• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to explain an anti

Tomahawk

LeagueOf1291

imported post

I have often wondered what would have happened if a guardsman in New Orleans had refused to confiscate those guns. What would have happened if a high-ranking officer had decided to comply with his oath to uphold the constitution of the US?

What would have happened if the confiscation order had been issued in Tennessee?

tarzan1888

imported post

Well that certainly is one way.

I personally think that when approached by one that is shocked to see your gun it is best if you read the person and then adjust your reply to the perceived receptiveness of that person.

By this I mean that not all people who are afraid of guns are rabid anti-gun. I would bet that most are just un-accustomed to seeing people who are armed.

I would give you two examples from my own life.

1. Last year at my family reunion I was carrying my SA 1911 A1 on my right hip. As I sat in a group of adults one of my grandnephews came up to me and point to my gun said, "Guns kill people." He was about 15 and his father had been killed in an accident about 14 years ago. He had not been raised around guns and only knew what he was told.

I got up from the table where I was sitting and asked him to come with me. We went a little way off and sat on the grass. A couple of his cousin tagged along with us.

As we sat there I removed my gun from its holster and un-loaded it. I then showed him the various parts and explained its functions. Then I told him that the reason that I carried it was because there were bad people in this world that some times hurt people. and I carried the gun so that I could protect the ones that I loved from those bad people. I explained that a gun was a tool just like a car. I asked if it would be safe to take their family car and drive it down the street.

They all thought about it and said no it would be dangerous. I asked if they would feel different if they were old enough to drive a car and had been trained. They all felt that they could do it safely then. I explained how a gun is like a car that can be used for good or evil, and that many more people were killed by cars in the US than by guns, and they all knew that this was true.

In the right hands a car is a good thing, but in the wrong hands it can be a bad thing. The same is true with a gun. They all understood. I let each one handle my empty gun and then I re-loaded it and put it again in my holster. In this case this was the right way to handle the apparent anti statement of my Grandnephew that " Guns kill people."

2. This story happened a few months back. I had taken my wife, andmy daughter and her husband out for lunch. We sat down in the restaurant and I took of my coat and put it on the back of my chair. We had all finished and the waiter was standing by our table as we got up to leave.

He was at my left and as I stood and turned to get my coat, he saw my gun on my hip and gasped, "You have a gun!".

My immediate response was, "Sure, do you want to see it?" This took him totally of guard and he didn't know what to say for a moment, and then he said, "So do you have training?" and I replied that I did I had a permit. It was about then that my lovely wife chimed in with a big smile and a little humor in her voice, "Yea you don't have to worry when my husband is around, because he has got your back."

The waiter was greatly relieved, and I think a little more informed when we left and a potentially strained situation was changed in to a light and informative one.

Neither of these individuals were hard boiled anti gun people. I personally don't think they listen to reason, but as the first poster showed so will with his example, they do understand strength and resolve.

1 Timothy 4:8

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
I have often wondered what would have happened if a guardsman in New Orleans had refused to confiscate those guns. What would have happened if a high-ranking officer had decided to comply with his oath to uphold the constitution of the US?

What would have happened if the confiscation order had been issued in Tennessee?

Guns? What guns?My one rifle and one pistol have never been registered or have my name associated with them. One advantage of buying used in Virginia.

Um, I sold them years ago...yeah, that's the ticket!

LeagueOf1291

imported post

BobCav wrote:
LeagueOf1291 wrote:

Guns? What guns?My one rifle and one pistol have never been registered or have my name associated with them. One advantage of buying used in Virginia.

Yeah. How are they going to make me tell them where they are?

Tomahawk

imported post

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
BobCav wrote:
LeagueOf1291 wrote:

Yeah. How are they going to make me tell them where they are?

If it's likeNew Orleans, they will just make you come out onto your lawn while they ransack your house looking for them. They might shoot your dog in the process. Then they will leave and your story will only be heard on pro-gun websites and stuff, so they won't have to worry about any major public outrage. So they might not get your guns if you've hidden them, but they'll still get you by the nads.

In my case, they'll just get my guns, because I do not bury them offsite or any of that nonsense.

1st freedom

imported post

Your right about the lack of media coverage Tomahawk,

Have you seen the " never again " video put out by the NRA ?

That was put out while having Govenors from a handfull of States signing bills

stateing that they would " never " allow citizens to be disarmed in a state of emergency. :lol: