• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retention holster for Ruger P-89

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I have been conceal carrying my Ruger P-89in an old Uncle Mike's "Sidekick" fannypack and done myOC in a Bianchi nylon holster.

Neither are very secure in the retention deparment. In fact, I feel more vulnerable conceal carrying than I do when I OC in the thumb break holster. Aside from the velcro belt loop and the plastic pinch buckle, there is nothing to securethe fanny packfrom a snatch. With the Bianchi holster- there's only the strap keeping it in.

So, in order to continue and expandmy OC activities, Im looking for a retention holster for my Ruger. It appears my options are limited.

This is what I have found on the web so far;

http://www.etsoutdoors.com/client/details.php?pid2=UM95211
95211-lg.jpg

Its an Uncle Mike's Pro-3 duty holster. And the only level 3 retention holster I could find madefor my pistol. Anyone have other resources or opinions?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Since there were no other opinions, I went ahead and bought the Pro-3 retention holster. It seems that since it is a duty holster I'm now committed to a duty belt and keepersas well, because the belt attachment while adjustable for tension, is slotted for a 2 inch wide belt. On my regular dress belt, the holster slops around making the prospect of twisting the holster apart very conceivable.

All this extra caution and the abundance of duty gear makes this less and less convenient. And sort of gives me the feeling that perhaps this is excessive- maybe making outsiders view me as a'wannabe cop'. (And no, I have no desire to be an LEO.)

Any suggestions to dispel either this feeling or outward impression?

Should this be simpler, or am I making too much of this?

kurtmax_0

imported post

I don't think this would make you look like a 'wannabe cop'. I'm waiting for my SERPA CQC and mag pouch before I OC. If it doesn't work well with my current belts, i'm gonna have to buy a larger belt and probably new pants.....

I think it shows that you care more about not getting your piece stolen, not looking like a cop. If it makes people think you are a cop, I suppose it's not a bad thing anyways: Less "ZOMG A MAN WITH A GUN ZOMG" incidents!

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I got a duty belt yesterday and mated my Pro-3 retention holster and my double mag pouch to it. Photo below is the result, sans keepers. These 'keepers' are snaps that encircle both the duty belt and the dress belt so that when you move the duty belt doesnt migrate. The duty belt is too big to fit inside standardbelt loops.I thought at first I might not need them, but just sitting down once proved me wrong.

Attachments

• carryoptions.jpg
    carryoptions.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 274

Mack 12ga.

imported post

I am also looking for a level III holster and found the Safariland 070 SS III, it is also available in a Ruger P-89.

It is however a police duty holster, but I see no reason whywe cant use it, I have put in a thread to get some feed back on it, so far I am thinking of getting one for my self, but that could change if I get back bad feed back.

Cant have to many holsters. I've got half adozen concealed holsters. and still use most of them depending my mood. and what I ware.

Mack 12ga.

imported post

Also I would suggest getting a Galco dress belt in 1.75 in. it is the best belt I ever bought, it is two layers of leather with a strip of plastic sown in the middle.

My first one lasted about 41/2 yrs be for the leather wore out at the buckle. ( what a bummer) but I still love my new one.

It will help in keeping your holsters from sagging.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Mack 12ga. wrote:
I am also looking for a level III holster and found the Safariland 070 SS III, it is also available in a Ruger P-89.

It is however a police duty holster, but I see no reason whywe cant use it, I have put in a thread to get some feed back on it, so far I am thinking of getting one for my self, but that could change if I get back bad feed back.

Cant have to many holsters. I've got half adozen concealed holsters. and still use most of them depending my mood. and what I ware.

No, there is no reason not to use a holster usually used by police.

