• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry and or concealed carry within 1000 feet of a school

IanB

imported post

Shhh!

Don't tell anyone, but I have Jack Bauer's gun from season one and two! (His was a P228 not a P226)

DSC01917.jpg

hirundo82

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
BTW, this brings up an interesting point. Based on what the law says, I'm wondering ifVermont residents, who do not need a permit to carry either openly or concealed, must have a nonresident permit from another state in order to be protected. Furthermore, I'm wondering just how vigorously, if at all,this federal law is enforced by state and local authorities.

Actually, in the opinion of the BATF, residents of Vermont are pretty much hosed. The BATF has issued an opinion (I can only find it on PDO, and of course the site is down right now) that the exception to permit holders only applies if they hold that state's permit; permits from one state that are honored in another state mean nothing in regards to the Gun Free School Zones ACT as far as the Feds are concerned.

This should be the letter if PDO decides to work again.

That the act relies on the interstate commerce clause for its power is another issue entirely, and is one I don't think my blood pressure can stand this evening.

IanB

imported post

That's about 2 blocks from my house. There have also been several armed muggings in the area. I don't ever see stuff like that because I'm 6'2"/240lbs and carry a gun. :lol: