• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry and or concealed carry within 1000 feet of a school

IanB

imported post

Need some help here. I am confused about the US code which regulates firearms within 1000 feet of school zones. The code is Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 44 §922 (2)(A).

I take a walk around my neighborhood every day. Sometimes I OC, sometimes I CC. There are two schools within 1000 feet of my route. See pic below for a better idea. My walking route is yellow, and the two schools are outlined in red and green.

route.jpg

Here is a Link to the US code I am concerned about: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

An exemption to the code in question is copied below. It states

"(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do
so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or
political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains
such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or
political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified
under law to receive the license;"

By my reasoning, my Virginia CHP is a firearms license and I should be exempt from this code. Also by my reasoning, if you walk my route and open carry but do not have a CHP you would be in violation of the US code and find yourself in jail! I know Virginia has a code which states CHP holders may have a firearm in the parking lot of school property as long as the firearm remains concealed and they don't leave the vehicle. I am not in a vehicle, and within 1000 feet of two schools. This is why I am concerned.

My question (if anyone can answer it) is this:
Am I breaking the law if I walk that route while open carrying?
Am I breaking the law if I walk that route while concealed?

Sorry if I didn't explain this question fully, if something is unclear let me know.

The whole US code section is below.

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to
possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects
interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual
knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a
firearm -
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do
so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or
political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains
such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or
political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified
under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is -
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is
on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school
in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into
between a school in the school zone and the individual or an
employer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official
capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while
traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to
public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school
premises is authorized by school authorities.

Brigdh

imported post

the US version of that law got struck down in Lopez, you need to check the local (ie state) version

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Its funny you should bring this up-

This is something that I have been looking into in California with PC 626.9 and PC626.95 -(The States 1000 ft from school rule)

There are exemptions for those who are licensed to carry- but what is unclear is whether a license to carry concealed is a blanket exemption, even when the firearm is carried 'loaded and exposed'.

Cato and I have been awaiting word from a firearms attorney, but Im not certain where we are with that. If anyone else can shed some light on this topic, Id be grateful.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/445-3.html

bohdi

imported post

Easy... I'm a newbie to the forum, live in Centreville less than 2 miles from Sully PD Station, and am working through my own decisions of to OC or not. There are plenty of schools near me that this could be....

I come here seeking knowledge from others experiences to help make my decision.I'm waiting for my CHP fromFairfax County now, and don't own a holster yet (opinions on a good one for a glock model 22 .40?) - therefore haven't even carried ineither capacity yet. OC or CC with someone else who's done it before would likely ease me into doing it alone, and probably wouldn't be a bad idea in my humble option. Therefore to me the logical solution is to find out if others closer to my house are actually doing so - hence my question.

While I understand a reasonable amount of caution might be required due to your lack of knowledge about who I am (potentially thinking about your own security since the route is identified) and what my intent is for asking this (Am I a rabid anti?? I grant the potential exists without knowing more about me that's pretty quick to judge, I'm no troll, lol) - jumping to conclusions without knowing more about why I ask ("AMBUSH!!" - little harsh dont you think???) could be counter productive to the goals of this forum, don't you think?

tattedupboy

imported post

Brigdh wrote:
the US version of that law got struck down in Lopez, you need to check the local (ie state) version

Actually, this is only partially correct. After SCOTUS stuck down the original gun free school zones act Congress passed another version (which, by the way, has yet to be challenged in court) that specifically exempted permit holders. Under that law, you would be okay whether CCing or OCing because you have a permit. Only if you carry concealed or openly WITHOUT a permit willyou be running afoul of this law.

BTW, this brings up an interesting point. Based on what the law says, I'm wondering ifVermont residents, who do not need a permit to carry either openly or concealed, must have a nonresident permit from another state in order to be protected. Furthermore, I'm wondering just how vigorously, if at all,this federal law is enforced by state and local authorities.

IanB

imported post

bohdi wrote:
What schools are those, Where's CTU?
I'm not sure of the school names. I just know where they are.

Where is CTU? That's need to know info, and you're not read into the program. :lol:

IanB

imported post

After SCOTUS stuck down the original gun free school zones act Congress passed another version (which, by the way, has yet to be challenged in court) that specifically exempted permit holders.