I like my Pro-3 holster- its easy to draw from and I feel confident that I would be able to retain my weapon should someone attempt a snatch. I would say though, that the weak spot is the three machine screws holding the holster to the belt tension device. I can imagine someone putting sufficient force downward to break the high impact plastic where those three screws are threaded into the holster plate. I think I would be interested in how much force would be required, but admittedly nothing iscompletely impervious to damage.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mack 12ga. wrote:
Also I would suggest getting a Galco dress belt in 1.75 in. it is the best belt I ever bought, it is two layers of leather with a strip of plastic sown in the middle.

My first one lasted about 41/2 yrs be for the leather wore out at the buckle. ( what a bummer) but I still love my new one.

It will help in keeping your holsters from sagging.
I was looking at those. Good to hear you like it. Gotta get me one of those, thanks!

Mack 12ga.

imported post

I'm Sher you wont be disappointed, it's gotta be about the best one out there. Let us know what YOU think when you get yours.:cool:

P.S The wife said I haditmore like 7 - 8 + yrs,..... HAS IT BIN THAT LONG ??? ...dam Alzheimer's :shock:

Also I miss spoke it's not the dress belt, the dress belt is 1.25 in., I was talking about the sb5 1.75 in. sport belt. sorry for any confusion.

Mjolnir

imported post

Couple things here.

Your ammo is on the wrong side, it needs to be on your weak side where you can grab it quickly and easily while indexing the mag for a fast reload & not having to reach across your body.

Yes it looks like you are a "security guard" kind of LEO want-to-be bt using a duty holster and belt/keepers. However, if you are out in the boonies away from populated areas, no big deak. However, do not be suprized if somebody calls 911 on ya for wearing it around in public.

Why do you veel vunerable when concealed carrying? If done properly nobody but you knows you have a weapon.

Do you practice weapon retention tactics?

What's your mindset when out in public armed, are you in condition white & that's why you feel vunerable?

Training, take a course from Front Sight, they are one of the best going http://www.frontsight.com/

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
Couple things here.

Your ammo is on the wrong side, it needs to be on your weak side where you can grab it quickly and easily while indexing the mag for a fast reload & not having to reach across your body.

Yes it looks like you are a "security guard" kind of LEO want-to-be bt using a duty holster and belt/keepers. However, if you are out in the boonies away from populated areas, no big deak. However, do not be suprized if somebody calls 911 on ya for wearing it around in public.

Why do you veel vunerable when concealed carrying? If done properly nobody but you knows you have a weapon.

Do you practice weapon retention tactics?

What's your mindset when out in public armed, are you in condition white & that's why you feel vunerable?

Training, take a course from Front Sight, they are one of the best going http://www.frontsight.com/
Mjolnir-

I have put some thought into the placement of my mag carrier. I situated it in this fashion for what can only be described as a form of"California Carry". In California, PC 12031 forbids carry of a loaded weapon inside incorporated areas like city limits. There are few restrictions on carrying an unloaded weapon. So in order to facilitate compliance to PC12031 I would need to unloadbefore enteringcity limits. This leaves the magazine well empty- To load all I need to do is sweep my hand over the mag carrier with one hand, grasp the magazine and insert it into the mag well with my strong hand before popping the thumb break to draw and charge a round into the chamber. The second magazine, should I ever need it, would be drawn with my strong hand while dropping the empty mag with my weak hand. This is simply the way I have practiced it.

As for someone dialing 911, it hasnt happened yet. Please check the California section for my posts.

I practice retention insofar as I understand the basics of situational and proximity awareness. I got the Pro-3 holster to assist in maintaining possession of my sidearm. I'm currently seeking local training for that exact purpose.

Now again- the reason I feel more vulnerable conceal carrying is that there are NO retention features on a concealment waistpack-If someone chose to grab the belt on the waistpack they could use sufficient force to break theABS plasticbuckle and I would have nothing to hold on to.So it is either the waistpack or open carry. I am not going to shove a pistol in a IWB holster down my pants and wear additional cover garments in 110 degree summer heat.

