• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CMP rifles - Anyone ever ordered?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, Saturday I placed my order with the CMP for 3 rifles:

1 M1903 Springfield Armory
1 M1903/A3 Remington
1 M1 Garand, Springfield Armory (Greek racker)
1 case (760 rds) Greek HXP Pyrkal .30-06 ammo

I just got my 21-day e-mail yesterday so now the wait begins!!!

I can't wait to adopt these old war veterans. I figure I can't truly own them, they belong to history...

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yep, I'm gonna get me one of those too! Now, if they would just releaseM14's for sale....

Next will be a DEMIL 1928 Thompson with a semi-auto receiver, but I want to get the original DEMIL full auto receiver just to keep with the gun.

Then a Mosin Nagant M44,

Then an AK-47,

Then....

then....

lol

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Well, Saturday I placed my order with the CMP for 3 rifles:

1 M1903 Springfield Armory
1 M1903/A3 Remington
1 M1 Garand, Springfield Armory (Greek racker)
1 case (760 rds) Greek HXP Pyrkal .30-06 ammo

What timing!

Just today, I dropped into the mail an order for 1 M1 Garand, Springfield Armory (Greek racker).

Would like to do more, but that's all the budget can take right now.

Tomahawk

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Yep, I'm gonna get me one of those too! Now, if they would just releaseM14's for sale....
Good luck with that. Somewhere I heard that the reason CMP doesn't ahve M14's is because even if they are altered to be semiauto-only the BATFE consideres them to be machineguns if that's the way they were manufactured. (Note, I have no citation. I freely and willingly accept a penalty flag if warranted...)

I read somewhere that years ago CMP considered purchasing semiauto-only M14/M1As, but the only ones they could afford were Norincos, and CMP didn't trust the quality control at the time.

It certainly would be nice to see them, though.

ChronoSphere

imported post

I bought a greek service grade about 2 years ago from them (back when they still had service grades in stock). Nothing but fun out of that rifle :)

Again, I don't remember where I read it, so take it as you will, but I also remember hearing that the BATFE considered a machine gun a machine gun, even if it was converted to semi-auto. So no surplus M14's anytime soon methinks.

Incidentally, thats also why the CMP changed their sales policy to 8 a year, in order to sell as many as possible to build up an endowment fund. Sad to hear that they're planning on the eventuality of not having any more rifles to sell, after about a century of doing so.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OK, I finally got it.CMP-itis....

I'm checking the e-Store dozens of times a day and last night I had a dream my rifles were actually delivered today! Too funny....

zoom6zoom

imported post

I received a case of LC ammo on monday, and my Greek racker showed up on Tuesday (along with an H&R barrelled receiver). Haven't torn it down yet for a full inspection, but it looks decent. The wood is a little beat up, but no obvious repairs. The metal shows no signs of rust or pitting.

Bob, do you have a C&R? With the guns on your wishlist, you should if you don't!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

No C&R as of yet, but I'm looking into one. I even thought of an FFL, but that means the BATF get to do anal inspections and I'd rather pass on those...I could qualify in a second, just don't want the hassles. Isn't there a minimum age a gun has to be to qualify for purchase using a C&R?

denwego

imported post

Be sure and clean your guns obsessively when using the Greek 30-06 - it uses corrosive primers. I wouldn't want legendary rifles like those to suffer needlessly!

And as for the "qualifications" a gun needs to be a C&R, it either has to be:

-Certified by some formal institution (museum, university, etc.) as of particular historic interest
-On the BATFE Curio/Relic list using whatever criteria they feel like
-Any gun at least 50 years old by the current date (1 January1957 or earlier right now; I asked the BATFE when applying for mine if they go by actual date, but said that they do it by full year instead.)

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BobCav wrote:
No C&R as of yet, but I'm looking into one. I even thought of an FFL, but that means the BATF get to do anal inspections and I'd rather pass on those...I could qualify in a second, just don't want the hassles. Isn't there a minimum age a gun has to be to qualify for purchase using a C&R?

Hey, Bob. Here's a link to the BATF site and C&R info. BATF publishes a list of C&Rs. Here's BATF's definition of the C&R...

To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:
1.) Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;
2.) Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
3.) Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks DoubleR.

Maybe I'll just go ahead and form my own LLC and get an FFL. I'd save enough on fees in the three years to pay for the $200 license even if I just used it for myself. That and I could be the Unofficial VCDL and OCDO (NOVA) FFL.

Hmmmm, now there's a thought!

zoom6zoom

imported post

The C&R is a Type 03 FFL. You can't use it for "engaging in the business" but it's handy in that eligible firearms can be shipped directly to you. I've also used mine purchasing directly in shops, they don't have to do a 4473 or NICS, they just log your info.

Even if you don't use it to acquire guns, many outfits give you discounts with it. One order from Brownells can pay for the cost of the license ( as will a single saved transfer fee in many cases.)

The C&R costs only $30 for three years. No prints required. I received mine in under 18 days mailbox to mailbox.