Luckily I had spare clothing in my truck .

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well its a valuable lesson learned relatively cheaply. Fortunately you weren't in public, if I were you I would reconsider using a holster that doesn't retain your gun in all positions.

Tomahawk

imported post

Although funny, this is such a crappy situation, I couldn't squeeze out a laugh. All I could manage was a grunt while reading it, and then I had to wipe the story from my memory and wash my hands of it...

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Although funny, this is such a crappy situation, I couldn't squeeze out a laugh. All I could manage was a grunt while reading it, and then I had to wipe the story from my memory and wash my hands of it...

LMAO!!! EWWWWWWWW..

IanB

imported post

I thought that's where ALL Smith and Wesson belong!:lol:

(just givin ya a hard time man)

http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] The Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. is calling for all supporters of the Second Amendment to vote with their pocket books, and refuse to purchase any products from Smith & Wesson. This boycott is the only viable course of action against a corporate management which has agreed with the Clinton administration to impose regulations on the American people which they could not get from our elected representatives. Smith & Wesson has agreed to impose on its dealers requirements that they not sell guns at gun shows when private sales occur without a background check, even though such sales would otherwise be lawful. Further, each sale of Smith & Wesson firearms must include a written certification that the purchaser has obtained training in the safe handling and storage of firearms.

A more important issue is that guns cannot be transferred as allowed under the Brady Law if the background check is not completed in the legally allowed time. One must wait for the background check to be complete, even if it is dragged out for months. Remember how the National Instant Check System was down for days on the weekend of the so called "Million Mom March?"

The sale of Smith & Wesson to a US based company is irrelevant to the issue. Neither the old company (Tompkins), nor the new company (then called Saf-T-Hammer), have done anything to void the March 17, 2000 agreement. At the February 2002 S. H. O. T. Show in Las Vegas, then Smith & Wesson President, Bob Scott, admitted to me and another activist, that the agreement is still in place, and if we get a new US President, it could immediately be enforced. Please look at the agreement to remind yourself as to how egregious is at:

http://www.hud.gov/library/bookshelf18/pressrel/gunagree.html

The agreement contains nearly all of the items on the gun haters wish list. Please look at the web page. If it doesn't make you angry, you are not a supporter of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution. On principle, we oppose those who would ban Smith & Wesson's new gun, or any other gun. However, we hope no supporter of our gun rights will support Smith & Wesson by purchasing it, or any other of their guns, until they void the HUD agreement.

Let's be clear; Smith & Wesson cannot be allowed to hide behind the notion that we are better off that it is owned by a US company, than an UK company. So far, both companies are exactly the same; they both are supportive of the agreement they made with Clinton's HUD.

Related Links:
http://www.gunowners.org/a03210 0.htm
http://www.ustreas.g ov/press/releases/ls551.htm
http://www.lnei lsmith.com/smithandwessonmustdie.html
http://www.actioname rica.org/guns/swbetray.html
http://hunting. about.com/library/weekly/aa010515.htm
GRPC Resolution Concerning Smith & Wesson
[/font]

VAopencarry

imported post

THAT'S a funny story!! thanks for sharing. Not 100% sure but I don't think those shirts are made to hold a full size gun, are they?

By chance, are you an 0311?:lol:
sterb020.gif

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Way to turn this into a S&W bashing post!! :p lol Anyway S&W makes good guns, and that's all I'm worried about. Hell, you can even drop 'em in the toilet and they still work!

As far as the holster goes, it DOES fit a full-sized auto. In fact, my smaller PPK/s sits lower in the pocket, making for as lower draw. The inherent problem is that the small square of velcro that holds the pocket closed apparently doesn't hold up to the weight of the gun.

This definately isn't a perfect way to carry a weapon, but it's by far the most concealed manner I've found. I think the main thing is that I need to be more aware of the gun while it's on me, and think about what I'm doing. I think I wasn't paying attention because the shirt is padded and VERY comfortable with a gun, so I wasn't as aware as I should have been.

I honestly don't feel stupid about this, since I couldn't have saw it coming. When I first got the shirt I did various activities like running, jumping, sitting, etc and it worked fine. I guess I should add a bathroom break to the list of initial holster tests lol. I'm glad I learned the lesson now :D

Oh, and no, I'm not a grunt. :banghead::D

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I thought that's where ALL Smith and Wesson belong!:lol:

(just givin ya a hard time man)

http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]The Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. is calling for all supporters of the Second Amendment to vote with their pocket books, and refuse to purchase any products from Smith & Wesson. This boycott is the only viable course of action against a corporate management... [/font]

Thank the Lord that the boycott is in effect! Things would be UGLY if it weren't:

Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation Posts Record Third Quarter Sales

Quarterly Sales +39%

Quarterly Net Income +38%

Nine Month Net Income +73%

Thompson/Center Arms Integration on Track and Delivering Results;

Increasing Guidance for Fiscal 2007

SPRINGFIELD, Mass., March 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (Nasdaq: SWHC), parent company of Smith & Wesson Corp., the legendary 155-year old company in the global business of safety, security, protection and sport, today announced financial results for the third fiscal quarter and nine months ended January 31, 2007....

http://ir.smith-wesson.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=90977&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=973168&highlight=

Now, if we can only get that pesky SWHC price to go down where it belongs...

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

I wouldn't have worried about it to much (unless I had to clean a pistol covered in crap). These things get tested in such conditions. I would have removed the ammo and dryed it then field stripped the pistol and blew it out real quick. WIped down to dry out the water and then reoiled it. YOu could have probably grabed it out of the toilet and went to the range to fire a thousand rounds and itwould have ran just fine.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Except for this incident, how would you rate this carry shirt? Does it carry somewhat comfortably? Jostle around a lot?
I really like it. I would have given it a 9/10 originally, the onlyreal conbeing that the draw is slow. Now I'd have to say 8/10 because of this recent experience..

When you're armed, it's VERY comfortable compared to IWB, and can be worn under an average fitting dress-shirt with the gun completely concealed. They (not 5.11...) actually make dress-shirts with "fake" buttons and snaps behind them to make the draw faster. It's really good for a much more casual look as well, worn under a zip-up hoodie. I keep the zipper about half way down, which allows me immediate access, but the shirt looks like a normal undershirt (black or white) as long as the pouches are covered.

As long as you get the appropriate size, the whole shirt is stretchy-tight fitting (like their muscle mapping shirts) so it keeps the gun very close to your body. I can imagine that it would work better for people with more of a wedge figure (bigger shoulders and chest, smaller waist) than someone shaped the opposite way.

It alsomakes you look buff :dude:, and keeps you cool and dry. Oh yeah, and the pouches are protected from body sweat.
I wouldn't have worried about it to much (unless I had to clean a pistol covered in crap). These things get tested in such conditions. I would have removed the ammo and dryed it then field stripped the pistol and blew it out real quick. WIped down to dry out the water and then reoiled it. YOu could have probably grabed it out of the toilet and went to the range to fire a thousand rounds and itwould have ran just fine.

Thats exactly what i did, minus the range part. I just used the blow dryer since it was handy (ya know, in the bathroom and all). I was more concerned about it hitting the toilet (didn't want to mess up my new night-sights) than I was with it getting wet.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

Now that I think about it I would be more worried about the toilet than the gun. That toilet porcilen is pretty brittle.

When I was growing up I wanted to see how a toilet worked so I took the back off of it and looked inside. Afterwards I went to put the lid back on and I dropped it on the back side of the bowl. I didn't see any damage to it so I put everything back the way I found it and left.

About 2 hrs later I hear a toilet flush and hear my dad saying words he didn't say to often in a very loud voice. I ran in there and there was about 2in. of water in the bathroom floor:what:.

Turns out when I dropped it it cracked the bowl down the backside and didn't notice it. After a few mins. of interrogation from my dad he had the whole story. I didn't get in to much trouble I had to learn how to install a new toilet bowl though:uhoh:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

DreQo wrote:
When I got home, I took the sweatshirt off and just kept my gun in the holster shirt. I wandered around the house doing my normal household things, and at one point decided I needed to use the bathroom. I walked in, and when I bent over to lift the seat, the most horrible thing I could imagine happened.

I've figured out who is to blame, and its not the shirt.

I'm afraid you will have to blame the lady of the house. If the seat was in the proper position, your pistol wouldn't have been 'sullied'. :p