Do you have a link to this information?

IanB

imported post

Bohdi,

If you're willing to drive to Annandale, I'll take you out OC'ing with me.

Bob's comment was meant to be a joke, please don't think of his comment in any other way. I have no fear of an "ambush", most people can't hit the broad side of a barn with a handgun anyways.

I recommend the Blackhawk Serpa holster for your Glock.

Brigdh

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
After SCOTUS stuck down the original gun free school zones act Congress passed another version (which, by the way, has yet to be challenged in court) that specifically exempted permit holders.

Do you have a link to this information?
intresting i thought the federal gov bribed the state govs with highway money to get them to enact a local version instead of passing it again

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bohdi wrote:
Easy... I'm a newbie to the forum, live in Centreville less than 2 miles from Sully PD Station, and am working through my own decisions of to OC or not. There are plenty of schools near me that this could be....

I come here seeking knowledge from others experiences to help make my decision.I'm waiting for my CHP fromFairfax County now, and don't own a holster yet (opinions on a good one for a glock model 22 .40?) - therefore haven't even carried ineither capacity yet. OC or CC with someone else who's done it before would likely ease me into doing it alone, and probably wouldn't be a bad idea in my humble option. Therefore to me the logical solution is to find out if others closer to my house are actually doing so - hence my question.

While I understand a reasonable amount of caution might be required due to your lack of knowledge about who I am (potentially thinking about your own security since the route is identified) and what my intent is for asking this (Am I a rabid anti?? I grant the potential exists without knowing more about me that's pretty quick to judge, I'm no troll, lol) - jumping to conclusions without knowing more about why I ask ("AMBUSH!!" - little harsh dont you think???) could be counter productive to the goals of this forum, don't you think?

bodhi, that wasonly said tongue in cheek nothing more. It was more of a statement to the fact that he posted his route on the WWW for the whole world to see, butour operative from the Counter Terrorist Unit isn't worried, rightnaked?

IanB

imported post

he posted his route on the WWW for the whole world to see
If someone is stupid enough to try and jack me out in public, well...

I'll do the responsible thing! Just call 911 and the police will protect me! :lol:

bohdi

imported post

Naked - Yeah, I'm not read into that program, the placement of CTU next to Northern VA led me to believe it was a place, not a unit name or descriptor. Chances are I probably would have guessed correctly if it hadn't been for that. Thanks for the info on the holster, I haven't actually looked at any yet. Taking things slowly, and thanks for the OC invite. I might have to take you up on that, but need to get holster first :D

Bob - thing about forums and email, difficult to discern emotion without emphasis. It's why I didn't jump to conclusions and usemore inflamitory vocabulary in my response toward you :D. You've always appeared pretty level headed (from what I've read so far) so I didn't want to jump to conclusions and just start spewing forth without being justified myself.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bohdi wrote:
Naked - Yeah, I'm not read into that program, the placement of CTU next to Northern VA led me to believe it was a place, not a unit name or descriptor. Chances are I probably would have guessed correctly if it hadn't been for that. Thanks for the info on the holster, I haven't actually looked at any yet. Taking things slowly, and thanks for the OC invite. I might have to take you up on that, but need to get holster first :D

Bob - thing about forums and email, difficult to discern emotion without emphasis. It's why I didn't jump to conclusions and usemore inflamitory vocabulary in my response toward you :D. You've always appeared pretty level headed (from what I've read so far) so I didn't want to jump to conclusions and just start spewing forth without being justified myself.
No problem and I agree, having been on many forums before. Nekkid and I know one another and while it's easier to "read" a person's posts once you know them, it can be misleading to someone else.

IanB

imported post

bohdi, you'll find that most cops ignore OC in NOVA.

It's either old news to them, or the chief has told them to leave OC'ers alone. I've even heard that some supervisors have instructed that if they (PD) see someone OC'ing, the OC'er probably know more about the carry laws then the beat cop, and therefore they wouldn't be doing it in the first place if they could be charged. Instigating a consensual stop would be a waste of time and most likely would lead to a bad situation with the OC'er contacting internal affairs to file a complaint.