• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In Ohio

ICE-MAN

imported post

I guess my question would be is it legal to open carry in ohio without a concealed carry permit my theroy is if the bad guys can see my weapon they wont pull theirs and if it is legal to just open carry do you have to get a permit everthing i read on the topic was directly from housebill 347 and as far as i got it was not clearly defined or stated however i have caried but not goin to anymore without knowing thanks in advance for the input

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ICE-MAN wrote:
I guess my question would be is it legal to open carry in ohio without a concealed carry permit my theroy is if the bad guys can see my weapon they wont pull theirs and if it is legal to just open carry do you have to get a permit everthing i read on the topic was directly from housebill 347 and as far as i got it was not clearly defined or stated however i have caried but not goin to anymore without knowing thanks in advance for the input
Yes - except in your vehicle where you still need a concealed handgun permit even to open carry. The Ohio page on OCDO is pending update to reflect new 100% preemption statute in OH.

ICE-MAN

imported post

Sorry BB62 didn't know you were a school teacher.I thought this was a forum where intelligent adults could discuss questions without being criticized,Sorry if you are offended by the style of typing i do and when it matters i do use punctuation and Capitalization.And i'd like to thank you for bringing to my attention that even in a format like this there are school teachers who will critique your writing style and the verbage that 1 uses have a great day and thanks again

tattedupboy

imported post

ICE-MAN wrote:
Sorry BB62 didn't know you were a school teacher.I thought this was a forum where intelligent adults could discuss questions without being criticized,Sorry if you are offended by the style of typing i do and when it matters i do use punctuation and Capitalization.And i'd like to thank you for bringing to my attention that even in a format like this there are school teachers who will critique your writing style and the verbage that 1 uses have a great day and thanks again

I know exactly where BB62 is coming from. When you don't use proper punctuation and grammar, it makes your writing difficult to follow and even more difficult to read. Without being condescending, just try to proofread everything youwrite before you post it.

Now, just to stay on topic, in Ohio it is legal to open carry without a permit if you are outside a vehicle. The only people who are allowed to carry, whether openly or concealed, within their vehicles,are permit holders.