• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HELP ME!! Almost arrested in Wal-Mart by Suffolk police tonight!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
If your being charged with a Class 3 or 4 misdemeanor you may want to produce that ID so you can sign your summons and walk away. Not showing your ID would result in your being arrested and you do not get out of jail till you prove who you are.
Well, no, there is no stautory requirement to have or show ID to sign a summons, and the law is very clear, the police in VA MUST, as a general rume, release on summons for ALL misdemeanors, not just class 3/4.

adamwa

imported post

It would take me about 20 minutes to get to that walmart, if there is any interest in carrying there i'm in.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

What kind of online record will be kept of Mercutio's incident? If any, what will it likely say and how long will stay in SPD records?

Will it come up for an LEO in VA if, say, Mercutio is stopped for a broken tail light and he furnishes his DL?

Anyone know?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

One VERY important point that this incident brings to the front is in regard to the initial contact on being stopped. Any time an Officer starts of with "Do you know why I stopped you?" The answer should ALWAYS be "No".

That question is specifically designed to determine two things. The first is did you knowingly violate some law that was the original reason you drew the officers attention. The second reason is more of a fishing expedition to see if you may be nervous about something else you are doing that might also be illegal, but that the Officer has not yet observed.

By answering "No" to such a question you force the Officer to articulate the actual reason he felt he had cause to stop you. The "articulation" of the cause is an important element of a lawful stop, and it sets the context for all events that follow.

This is a rule of conduct that all persons should use when dealing with a first contact with Law enforcement. Moreover, you need not ask why. You may ask why, but it is not necessary. If the Officer does not respond with a reason, he may not have had a good reason, and you should not provide him with one.

This incident might have gone in a completely different direction had Mercutio not stated "because of my sidearm". That statement led the first Officer to believe that YOU thought there was a problem the Officer should be interested in related to your possession of the weapon, and it set the tone for what followed.

That does not diminish the fact that the Officers overreacted and may have over stepped the law. But that determination depends on how they were brought to the scene, and what involvement the store managers may have had in the situation.

Regards

LEO 229

imported post

Mike wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
If your being charged with a Class 3 or 4 misdemeanor you may want to produce that ID so you can sign your summons and walk away. Not showing your ID would result in your being arrested and you do not get out of jail till you prove who you are.
Well, no, there is no stautory requirement to have or show ID to sign a summons, and the law is very clear, the police in VA MUST, as a general rume, release on summons for ALL misdemeanors, not just class 3/4.

I am not saying you have to physically possess an ID card... Just that you need to prove who you are.

Current Virginia law already provides police the flexibility to arrest persons suspected of committing misdemeanors if the police can articulate why they suspect the individual: (1) is intoxicated; (2) is not likely to show up for the hearing listed on the summons; (3) is refusing to discontinue the allegedly unlawful conduct; or (4) is likely to hurt himself or others.

So you can see that there are times that you can be arrested no mater what the class is.

Class 1 and 2 are CCRE reportable so that means you would be fingerprinted and photographed. Class 3 and 4 are summons only. So unless you met some of the criteria above.. A class 3 or 4 would result in a summons only either on the street.. or in front of the Magistrate.

My point on the classes being... You could get a summons for class 1 or 2 but if you are arrested.... You get printed and photographed instead.

LEO 229

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
One VERY important point that this incident brings to the front is in regard to the initial contact on being stopped. Any time an Officer starts of with "Do you know why I stopped you?" The answer should ALWAYS be "No".

That question is specifically designed to determine two things. The first is did you knowingly violate some law that was the original reason you drew the officers attention. The second reason is more of a fishing expedition to see if you may be nervous about something else you are doing that might also be illegal, but that the Officer has not yet observed.

By answering "No" to such a question you force the Officer to articulate the actual reason he felt he had cause to stop you. The "articulation" of the cause is an important element of a lawful stop, and it sets the context for all events that follow.

This is a rule of conduct that all persons should use when dealing with a first contact with Law enforcement. Moreover, you need not ask why. You may ask why, but it is not necessary. If the Officer does not respond with a reason, he may not have had a good reason, and you should not provide him with one.

This incident might have gone in a completely different direction had Mercutio not stated "because of my sidearm". That statement led the first Officer to believe that YOU thought there was a problem the Officer should be interested in related to your possession of the weapon, and it set the tone for what followed.

That does not diminish the fact that the Officers overreacted and may have over stepped the law. But that determination depends on how they were brought to the scene, and what involvement the store managers may have had in the situation.

Regards
I completly agree..

LEO 229

imported post

HankT wrote:
What kind of online record will be kept of Mercutio's incident? If any, what will it likely say and how long will stay in SPD records?

Will it come up for an LEO in VA if, say, Mercutio is stopped for a broken tail light and he furnishes his DL?

Anyone know?

They may or may not even write it up. It could be written as a Police Service or Suspicious Person. If not just closed as a Civil. A written report stays forever in the files.

No other department will ever know that he was approached.

acrimsontide

imported post

Question for LEO 229. In the situation that occured in the Wal-Mart, would the response "because I can" be an appropriate response to a LEO? It seems to me that response would create an unnecessary confrontational attitude. I remember when I was a kid and asked my Dad "why" about something he told me to do, he would respond "because I said so". It always pissed me off because I wanted an explaination and didn't get one. What are your thoughts and would that response have upset you?

LEO 229

imported post

acrimsontide wrote:
Question for LEO 229. In the situation that occured in the Wal-Mart, would the response "because I can" be an appropriate response to a LEO? It seems to me that response would create an unnecessary confrontational attitude. I remember when I was a kid and asked my Dad "why" about something he told me to do, he would respond "because I said so". It always pissed me off because I wanted an explaination and didn't get one. What are your thoughts and would that response have upset you?
What if I was to arrest you and when you asked why I answer... "Because I can! That's why!" :DMan that would tick you off.. You really did want to know.

Ya, not a good response. This would tick off anyone. Honest questions deserve an honest answer. Give the officer some attitude andhe will be sure to try and charge you with SOMETHING just to get you back.

Just tell him why. "I carry for personal protection." This is the same reason people carry concealed. You may not have your CCHpermit yet or lack the clothing to cover it up.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

adamwa wrote:
It would take me about 20 minutes to get to that walmart, if there is any interest in carrying there i'm in.
I'm game. Doc where you at, lets go. Tonight. Is 6259 College Drive, Suffolk, the correct store?

acrimsontide

imported post

LEO 229. My thoughts exactly. I'm in no way trying to excuse the actions of the LEOs in this situation but LEO's are human and that response would have ticked me off. ESPECIALLY from a person that I thought to be underage who then would not provide ID. Several things may have contributed to making this situation worse than it might have been. Some things that come to mind: 2AM, a time when stores are less crowded combined with an armed individual who, at least to the LEO, seemed to be uncooperative. MAYBE, the officers detained him longer than they would have just because THEY could!!!!! I know that I have walked away from some posssible confrontations just because I was armed. I personally think that being armed, whether open or concealed brings a lot of responsibility. For example, if a legally armed citizen makes any kind of remark that could escalate a situation and then had to use their weapon for self defense, it could add to the legal problems. Just my opinion, and I don't mean to cast blame one way or another in this situation. Just trying to see all parts of the issue.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I am not saying you have to physically possess an ID card... Just that you need to prove who you are.
. . .
Class 1 and 2 are CCRE reportable so that means you would be fingerprinted and photographed.
No, you are wrong - no need to "prove" who your are, just discontinue the unlawful act, provide name and address, andsign the summons; and that goes for Class 1/2 also - so says a unanimous decision from the Virginia Supreme Court inMoore v. Commonwealth, 636 S.E.2d 395 (2006) (suppressing evidence obtained pursuant to search incident to arrest for a class 1 midemeanor because the arrest was unlawful in that arrest for Class 1 midemeanors are generally statutorily prohibited by Va. Code). See also the 1991 formal VA AG Opinion by Mary Sue Terry declared that the plain meaning of § 19.2-74 is that an "Arresting Officer Is Required to Release Person Under § 19.2-74 Unless Officer Determines that Person Qualifies for One or More Specified Exceptions to Summons Procedure." Va. Op. Atty. Gen. 127, WL 531052 (Va. A.G.). No authority before or after this AG opinion conflicts on this question.

Highlander

imported post

But don't you think the officer should prove who you are before issuing a summons? The easiest way is to check an identification card. If I'm a cop and have to issue a summons to a guy for doing whatever misdemeanor, and he gives me the name of Joe Smith when his real name is Joe Blow, what do I really accomplish?

This leaves the door wide open for someone to give false information to the officer and to be never found again.

D

Desertdoc

imported post

Lets not let this get off topic. Has VCDL been notified?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I am not saying you have to physically possess an ID card...  Just that you need to prove who you are.
. . .
Class 1 and 2 are CCRE reportable so that means you would be fingerprinted and photographed.
No, you are wrong - no need to "prove" who your are, just discontinue the unlawful act, provide name and address, and sign the summons; and that goes for Class 1/2 also - so says a unanimous decision from the Virginia Supreme Court in Moore v. Commonwealth, 636 S.E.2d 395 (2006) (suppressing evidence obtained pursuant to search incident to arrest for a class 1 misdemeanor because the arrest was unlawful in that arrest for Class 1 misdemeanors are generally statutorily prohibited by Va. Code).  See also the 1991 formal VA AG Opinion by Mary Sue Terry declared that the plain meaning of § 19.2-74 is that an "Arresting Officer Is Required to Release Person Under § 19.2-74 Unless Officer Determines that Person Qualifies for One or More Specified Exceptions to Summons Procedure." Va. Op. Atty. Gen. 127, WL 531052 (Va. A.G.).  No authority before or after this AG opinion conflicts on this question.

Lets see... 2:00 am on Easter Sunday morning. A person is seen in a store carrying a sidearm. He is stopped by 4 police officers, who are not certain of the law and my be upset by the responses they are getting. He turns out to be under 21 which raises addition issues. The situation may be aggravated by the perceived attitude of the suspect.

This certainly sounds like the time to press your rights to the limit and explain the finer points of the Terry decision. If you don't think this situation would raise suspicion, you are not familiar with bible belt Virginia.

