Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMP rifles - Anyone ever ordered?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Well, Saturday I placed my order with the CMP for 3 rifles:

1 M1903 Springfield Armory
    1 M1903/A3 Remington
    1 M1 Garand, Springfield Armory (Greek racker)
    1 case (760 rds) Greek HXP Pyrkal .30-06 ammo

I just got my 21-day e-mail yesterday so now the wait begins!!!

I can't wait to adopt these old war veterans. I figure I can't truly own them, they belong to history...

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Come the 31st you can order 1 Inland M1 Carbine

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Yep, I'm gonna get me one of those too! Now, if they would just releaseM14's for sale....

Next will be a DEMIL 1928 Thompson with a semi-auto receiver, but I want to get the original DEMIL full auto receiver just to keep with the gun.

Then a Mosin Nagant M44,

Then an AK-47,

Then....

then....

lol

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Well, Saturday I placed my order with the CMP for 3 rifles:

1 M1903 Springfield Armory
    1 M1903/A3 Remington
    1 M1 Garand, Springfield Armory (Greek racker)
    1 case (760 rds) Greek HXP Pyrkal .30-06 ammo
    What timing!

Just today, I dropped into the mail an order for 1 M1 Garand, Springfield Armory (Greek racker).

Would like to do more, but that's all the budget can take right now.

Post imported post

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

It's still April 30th...

NOT ACCEPTING ORDERS AT THIS TIME !!!
    INLAND CARBINES WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR SALE 30 APRIL VIA MAIL ORDER AND IN BOTH CMP STORES (NORTH AND SOUTH) BEGINNING ON 3 MAY.

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    Yep, I'm gonna get me one of those too! Now, if they would just releaseM14's for sale....
    Good luck with that. Somewhere I heard that the reason CMP doesn't ahve M14's is because even if they are altered to be semiauto-only the BATFE consideres them to be machineguns if that's the way they were manufactured. (Note, I have no citation. I freely and willingly accept a penalty flag if warranted...)

I read somewhere that years ago CMP considered purchasing semiauto-only M14/M1As, but the only ones they could afford were Norincos, and CMP didn't trust the quality control at the time.

It certainly would be nice to see them, though.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

No penalty flag...I read the same thing on their site. Just wishful thinking...

Post imported post

I bought a greek service grade about 2 years ago from them (back when they still had service grades in stock). Nothing but fun out of that rifle

Again, I don't remember where I read it, so take it as you will, but I also remember hearing that the BATFE considered a machine gun a machine gun, even if it was converted to semi-auto. So no surplus M14's anytime soon methinks.

Incidentally, thats also why the CMP changed their sales policy to 8 a year, in order to sell as many as possible to build up an endowment fund. Sad to hear that they're planning on the eventuality of not having any more rifles to sell, after about a century of doing so.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

OK, I finally got it.CMP-itis....

I'm checking the e-Store dozens of times a day and last night I had a dream my rifles were actually delivered today! Too funny....

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I have a May '45 Springfield Armory M1 Garand from the CMP. It is my most prized possession.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    OK, I finally got it.**CMP-itis....

I'm checking the e-Store dozens of times a day and last night I had a dream my rifles were actually delivered today!* Too funny....

Bob, you need to get out more.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Thanks for for reminding me Hawyflyer! My ammo order is processed and I expect wil be here next Wed/Thurs.

Post imported post

I received a case of LC ammo on monday, and my Greek racker showed up on Tuesday (along with an H&R barrelled receiver). Haven't torn it down yet for a full inspection, but it looks decent. The wood is a little beat up, but no obvious repairs. The metal shows no signs of rust or pitting.

Bob, do you have a C&R? With the guns on your wishlist, you should if you don't!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

No C&R as of yet, but I'm looking into one. I even thought of an FFL, but that means the BATF get to do anal inspections and I'd rather pass on those...I could qualify in a second, just don't want the hassles. Isn't there a minimum age a gun has to be to qualify for purchase using a C&R?

Post imported post

Be sure and clean your guns obsessively when using the Greek 30-06 - it uses corrosive primers. I wouldn't want legendary rifles like those to suffer needlessly!