My mindset when I go publically armed is sharpened- I am very aware of what is going on around me. I feel that being required to conceal is a violation of my rights denying me equal access to my weapon on the basis that someone might be offended or afraid of something they do not understand.

So do you have any more advice you would like to dispense for my benefit? If so, feel free to PM me.

Mjolnir

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:

So do you have any more advice you would like to dispense for my benefit? If so, feel free to PM me.
Move out of Kalif :cool::cool::cool::cool:

But then again, if ya really like walking aroound with a empty weapon & think ya can load it fast enough instead of carrying a loaded and concealed weapon more power to ya.

If you are so alert and aware of your souroundings why are you afraid somebody will sneak up on you & make off with your "concealed weapon"

However, I bow to you and your training/knowledge and hopefull will never read aboout how somebody took an unloaded firearm from somebody in Kalif open carrying.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:

But then again, if ya really like walking aroound with a empty weapon & think ya can load it fast enough instead of carrying a loaded and concealed weapon more power to ya.

If you are so alert and aware of your souroundings why are you afraid somebody will sneak up on you & make off with your "concealed weapon"

However, I bow to you and your training/knowledge and hopefull will never read aboout how somebody took an unloaded firearm from somebody in Kalif open carrying.
Further offtopic-

Im not moving from my birthplace to satisfya need for easyliberty among strangers that neither appreciate their circumstances nor sacrifice to maintain it. (Insert Thomas Paine quote here...)

I do not like walking around with an empty weapon, but this is the extent by which I can excersize my right to keep and bear arms under certain specific circumstances. What happens if I chosenot to exert myself at all? Abilities atrophy and obsolese, or worse, are outlawed. It is time to stand up in the face of tyranny and push back when and where we can, even in California.

Alertness, my friend, is not a perfect tool in preparedness. It is possible to be fully alert to your circumstances and still be bum rushed in a crowd, whether carrying concealed or openly- the difference is that the rig above stands a chance a thwarting a snatch.

Your tone throughoutsuggests condescension and distain for my activities and philosophy- So why should I believe you when you hope not to read of my failures?

Please disregard my previous offer to hear your advice by PM. I think I have had my fill.

Mack 12ga.

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Mjolnir wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:

Further offtopic-

Im not moving from my birthplace to satisfya need for easyliberty among strangers that neither appreciate their circumstances nor sacrifice to maintain it. (Insert Thomas Paine quote here...)

I do not like walking around with an empty weapon, but this is the extent by which I can excersize my right to keep and bear arms under certain specific circumstances. What happens if I chosenot to exert myself at all? Abilities atrophy and obsolese, or worse, are outlawed. It is time to stand up in the face of tyranny and push back when and where we can, even in California.

Alertness, my friend, is not a perfect tool in preparedness. It is possible to be fully alert to your circumstances and still be bum rushed in a crowd, whether carrying concealed or openly- the difference is that the rig above stands a chance a thwarting a snatch.

Your tone throughoutsuggests condescension and distain for my activities and philosophy- So why should I believe you when you hope not to read of my failures?

Please disregard my previous offer to hear your advice by PM. I think I have had my fill.
You are right, this member seems to think that he is invincible and the rest of use should be inaah of him and his achievements and that the rest of use are walking around with our heads in the clouds, I also have had him comment on a Post with the same attitude and I tried to be polite being new to this site but I wanted to back you up on your comments.

I know for a fact that I'm a force not to be reckoned with as Im sure you all are, but I'm not going to lye to myself and think that I'm invincible and cant be approached, having a right to open carry also gives us a duty to seek the proper training both in handling a gun as well as retention and confiscation ( you might need to take yours back). it also gives us a duty to seek the best equipment I.E guns, holster ect. to help not only keep us safe but to keep our firearms out of the hands of BG's not only for our sake but for the gen. public.

I think his attitude needs to be more helpful than condescending, we all know what a bad a__ he is and we are all impressed. And I to think he should not respond to my inquiries unless he has some helpful sugestions.