• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I like to write letters

drur

imported post

Warning: Some victims are armed
Tuesday, April 3, 2007

To the editor:This is an open letter to those in the Cape Girardeau area who have recently relied on armed robbery as a way to make a living:
Dear Criminal: Although most of you are not intelligent enough to read the newspaper, I do feel compelled to write a letter concerning your recent career choice. You may not be aware, but a few years ago Missouri passed a concealed-carry law allowing its law-abiding citizens to carry a concealed weapon. What this means is you have a distinct possibility of robbing someone who may possess the means to defend himself. I happen to be one of those people. If you are unlucky enough to choose me as your victim, know that I will assume one thing when you point your firearm at me: You intend to kill me. I will use every means possible to make sure that does not happen. In the future, please take this into consideration before you decide to point a weapon at someone. It may be the last time you ever do it.

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1196570.html

This was a letter I wrote Sunday evening that was published 3 Apr 07.
Although not open carry related (OC is in violation of a city ordinance in Cape Girardeau), it lets the criminals know where they stand in my book.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Interesting letter.

Just out of curiosity, who is your target audience for it?

Also, if you signed your real name, is that wise?

drur

imported post

The letter was published in our local daily newspaper (Southeast Missourian). So my target audience would be anyone who reads the newspaper. This is a relatively small town and many folks who know me had nothing but positive comments.

As far as publishing my name? I have absolutly no problem with folks having knowledge of my CCW status. I would open carry if Cape Girardeau allowed it. If all law abiding citizens carried weapons, violent crimes would be seriously curtailed.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

HankT wrote:
Interesting letter.

I liked the letter.

The difference between this and a newspaper publishing a list of permit/license holders is permission. While Id be offended for a paper making this choice for me, I dont think 'outting yourself' is that dangerous or damaging.

I used to be concerned about who knew I carried, but keeping it secret just seems to reinforce the idea that guns are bad and only the only people who carry guns are POLICE and CRIMINALS. Im coming to the conclusion that being required to keep my pistol concealed is a form of legal discrimination.

Imagine- a minority citizen being told that to asserttheir 'rights', they must submit to finger printing, a background check, be forced to volunteer information about any criminal history, be forced to sign a statement to guarantee this under penalty of perjury, be told they must keep their minority status hidden from public view, keeptheir whereabouts updated, and be told that their papers could be revoked on demandby law enforcement.

If we were talking about skin color or religion, this would be an outrage. This might be acceptable if we were talking about a class of people already convicted of a crime- such as a sex offender... But we are talking about innocent people.

We shouldnt be afraid to be who we arewhen weexcersize our perrogatives.

Say it loud- Im armed and proud!

drur

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
HankT wrote:
Interesting letter.

I liked the letter.

The difference between this and a newspaper publishing a list of permit/license holders is permission. While Id be offended for a paper making this choice for me, I dont think 'outting yourself' is that dangerous or damaging.

I used to be concerned about who knew I carried, but keeping it secret just seems to reinforce the idea that guns are bad and only the only people who carry guns are POLICE and CRIMINALS. Im coming to the conclusion that being required to keep my pistol concealed is a form of legal discrimination.

Imagine- a minority citizen being told that to asserttheir 'rights', they must submit to finger printing, a background check, be forced to volunteer information about any criminal history, be forced to sign a statement to guarantee this under penalty of perjury, be told they must keep their minority status hidden from public view, keeptheir whereabouts updated, and be told that their papers could be revoked on demandby law enforcement.

If we were talking about skin color or religion, this would be an outrage. This might be acceptable if we were talking about a class of people already convicted of a crime- such as a sex offender... But we are talking about innocent people.

We shouldnt be afraid to be who we arewhen weexcersize our perrogatives.

Say it loud- Im armed and proud!

AMEN! Wow, I couldn't have said it any better myself.

I would like to add that the only personal information given was my name. In states where the CCW database is open to the public (Missouri is NOT one of those states), the press has published addresses, phone numbers and other important personal information.

I am a strong advocate for open carry but am forced by a stupid f***in city ordinance to conceal my weapon for fear of upsetting the sheeple.