• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taurus PT 140 Millennium

gsusnake

imported post

I recently bought my first handgun, the Taurus PT 140 in .40 S&W. I've been shooting for 11 years (I'm 23) but this is the first one I've actually owned (rather than borrowed from Dad at the range).

I like the way it shoots, very clean, low recoil (kicks back into your arms rather than up), easy as hell to aim... I've put 500 FMJ rounds through it at this point (one of those range sessions was a 493 out of 500 points at 25 yds :cool:).

My question is... I'm working on a firearms license (can take 6 months in GA). Although GA has some liberal deadly force laws, I want to know if carrying .40 Hydra-Shoks counts as excessive force?

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

My first gun was a PT140. Still have it and enjoy it.

I don't know the laws of your state, but I am confused about something. How can you have excesive force when it comes to deadly force? Does it extra kill them? Does it kill them, revive them and kill them again? :lol:

I recommend that people carry what will feed reliably. For me that's Jacketed Hollow Points. By the way, get a spare magazine (or 10) right away. The only ones that fit right come from Taurus and they are not cheap.

LoveMyCountry

gsusnake

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
My first gun was a PT140. Still have it and enjoy it.

I don't know the laws of your state, but I am confused about something. How can you have excesive force when it comes to deadly force? Does it extra kill them? Does it kill them, revive them and kill them again? :lol:

I recommend that people carry what will feed reliably. For me that's Jacketed Hollow Points. By the way, get a spare magazine (or 10) right away. The only ones that fit right come from Taurus and they are not cheap.

LoveMyCountry
I read something about a case in Florida recently where a man was indicted in a clear self-defense case for use of excessive force because he used JHP ammo.

I believe he was exonerated on the self-defense charges but ended up convicted of something else because of his use of JHPs.

Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong (because I'm not as up on all this stuff as you all are) but I'm just a little leery of that. I've spoken to the local police, with whom I work on a daily basis in my profession, and they carry either 9mm JHP or .45 JHP, and recommended that I carry nothing bigger than .45.