And as for the "qualifications" a gun needs to be a C&R, it either has to be:

-Certified by some formal institution (museum, university, etc.) as of particular historic interest
    -On the BATFE Curio/Relic list using whatever criteria they feel like
    -Any gun at least 50 years old by the current date (1 January1957 or earlier right now; I asked the BATFE when applying for mine if they go by actual date, but said that they do it by full year instead.)

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    No C&R as of yet, but I'm looking into one. I even thought of an FFL, but that means the BATF get to do anal inspections and I'd rather pass on those...I could qualify in a second, just don't want the hassles. Isn't there a minimum age a gun has to be to qualify for purchase using a C&R?
    Hey, Bob. Here's a link to the BATF site and C&R info. BATF publishes a list of C&Rs. Here's BATF's definition of the C&R...

To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:
    1.) Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;
    2.) Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
    3.) Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Thanks DoubleR.

Maybe I'll just go ahead and form my own LLC and get an FFL. I'd save enough on fees in the three years to pay for the $200 license even if I just used it for myself. That and I could be the Unofficial VCDL and OCDO (NOVA) FFL.

Hmmmm, now there's a thought!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

OOOWWW - I like that idea. HHHmmm... Kinda like checking books out at the library? NAW - Nevermind ;-)

Post imported post

The C&R is a Type 03 FFL. You can't use it for "engaging in the business" but it's handy in that eligible firearms can be shipped directly to you. I've also used mine purchasing directly in shops, they don't have to do a 4473 or NICS, they just log your info.

Even if you don't use it to acquire guns, many outfits give you discounts with it. One order from Brownells can pay for the cost of the license ( as will a single saved transfer fee in many cases.)

The C&R costs only $30 for three years. No prints required. I received mine in under 18 days mailbox to mailbox.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I'm going to apply for my C&R this week and still consider that FFL as I previously mentioned.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

OK, folks, my first CMP order has shipped! WOO HOO!! I have 3 CMP rifles coming tomorrow!

4/7 Mailed order for 1 Greek Rack, 1 1903 SA, and 1 1903/A3
    4/10 Order Received
    4/11 21 Day e-mail
    4/16 Changed to FG Dane 4/16 - Hold shipment until after vacation!
    4/25 Order shows in eStore and as open.
    4/26 CC hit!
    4/30 Case of Greek shipped, ETA 5/3, FedEX'ed order for Inland Carbine
    5/1 a) Carbine order received at CMP (FedEx delivery confirmation); b) Shipping confirmation with tracking for 2 1903's and Danish FG ETA 5/2!!!

Those three should keep me busy until my carbine arrives. You think?

I did some rough base calculations based on monthly production and workday assumptions. I may be off, but I'll bet not by much.

M1903 S/N 1345xxx - March 1930 (March 30, 1930?)
    1930 SA S/N's 1338046 - 1369761; annual total of 31355, assuming 5 day non-wartime production work week, that would be 111.98 avg mfg per workday and would put my M1903's birthday on or about March 1, 1930!

M1903/A3 S/N 3583xxx - May 1943 (May 3, 1943?)
    May 1943 REM S/N's 3573278 - 3710958; monthly total of 137,680 for May and assuming 24/7 wartime production equals 4441.29 avg mfg per day and would put my 03A3's birthday on or about May 3, 1943!

Danish FG S/N 1600xxx - May 1943 (May 20, 1943?)

May 1943 SA S/N's 1547453 - 1629565; monthly total of 82112 M1's for May and assuming a 24/7 wartime production schedule equals 2648.77 avg per day and would put my Dane FG's birthday on about May 20th, 1943!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Do you have a Cray computer in that "van down by the river"...? Congrats on the pending arrivals. I still have my C&R application sitting on the desk, here. There are some hefty discounts with some of the online vendors. A buddy told me a little over $200 off of an RRA complete rifle with a C&R. That's like 20%. Talk about paying for itself with your first purchase.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Thanks! I got my C&R app here also, being mailed tomorow!! No cray, just a little bit o' math and averaging. I hope someday I can find out definitively and see how close I was!

Post imported post

BobCav wrote:
    I hope someday I can find out definitively and see how close I was!
    I have people, I'll do some checking.......
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast