Thread: police in MI took my Glock!

Post imported post

I had only been in MI for a few weeks when I was pulled over by some local LEO in Caro MI (rural). I was working in Flint until late in the evening, so you know I was carrying. On my way to my parents house, a cruiser pulled me over for speeding. I told him I had a gun in the car and he asked if I had a CCW. I just so happened to still have a valid CCW from PA (I went to school there, ergo, I carried there). He told me to get out of the car because I was in posetion of an illegal firearm. I told him I was under the impression that my license had reciprocity in MI (this was 4 years ago). He didn't know if this was the case, so he let me go sans firearm. A few months down the road I got a letter in the mail saying that, "in lue of prosecution, your firearm will be sent to Lansing to be destroyed."

I recently found my place here in OCDO, but had I known then what I know now, I would have fought this one. Is there any form of restitution I can seek? They took the first handgun I ever owned, and I worked hard at saving up for it. It was a 17, and a little bulky, but it was mine!

State Researcher

Post imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
    I had only been in MI for a few weeks when I was pulled over by some local LEO in Caro MI (rural). I was working in Flint until late in the evening, so you know I was carrying. On my way to my parents house, a cruiser pulled me over for speeding. I told him I had a gun in the car and he asked if I had a CCW. I just so happened to still have a valid CCW from PA (I went to school there, ergo, I carried there). He told me to get out of the car because I was in posetion of an illegal firearm. I told him I was under the impression that my license had reciprocity in MI (this was 4 years ago). He didn't know if this was the case, so he let me go sans firearm. A few months down the road I got a letter in the mail saying that, "in lue of prosecution, your firearm will be sent to Lansing to be destroyed."

I recently found my place here in OCDO, but had I known then what I know now, I would have fought this one. Is there any form of restitution I can seek? They took the first handgun I ever owned, and I work hard at saving up for it. It was a 17, and a little bulky, but it was mine!
    Translation: Since you didn't actually break any laws we can't put you in jail. However, we can't let you start thinking that you have rights or you'llget alluppity and want to have them all the time. Therefore we will take away your property without due process and destroy (sell) it to be sure that you learn your place.

LoveMyCountry

Post imported post

Excellent Translation...........

Post imported post

So... is there any recourse? Has it been too long since the incident? Am I just going to be a victim of ignorance? Mike? Anyone??? Hello??????

Post imported post

Were you a PA resident at the time of this incident?

Michigan only honors permits of residents of the issuing state.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

.40 cal, when did this take place? Perhaps an inquiry requesting PROOF of the disposition of the gun would be a starter.

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    .40 cal, when did this take place? Perhaps an inquiry requesting PROOF of the disposition of the gun would be a starter.
    i believe this occurred in 2003, possibly April.

Post imported post

lockman wrote:
    Were you a PA resident at the time of this incident?

Michigan only honors permits of residents of the issuing state.
    I had just transferred my driver's license. But I had not been in the state more than a few weeks. Is there no grace period? I ended up getting a permit in MI later on.

Post imported post

Sounds like you need a lawyer. Why didn't you check to see if you were legal after the confiscation? Either way they destroyed your property without cause. Call a lawyer.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson