• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does Anyone Carry Black Powder Handguns?

rajiii2002

imported post

I was wondering if anyone has ever carried a Black Powder handgun. I know they are "out of date and not very reliable", but I really enjoy shooting my 44 Colt Cap & Ball. I have even carried it a couple of times myself with 5 rounds loaded and the hammer resting on the empty 6th. I have found it to be very reliable with a lot of practice loading and shooting it. I have often though,"Would I trust my life with this gun?" but then again, almost every handgunI have has jammed on me at one time or another. I would like to know what everyone else thinks. Thanks for your input.

Smokewagon

imported post

Man, I wouldn't do it. Even the old gunfighters etc. carried the best technology of their day. I have a cap and ball revolver, love to shoot it. Just for fun and nostalgia.

But for carry, its semi auto for me.:)

Legba

imported post

I saw an ad in the SOG catalog for a replica of a Richardson "boot gun," which is a .32-cal black powder piece, as I recall. Might be a good choice if you're planning a stagecoach robbery and are a stickler for authenticity, but I think I'll stick to my 20th century stuff.

-ljp

vermonter

imported post

In Vermont most of us carry flintlocks... Doesn't everybody?

denwego

imported post

I've carried a couple black powder revolvers before (namely a Colt 1860 Army and a 1851 Navy), but I haven't done so since I've moved to Colorado. The Army and Navy revolvers came into play thanks to a quirk of Texas law about open carry:

235.B(3) "Firearm" means any device designed,
made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a
barrel by using the energy generated by an
explosion or burning substance or any device
readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not
include a firearm that may have, as an integral
part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics
of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that
is:
(A) an antique or curio firearm manufactured
before 1899; or
(B) a replica of an antique or curio firearm
manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica
does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.

(5) "Handgun" means any firearm that is designed,
made, or adapted to be fired with one
hand.

10.46.02. Unlawful Carrying Weapons.
(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally,
knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about
his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.

Within the strict definition of the law, openly carrying a percussion cap pistol isn't illegal, nor requires any license. Now, it wasn't like I just wandered around town with a 1851 Navy on my hip (it was at a friend's barbecue on a hot summer day), but it's something to think about!