• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Problem

worrbaron

imported post

So I was open carrying in my local Wal-Mart, it is not against their policy and I talked to two store managers about some electronics and they did not mention my firearm. Fast forward to the next day and a police officer came to my house and asked me about carrying there. He presented me with security photos and he asked if that was me and I told him it was and Iasked if there was an issue. He smiled and said no and appeared to be relieved that it was me. He said some people from MA had complained that I was carrying openly, he then said that I was perfectly legal to carry like that and to just be careful because there are crazy people out there who do not understand the law. Has anyone here ever had a similar issue with open carry?

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't understand what happened here. If you were known to be completely within your rights to carry there, why did the LEO come to your house and make any issue at all? Shouldn't someone have just told the PRMA subjects that they were back in the United States (Maine) where such behavior has always been legal?

One of our group here had a similar situation about a year ago: He was gassing up at a nearby station when some Canadian tourist freaked out and called 911. The LEO spoke with the Virginian, explaining why he had been called, then went over and explained to the Canadian that no law was being broken. The incredulous Canadian left in a stae of angry perplexity, and the LEO came over to the Virginian, shaking his head saying "Canadians!!"

By the way, I still have fond memories of summer vacations at Grand Lake Stream and Big Lake. Beautiful state and great people! ( Don't get me started about my days in PRMA!)

worrbaron

imported post

Maine is a great state, but I amgetting tired of this outside interference ruining our state. People fromMA and otherstates are great and they certainly provide an excellent boost to our economy, however when they start bringing their draconian gun laws here I tend to get a little heated to say the least.

I would suggest during your next trip hit up Lilly Bay state park on Moosehead Lake. I have so many fond memories of camping there, fishing and enjoying all the wildlife God put there.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

worrbaron wrote:
So I was open carrying in my local Wal-Mart, it is not against their policy and I talked to two store managers about some electronics and they did not mention my firearm. Fast forward to the next day and a police officer came to my house and asked me about carrying there. He presented me with security photos and he asked if that was me and I told him it was and Iasked if there was an issue. He smiled and said no and appeared to be relieved that it was me. He said some people from MA had complained that I was carrying openly, he then said that I was perfectly legal to carry like that and to just be careful because there are crazy people out there who do not understand the law. Has anyone here ever had a similar issue with open carry?

Are you that well known that the Police know you from security photos or did Wal-Mart somehow provide your name and address? If OC is "perfectly legal" why was he involved? How and why did he get pictures from Wal-Mart's in-house security system to investigate a non-crime?

LoveMyCountry

IanB

imported post

I would imagine he used a credit card for his purchase. That would provide a name and credit card number which could be looked up either in the phone book, DMV records, or credit card company might offer the address to a LEO w/o a warrant.

The police may have wanted to verify his identity because he looked like someone similar who was a known "troublemaker" to the PD. Or perhaps a mental patient looks similar to him. Who knows? In the end, the PD conducted a consensual interview with worrbaron; he could have told the PD to leave at anytime or refused to answer the questions. I see no problem with the police conduct in this case.

Store security cameras vary wildly in the clarity of the picture; I've seen horrible gas station footage on one extreme all the way up to high end PTZ cameras like what you see at Best Buy. I would imagine Wal-mart uses high end cameras like BB.

psmartin

imported post

The complicated methods:
1) Giving the police your license plate(if they watched you in the store, they watched you in the parking lot)
2) In-Store database with name/address linked to a credit card purchase (fishing/hunting license or in-store pharmacy database)

The simple methods:
1) Young girl fills out a job application and steals makeup on the way out (and she was SO shocked to see her photo handed to her by Henrico police)

LoveMyCountry wrote:
worrbaron wrote:

Are you that well known that the Police know you from security photos or did Wal-Mart somehow provide your name and address? If OC is "perfectly legal" why was he involved? How and why did he get pictures from Wal-Mart's in-house security system to investigate a non-crime?

LoveMyCountry

worrbaron

imported post

They were good pictures of me, as I'm sure walmart invests quite a bit in security. I paid with cash, but I do know some of the employees there from town organizations so I'm sure they answered any questions the police or managers had. The interaction I had with the police officer was pleasant and he maintained that I did not break any laws and he was just doing a routine check. I am not mad at him, think of how he would have felt if he did not check it out and I turned out to be some psycho. I am angry at the people from MA who he characterized as not knowing the law. I hope that he told them what I did was legal, and I will continue to carry there as long as the management does not have a problem with it.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

It still comes down to why was a Police Officer investigating something that is LEGAL? You may have been a psycho? Doesn't matter unless you were doing something against the law. He told the uninformed out of staters that what you were doing is totally legal and then gets pictures from Wal-Mart, interviews the employees and tracks you down to tell you about it?

:question::question::question:

LoveMyCountry

worrbaron

imported post

That is a valid point, I think I will call the station and try to speak with that officer.

ProguninTN

imported post

worrbarron, I'm glad it turned out well. I have been to ME many times and know that the people from MA bring their anti agendas to ME & NH.

ProguninTN

personaltrainer1987

imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
worrbarron, I'm glad it turned out well. I have been to ME many times and know that the people from MA bring their anti agendas to ME & NH.

ProguninTN

I'll Say!!! I can't stand the MassHOLES!!! They push their agendas' in CT as well!! (Remember, CT is still the freest of the Northeast Peoples Republic states.) I can't even begin to tell you how many problems I've had not only with Mass subjects in CT but also in NH and VT. They make me guinely sick! Here's just an example of how bad they are:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mu4Dr3B3Rg4

massltca

imported post

worrbaron wrote:
Maine is a great state, but I amgetting tired of this outside interference ruining our state. People fromMA and otherstates are great and they certainly provide an excellent boost to our economy, however when they start bringing their draconian gun laws here I tend to get a little heated to say the least.

I would suggest during your next trip hit up Lilly Bay state park on Moosehead Lake. I have so many fond memories of camping there, fishing and enjoying all the wildlife God put there.
I don't blame you in the least, however not all of us are that way. I'm from Mass and I don't share any of the anti-freedom attitudes common to this state. I can't wait to get out of here and move to a free state actually.

Individualist

imported post

It's not just the tourists anymore though. It's the power hungry collectivist that has invaded my birth place, mainly coming from southern New England. But it's goes much deeper than that, it's the state and local government that has turned Maine into a police state. Her culture, economyand people have been flogged intosubmission. I miss Maine, the real Maine of my youth...... good people and a quiet life. I escaped in 96, and came to Wyoming. All I can say to the Real Mainers left there,

DEFEND THE REPUBLIC.:cuss:

PS:There is NO spoon!

massltca

imported post

Individualist wrote:
It's not just the tourists anymore though. It's the power hungry collectivist that has invaded my birth place, mainly coming from southern New England. But it's goes much deeper than that, it's the state and local government that has turned Maine into a police state. Her culture, economyand people have been flogged intosubmission. I miss Maine, the real Maine of my youth...... good people and a quiet life. I escaped in 96, and came to Wyoming. All I can say to the Real Mainers left there,

DEFEND THE REPUBLIC.:cuss:

PS:There is NO spoon!
This kind of thing is happening in every state, none of us are immune from the anti-freedom forces at work in this country.

pricedo

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I don't understand what happened here. If you were known to be completely within your rights to carry there, why did the LEO come to your house and make any issue at all? Shouldn't someone have just told the PRMA subjects that they were back in the United States (Maine) where such behavior has always been legal?

One of our group here had a similar situation about a year ago: He was gassing up at a nearby station when some Canadian tourist freaked out and called 911. The LEO spoke with the Virginian, explaining why he had been called, then went over and explained to the Canadian that no law was being broken. The incredulous Canadian left in a stae of angry perplexity, and the LEO came over to the Virginian, shaking his head saying "Canadians!!"

By the way, I still have fond memories of summer vacations at Grand Lake Stream and Big Lake. Beautiful state and great people! ( Don't get me started about my days in PRMA!)
I am a :celebrateCanadian:celebrate and hold CCW permits from Maine, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Utah and we're not all like that.