The fact is that if the Officers had an articulatable cause for the initial stop, and they cannot identify the person, they WILL in many cases take the person into custody until they can make a positive ID. It is a fact no matter what the law says. Ninety-nine times out of 100 the person will take no action against them beyond a complaint if this happens. Welcome to post 9/11 America.

The simple way to avoid the issue is to provide your ID if you have one. If you are carrying a weapon and you are not carrying an ID you are asking for trouble no matter what the law says. That is just the reality of things.

While right and wrong may seem very clear in front of a keyboard the next day, the fact is that it does not work that way in the real world. Pushing your rights to the limit needs to be tempered by reason and thoughtful discourse. If it is not then you can expect to have your rights routinely violated in more serious ways, because you are asking for it.

This situation went sour long before any issue related to detention arose, and in fact the issue of detention was raised by the conduct of the suspect himself. The two hours was spent looking for a reason to arrest him simply because in their view he was belligerent and the situation looked suspicious to them.

All he had to do was say "No I do not know why you stopped me." The Officer would have very likely asked why he had a weapon, and he could have simply said, "It is late at night and I have it for self defense." This would have set a completely different stage for the events that followed. The Officer would likely have asked for an ID, and the guy would have been on his way.

These situations do not happen in a vacuum, and you need to think about that and pick your fights. On Friday a man was charged with providing his underage son with firearms that were subsequently used to kill two Police Officers in Fairfax County. I can assure you these four Officers knew about that.

Regards

IanB

imported post

You only have to show your ID when your operating a motor vehicle on a highway or recklessly on private property. All other times is optional. However..... you can be detained for as long as necessary till your identify can be obtained depending on the situation.

You must have ID and produce on demand if you carry concealed as well.

Dan H

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Mike wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I am not saying you have to physically possess an ID card...  Just that you need to prove who you are.
. . .
No, you are wrong - no need to "prove" who your are, just discontinue the unlawful act, provide name and address, and sign the summons; and that goes for Class 1/2 also - so says a unanimous decision from the Virginia Supreme Court in Moore v. Commonwealth, 636 S.E.2d 395 (2006) (suppressing evidence obtained pursuant to search incident to arrest for a class 1 misdemeanor because the arrest was unlawful in that arrest for Class 1 misdemeanors are generally statutorily prohibited by Va. Code).  See also the 1991 formal VA AG Opinion by Mary Sue Terry declared that the plain meaning of § 19.2-74 is that an "Arresting Officer Is Required to Release Person Under § 19.2-74 Unless Officer Determines that Person Qualifies for One or More Specified Exceptions to Summons Procedure." Va. Op. Atty. Gen. 127, WL 531052 (Va. A.G.).  No authority before or after this AG opinion conflicts on this question.

Lets see... 2:00 am on Easter Sunday morning. A person is seen in a store carrying a sidearm. He is stopped by 4 police officers, who are not certain of the law and my be upset by the responses they are getting. He turns out to be under 21 which raises addition issues. The situation may be aggravated by the perceived attitude of the suspect.

This certainly sounds like the time to press your rights to the limit and explain the finer points of the Terry decision. If you don't think this situation would raise suspicion, you are not familiar with bible belt Virginia.

The fact is that if the Officers had an articulatable cause for the initial stop, and they cannot identify the person, they WILL in many cases take the person into custody until they can make a positive ID. It is a fact no matter what the law says. Ninety-nine times out of 100 the person will take no action against them beyond a complaint if this happens. Welcome to post 9/11 America.

The simple way to avoid the issue is to provide your ID if you have one. If you are carrying a weapon and you are not carrying an ID you are asking for trouble no matter what the law says. That is just the reality of things.

While right and wrong may seem very clear in front of a keyboard the next day, the fact is that it does not work that way in the real world. Pushing your rights to the limit needs to be tempered by reason and thoughtful discourse. If it is not then you can expect to have your rights routinely violated in more serious ways, because you are asking for it.

This situation went sour long before any issue related to detention arose, and in fact the issue of detention was raised by the conduct of the suspect himself. The two hours was spent looking for a reason to arrest him simply because in their view he was belligerent and the situation looked suspicious to them.

All he had to do was say "No I do not know why you stopped me." The Officer would have very likely asked why he had a weapon, and he could have simply said, "It is late at night and I have it for self defense." This would have set a completely different stage for the events that followed. The Officer would likely have asked for an ID, and the guy would have been on his way.

These situations do not happen in a vacuum, and you need to think about that and pick your fights. On Friday a man was charged with providing his underage son with firearms that were subsequently used to kill two Police Officers in Fairfax County. I can assure you these four Officers knew about that.

Regards

Agreed

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
adamwa wrote:
I'm game. Doc where you at, lets go. Tonight. Is 6259 College Drive, Suffolk, the correct store?
Let us know how it goes!

adamwa

imported post

wanna set a time to meet at the walmart? i just went to portsmouth walmart, they had 6 cops in front, some were walking through the parking lot, some were inside, some were by the front doors, they didn't care i was open carrying. it was packed, took about 30 minutes for the line at the register. no problem at all.