• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CMP rifles - Anyone ever ordered?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OK, folks, my first CMP order has shipped! WOO HOO!! I have 3 CMP rifles coming tomorrow!

4/7 Mailed order for 1 Greek Rack, 1 1903 SA, and 1 1903/A3
4/10 Order Received
4/11 21 Day e-mail
4/16 Changed to FG Dane 4/16 - Hold shipment until after vacation!
4/25 Order shows in eStore and as open.
4/26 CC hit!
4/30 Case of Greek shipped, ETA 5/3, FedEX'ed order for Inland Carbine
5/1 a) Carbine order received at CMP (FedEx delivery confirmation); b) Shipping confirmation with tracking for 2 1903's and Danish FG ETA 5/2!!!

Those three should keep me busy until my carbine arrives. You think?

I did some rough base calculations based on monthly production and workday assumptions. I may be off, but I'll bet not by much.

M1903 S/N 1345xxx - March 1930 (March 30, 1930?)
1930 SA S/N's 1338046 - 1369761; annual total of 31355, assuming 5 day non-wartime production work week, that would be 111.98 avg mfg per workday and would put my M1903's birthday on or about March 1, 1930!

M1903/A3 S/N 3583xxx - May 1943 (May 3, 1943?)
May 1943 REM S/N's 3573278 - 3710958; monthly total of 137,680 for May and assuming 24/7 wartime production equals 4441.29 avg mfg per day and would put my 03A3's birthday on or about May 3, 1943!

Danish FG S/N 1600xxx - May 1943 (May 20, 1943?)

May 1943 SA S/N's 1547453 - 1629565; monthly total of 82112 M1's for May and assuming a 24/7 wartime production schedule equals 2648.77 avg per day and would put my Dane FG's birthday on about May 20th, 1943!

:D

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Do you have a Cray computer in that "van down by the river"...? Congrats on the pending arrivals. I still have my C&R application sitting on the desk, here. There are some hefty discounts with some of the online vendors. A buddy told me a little over $200 off of an RRA complete rifle with a C&R. That's like 20%. Talk about paying for itself with your first purchase.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks! I got my C&R app here also, being mailed tomorow!! No cray, just a little bit o' math and averaging. I hope someday I can find out definitively and see how close I was!

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LOL.... Thanks! Have your people call my people....

Hey if anyone's interested, on Sunday at the CMP Eastern Games at Camp Creedmoor near Raleigh, NC, you can go hand select and tag your own M1.30 caliber Inland carbineto be shipped later. I've already sent in the order, but I'm thinking about making a run down to hand pick my next addition in the WWII collection. Maybe, we'll see....

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, they came! Less than a month from order to receipt. Here's the thread over on the CMP forum http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30496

Here's a couple pics: (top to bottom, Springfield M1 Garand, Remington 03A3, Springfield M1903.

GroupR.jpg

M1 Garand

M1-LSide.jpg

Got a case of Greek .30-06 coming tomorrow and an M1 Inland Carbineorder in as well!

kle

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Well, they came!...Here's a couple pics...
Wow...I'm jealous! If ever there were guns to get me into rifles, the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine would've be the ones!

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
The C&R is a Type 03 FFL. You can't use it for "engaging in the business" but it's handy in that eligible firearms can be shipped directly to you. I've also used mine purchasing directly in shops, they don't have to do a 4473 or NICS, they just log your info.

Even if you don't use it to acquire guns, many outfits give you discounts with it. One order from Brownells can pay for the cost of the license ( as will a single saved transfer fee in many cases.)

The C&R costs only $30 for three years. No prints required. I received mine in under 18 days mailbox to mailbox.
It doesn't take long to get them, and it is pretty cool to get guns delivered to your front door.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Talk about inflation. I bought a carbine for $18.95 from the DCM in 1968. In those days you had to be on a rifle team to get them. I'll have to look up my M1 paperwork but I think it was about $45.00.

Still a good source though.

Regards

BOBCAV - Be sure that the low numbered '03 has a shootable receiver on it. Some of the early ones had bad receivers and unless upgraded they can blow up when fired with standard ammo. I do not have the serial number ranges handy but you can find the info on the net.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawk, it's not inflation, it's your AGE! lol....

Being a gentleman, I'll give you double what you paid for them!!

Thanks Double R!

The barrel on the 03 and A3 are good, I think the cutoff was 800,000. CMP has very deliberate and specific instructions on their site regarding not shooting low S/N barrels. I specifically didn't order one of those.

The stock on the M1 has a lot of "character" but the 03 and A3 are gorgeous! I was very lucky indeed.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Hawk, it's not inflation, it's your AGE!  lol.... 

Being a gentleman, I'll give you double what you paid for them!!
SNIP...

Well ... I prefer to think of it as "seasoning".:lol: As you might expect they have some sentimental value.

The good news is that based on the differance in our ages, you could always bid on them in the estate sale, and due to my lifestyle you may not have to wait too long.:what:

Regards

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Lol...I just detail stripped the M1 to thoroughly clean it,catalog all the part serial numbers and get to know the rifle. Tomorrow I'll reassemble and grease and do the same for the 1903's. Maybe this weekend I'll test fire them. Now to figure out where!

If you've never disassembled an M1 Garand, you're missing something. This design is sheer genius.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Lol...I just detail stripped the M1 to thoroughly clean it, catalog all the part serial numbers and get to know the rifle.  Tomorrow I'll reassemble and grease and do the same for the 1903's.  Maybe this weekend I'll test fire them.  Now to figure out where!

If you've never disassembled an M1 Garand, you're missing something.  This design is sheer genius.

Wait till you compare it to David M. "Carbine" Williams short throw action used in the Carbine. An awful lot of activity to be initiated by such a short piston movement. And to think it was designed by a prisoner.

Regards

67GT390FB

imported post

hlh wrote:
I picked up a nice M1 Carbine, from a friend, the other day. He doesn't know it's history, and neither do I. He gave me too good a price to pass up. It's a nice little rifle in great condition. It has "Plainfield Machine" stamped on the receiver.

IMGP0934.jpg

IMGP0931.jpg

lee,

thats a really nice looking carbine. congrats on the pickup. also your shop/garage in the background is making me jealous.

joe

67GT390FB

imported post

hlh wrote:
That's my reloading bench that needs some serious organization. I've gotta do something about it sooner than later.

and i was sitting here thinking how nice and neat and organized it looked in the pics.

i need to pic up a carbine one of these days as well.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

I got an M1 Garand throuth CMP in 1992. Mfg. by International Harvester. I wonder if it used to be a plowshare?

I just looked at the receipt it lists the total price of $94.30, but I remember paying about $175.00.