• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ALERT: East Palo Alto [CA] Police are paying people to give them information on gun owners!!!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

All,
While I was driving south on 101 I passed by the Ikea store which has a big electronic sign.
There was one ad that said:
"$1000 REWARD For info on people with guns”
The sign had a silhouette of an AR and the logo for a police dept. The sign advised people to report gun owners at the following number 650 321 1112
Ikea appears to own the sign but they use a company called Smart Sign Media to take care of the ads that run. (800-549-7300)
I called Smart Sign Media and was told by "Cheryl" that the ad was placed by the East Palo Alto Police. They were offering up to $1000.00 reward.
I called the 650-321-1112 number and was routed to a lady in police admin at 650-853-3160. I could not get the lady's name but she told me that the program was designed to get the public to report young men who were seen with guns in the street.
When I asked her what happened with these reports she said that these were only considered “incidents" until an officer checked them out.
When I asked her what she meant by checking them out, she said they would dispatch an officer to the address and see if the person had the “proper paperwork" for the weapon. If not, they would confiscate the gun and hold it pending further investigation. At this point a true report would be filed.
When I asked her to define "proper paperwork”, the process for getting a gun back, etc. she got very evasive and said I had to talk to a sergeant. I was then left on terminal hold. I called back twice with the same result.
I need the following:
A. Include a request to have as many people as possible call 650 853 3160 and ask to speak to the sergeant on duty. Get as much info as you can about the program and the details.
B. Get people to start calling Ikea in East Palo Alto and find out why they are allowing this to go on.
C. Get this information out to as many other 2A groups as possible.
Many thanks,
Mark Towber
President
Golden State 2[sup]nd[/sup] Amendment Council

moz-screenshot.jpg
http://www.gs2ac.com/images/S1-IKEA_Sign_1K_Gun_Reward.JPG

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Doesn't that sign mean that you can call them and tell them you want to buy a gun and they will give you the cash?:what:

S1-IKEA_Sign_1K_Gun_Reward.JPG

Your image wasn't showing for some reason so I reposted it.

LoveMyCountry

LeagueOf1291

imported post

Under McCain-Feingold, you're strictly regulated about what ads you can run within 90 days of an election. We could get a sign that places a bounty on political ads -- report political ads, and we'll have the FCC "check them out."

We could really have a field day with ads by anti-gun organizations.

vega480

imported post

This is going to cause alot of false reports and probably cost alot more than they think just responding to all these "incidents". If I lived there I would get one of those pre-paid phones and call in everytime something remotely looked like a gun.

cato

imported post

Don't bother dispatch please for some unknown reason the sign uses the 911 dispatch center direct number. Here is the Chief's office number (650-853-3125), call to your hearts content. He is the one who should hear about this not dispatch.

From their web site:

http://www.ci.east-palo-alto.ca.us/police/reporting.html

"non-emergency police department telephone number (650) 853-3160"

Also here is city hall:

East Palo Alto City Hall
2415 University Avenue, CA 94303
Tel: (650) 853-3100; Fax: (650) 853-3115

Your Humble Servant,

cato

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I read somewhare that Diane Feinstein has a pistol. Shouldn't someone report her?

"Officer, I'd like to report a dangerous liberal with a gun"

Kelly J

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
All,
While I was driving south on 101 I passed by the Ikea store which has a big electronic sign.
There was one ad that said:
"$1000 REWARD For info on people with guns”
The sign had a silhouette of an AR and the logo for a police dept. The sign advised people to report gun owners at the following number 650 321 1112
Ikea appears to own the sign but they use a company called Smart Sign Media to take care of the ads that run. (800-549-7300)
I called Smart Sign Media and was told by "Cheryl" that the ad was placed by the East Palo Alto Police. They were offering up to $1000.00 reward.
I called the 650-321-1112 number and was routed to a lady in police admin at 650-853-3160. I could not get the lady's name but she told me that the program was designed to get the public to report young men who were seen with guns in the street.
When I asked her what happened with these reports she said that these were only considered “incidents" until an officer checked them out.
When I asked her what she meant by checking them out, she said they would dispatch an officer to the address and see if the person had the “proper paperwork" for the weapon. If not, they would confiscate the gun and hold it pending further investigation. At this point a true report would be filed.
When I asked her to define "proper paperwork”, the process for getting a gun back, etc. she got very evasive and said I had to talk to a sergeant. I was then left on terminal hold. I called back twice with the same result.
I need the following:
A. Include a request to have as many people as possible call 650 853 3160 and ask to speak to the sergeant on duty. Get as much info as you can about the program and the details.
B. Get people to start calling Ikea in East Palo Alto and find out why they are allowing this to go on.
C. Get this information out to as many other 2A groups as possible.
Many thanks,
Mark Towber
President
Golden State 2[suP]nd[/suP] Amendment Council

moz-screenshot.jpg
http://www.gs2ac.com/images/S1-IKEA_Sign_1K_Gun_Reward.JPG
Leave it to the State of Calif. to create a problem, God I'm glad I moved my Family out of there back in the 70's, and yes I was very careful not to leave anything behind so I would not have to return to get it.

gregma

imported post

Here's the real skinny (From a 1/22/07 news article)...

http://east-palo-alto-news.newslib.com/story/6574-3237922/

REWARD OFFERED TO NAB EAST PALO ALTO ILLEGAL GUN CARRIERS 01/22/07 10:00 PST EAST PALO ALTO (BCN)
A day after two teenage boys were killed by a semi-automatic handgun, police in East Palo Alto are hitting the streets, hand delivering flyers to let community members know they can earn up to $1,000 for providing information that leads to the arrests of people who carry assault rifles.
Police will walk around so-called hot spots and areas where gang activity takes place to get out the message of the Silicon Valley Crime Stoppers: "make $1,000 with one phone call."
As part of the city's Project Safe Neighborhood, anyone who calls with information that leads to the arrest of a person illegally carrying a firearm or assault weapon in East Palo Alto will earn the reward money without having to answer any personal questions, provide any identification, or provide any court testimony.
Callers can receive $500 for the arrest of a person with a handgun and $1,000 for the arrest of a person with an assault rifle, according to police.
On Sunday, a 13-year-old boy was found dead in a carport at 685 Scofield Ave., his body riddled with multiple gunshot wounds.
The second victim, a 17-year-old boy, died of his injuries Sunday evening at Stanford Hospital, East Palo Alto Lt. Tom Alipio reported.
Police reported that the shooting took place around 12:27 p.m.
According to Alipio, it appears that two males in hooded sweatshirts walked up to the boys, shot them with the semi-automatic handgun, and then ran north on Scofield Avenue. The two suspects then got into a waiting vehicle and sped away, Alipio said.
The boys' deaths mark the first and second homicides of 2007 in East Palo Alto, Alipio said.

Thanks!
Greg