• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Can't I get a permit

chesire17201

imported post

Hello all, newb here, found the site and have a question, now i;ll be honest through out so please, take it easy, let me just say i learned from my mistakes......

O.k. I would like a CCW permit, but am on probation(theft, recv. stolen property, harassment bycommunication <-----fighting with ex about custody) all misdemeanors,and it was denied, due to convitction COULD have resulted in more than 1 yr. in jail, now from what i have read about all this i should be ABLE to get my permit, see here http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6109.html as well as http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6105.html

according to what i see i would have to been convicted of a FELONY, not the misdemeanors. am i missing something? anyone have any insight on this? thanks

rady8um

imported post

chesire17201 wrote:
Hello all, newb here, found the site and have a question, now i;ll be honest through out so please, take it easy, let me just say i learned from my mistakes......

O.k. I would like a CCW permit, but am on probation(theft, recv. stolen property, harassment bycommunication <-----fighting with ex about custody) all misdemeanors,and it was denied, due to convitction COULD have resulted in more than 1 yr. in jail, now from what i have read about all this i should be ABLE to get my permit, see here http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6109.html as well as http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6105.html

according to what i see i would have to been convicted of a FELONY, not the misdemeanors. am i missing something? anyone have any insight on this? thanks

Disclaimer: IANAL (I am not a laywer, for the newbie);)

Hello and welcome,

I think there are two reasons:

1. Nobody on probation is going to get a LTC.

2. As you stated, you were convicted of crimes that each have a maximum sentence of more than a year imprisonment. Probation is orderedin lieu of of jail time. That does not alter the potential maximum sentence though. Two seperate crimes, eachwith a maximum sentenceof 8 months is much different than one crime with a maximum sentence of 16 months. You may want to talk to a lawyer about your options after you complete your probation, but I think your options are limited. Open carry may be your only choice after your probation. Which may be why you came to OCDO?

§ 6109(e)(1)(viii). does not mention misdemeanor or felony. Only the maximumsentence, and is very different than:

§ 6105. Which relates to: Persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms.

§ 6109. Licenses.
(e) Issuance of license.--

(1) A license to carry a firearm........ shall not be issued to any of the following:

(viii) An individual who is charged with or has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year except as provided for in section 6123 (relating to waiver of disability or pardons).

Basically, as I read it,

§ 6109(e)(1)(viii), means no permit.

§ 6105, for the reasons listed in the statute,means no guns, and then by default, no permit.

Just my 1/50 of a dollar.Not much help for you, but I hope it clears things up a little bit.

chesire17201

imported post

o.k, thanks, missed viii, which explains it, now a totally different question, yes i am interested in open carry, being on probation, my officer has the authority to allow me to posses firearms, seeing as nothing i am on for is violent i am allowed to have them, i am guessing it would be wise to check with the prob. off. as to me open carrying before i do, as far as permit, i will wait till prob is done (july 07) and then see my attorney to file for expungement, seems to be the best option, aside from a florida or virginia, which if i read the requirements correctly on them it allows if it has been over 5 years since conviction, which it has......if i am wrong feel free to tell me, again i am no expert by any means.......thanks

rady8um

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
chesire, I would wait until your probation is over before even doing this.

Agreed.

I'm not so sure your PO can allow you to have a firearm. He may not care if you do, but I think it is a condition of probation to not be in contact with firearms.

chesire17201

imported post

actually it is a standardcondition of state parole/prob, not county, for county prob. it has to be specifacally stated not to possess firearms( my prob is done7-07, so no rush) , regardless though, i cannot ever get a PA. permit, due to the PA stipulations described earlier ( max Penalty) without having my record expunged,

Hence i am looking at other sates non- resident permits, which i could get, VA is one but Pa does not honor it. so i search for others....looks like FL is o.k........so we'll see.....looks as VA is possible as well