• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HR 1022 Spawns Demand

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You might want to look at DPMS panther arms. I ordered one called the sweet sixteen, it has a 16inch stianless steel bull barrel and a flattop reciever. It sells for about $900.The shop owner has one and claims it's about as accurrate as his 24inch barreled rifle and you don't need the chrome lining.

VAopencarry

imported post

You don't 'need' a chrome barrel but they are nicer. Better corrosion protection, easier to clean, increased velocity,(though it may be a negligible amount). A chromed barrel and chamber AR can be had for 1k give or take 50 bucks.

Base models come with a fixed rear sight, so you might want to consider if you want iron sites only or iron sights that the rear sight can be removed and a scope mounted. Folding/telescoping stock or standard. Stay away from AR15 dot com. You will see so much stuff it will make your head spin and your decision on 'options' that much harder.seriously.

If you want more ass then a 5.56/.223 check out the AR-10's, only a little more expensive, or a SOCOM/M1A varient.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
I'm not feeling rushed, but I am looking to purchase an AR-15. From what I understand about them, I'd like one with chrome barrel and chamber. Anything else I should consider?
Hi, 1291. You may want to head over to the Thread in the Virginia Section on AR's. We have some Pics and stuff and it may be a start. You will likely be looking at $900 - $1000. Build your own, which is what I WAS going to do (a bit cheaper), or buy "off-the-shelf". VAopencarry had some good points. However, surf some of the AR sites and hit that thread above - the last page has some links. Now, theARFCOM forum does have a lot of good info, but like VAopencarry said, it'll give you a headache and create havoc with what you want. Take a look at the tons of photos and see what features you like, etc. OK, Ill stop :lol:! Get to surfing. ENJOY, Sir!

LeagueOf1291

imported post

Thanks for the great pointers. My head swims with the possibilities. I think after VA Tech, I'd better go ahead with a decision.

I foresee a backlash, and add Hillary as prez and I'm concerned about availability.

Again, thanks for the info -- lots to research.