• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DC Appeals Gun Ban Ruling

Toymaker

imported post

http://video.nbc4.com/player/?id=89448

http://washingtontimes.com/metro/20070406-103240-7202r.htm

WASHINGTON | District of Columbia officials warned a federal appeals court Monday that its rejection of the city’s handgun ban creates a precedent that could severely limit gun control.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled 2-1 last month that some of the district’s gun-control provisions are unconstitutional.

It was the first time a federal appeals court struck down gun-control regulations on Second Amendment grounds.

Lawyers for the district argued in a motion Monday that the decision contradicts prior rulings.

If the ruling stands, “it will severely limit the authority of both the District government and Congress to legislate in ways that they believe will best protect citizens and law-enforcement officers from gun violence,” the city’s lawyers wrote.

The city is seeking a new hearing before all 11 judges of the appeals court.

Opponents of the ban say it prevents people from taking measures to protect themselves and their families.

possumboy

imported post

My favorite quote is "this is an important issue, literally oflife and death".

There is just so many thoughts on that because it is a true statement.

Allowing the citizens to defend their homes is life for them and death for the criminals.

Allow the citizens to carry - which will not happen - would cut down on the street crime and reduce a lot of deaths to criminal on criminal crime.

Working in DC, you learn to assume that anyone giving you problems, probably has a gun anyway, even with the gun violence.

I would like to see the stats they are quoting. It seems like the states that have less gun control, more guns, and allow the citizens to carry, have less crime. I must be readin the wrong stats according to them.

1st freedom

imported post

I saw Mayor Fenty last night on the news, His statement went somthing like this,,,

" If someone owns a handgun and sells it to someone else and they inturn sell it and then it gets sold again after three or four times it could be used in a crime ". In other words, A crime my be commited in the future, therefor we dont have to reconize your constitutional rights ! What the hell is that !!!