• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman's Life Saved By Gun Carrier

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

A hero with a gun...

A death averted

Passer-by uses gun to halt attack

March 5, 2007

By Nicklaus Lovelady

As customers watched in horror Sunday afternoon, a man stabbed a woman and attempted to set her on fire in the parking lot of a Jackson store, witnesses said. The attack was stopped by a passer-by, who held the man at gunpoint until police arrived, witnesses said.

The suspect, Henry Watson, 42, was arrested and is expected to face aggravated assault charges, Jackson Police Department Cmdr. Lee Vance said. Watson's wife, Gracie Watson, 42, was transported to the University of Mississippi Medical center, where she was listed in good condition.

"It wasn't five minutes from when she had left my line when I heard a scream outside," said Theresa Stuckey, a cashier at the Family Dollar at 516 Nakoma Drive in Jackson. "I looked out, and (the attacker) was on top of her stabbing her, and stabbing her and stabbing her.

"She was screaming, 'Help, he's trying to kill me!' She was rolling on the ground, trying to get out of the way, but he kept stabbing her. He stabbed her about 20 times in the neck, back and arms."

As the attack continued, people were yelling at the man to stop and honking their horns, Stuckey said. She said she called 911.

"He was just standing over her hacking away," said Dolly Baker, who had just left the Save-A-Lot store next door when she saw the attack.

Baker said she watched the man pour gasoline on the victim then try to strike a match.

"He was literally trying to kill that lady in broad daylight," she said.

Baker said a passer-by stopped the attack.

"He told the man, 'Stop, or I'm going to shoot. And if you run, I'm going to kill you,' " Baker said.

The man held Watson at bay until police arrived at the scene.

"Right now, all we know is that (Watson) attacked his wife. For what reason, we don't know," Jackson Police Department Sgt. Eric Smith said.

Police said they are looking for the passer-by who stopped the attack and would like to talk to him but don't know who he is or where he went.

The incident occurred about 3:50 p.m.

Smith said he did not know exactly how many times Gracie Watson was stabbed but said it was more than 10 times.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007703050350

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

And he didn't stick around for the "glory". He already has his reward. Gotta respect that.

I hope he only meant"if you run I'm gonna kill you" to scare the crap outta this dirtbag. I'd hate to have seen the story read different wherehe shot the fleeing suspect and ended up beingarrested himself.

Greatstory Hank, thanks for posting it.

IanB

imported post

As the attack continued, people were yelling at the man to stop and honking their horns, Stuckey said. She said she called 911.

Why do you need a gun mister?

It's much more effective than a car horn.

VAopencarry

imported post

Doesn't sound the the police did a very good job securing the scene. How do you let an armed man in the middle of a violent crime walk away. Seems to me they would prone everyone until they sorted out who was who. Any cops know the procedure for this?

cato

imported post

Things can get chaotic, especially when you're handcuffing a suspect doused with gasoline, and muscling him into an ambulance or police car.

I've had witnesses and even victims walk away from me under the assumption that I've gotten everything I needwhen in fact I've gone to get other information, talk to a supervisor, or another wit. or victim. Even though I've asked them to stand by.

Thankfully for the good guy they didn't treat him as a BG. That can happen to when we just arrive and haven't sorted out who is who.

Your right though, putting everybody on the ground is sometimes the safest optionfor all involved. You just have to take in the situation as you arrive considering the information dispatch has provided which is sometimes very inconclusive.

VAopencarry

imported post

Thanks cato, guess I could have figured that out for myself if I would I have noodled it through for a second. Wonder if maybe the Good Guy wasn't supposed to be carrying and walked away after being told to 'stand over there'.