• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL meetings on Youtube?

Should public VCDL meetings be videotaped and posted online?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IanB

imported post

Hi everyone,

I will be videotaping the entire VCDL meeting on April 19th which includes the "Bloomberg Gun Giveaway" celebration. I plan to post the video to either Google video (can post the entire 1.5 hour meeting as one file) or Youtube (must be broken up into 10 minute segments, 9 in total).

Would you watch VCDL meetings over the web? I have included a poll in this post, it will be open for 30 days from today. Please take the time to let me know if you would be interested in viewing VCDL meetings. I think this could be a good way to keep our members informed who can't attend the meetings due to distance, work, or other reasons.I don't want to expend time doing this if nobody will watch them.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Defintely. I'd go with Google since it allows a longer videos. VCDL meetings haven't broken into nice, neat 10 minute snippets. Time spent on each topic varies greatly.

Also, you might consider how to handle the "round the room" introductions at the start of the meeting. Some may not want that being broadcast.

sitedzn

imported post

seeing as how i just got my member info 2 days ago, this would be a great first meeting to attend. it is a long haul that late in the evening, and i might end up on the couch too.:uhoh:

i'm all for it. it would be great to send the link out to people i know to let them know about vcdl (especially if i come away with a 45!)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Not sure I like the idea. I voted "no" for the moment. I'll think on it.

If keeping members informed is your primary concern, you could volunteer to put up video on a website of your own creation. Password access?

I do agree that video may help raise the activity level of members who feel perhaps less connected to the group.

Have you gotten permission from VCDL?

IanB

imported post

Also, you might consider how to handle the "round the room" introductions at the start of the meeting. Some may not want that being broadcast.
I already gave that some thought, the introductions will be clipped out. If anyone speaks after the introductions during the main part of the meeting, their audio WILL be picked up though.

Due to camera angle, some people in the front rows would be on camera, but I would try to keep that to a minimum.

PVC has always said the meetings are open to the press so I don't think there should be too many propblems.

As with all of our meetings, there is an open invitation to the press to attend and I expect they will be there.
http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/vadetail.html?RECID=1400642&FILTER=

IanB

imported post

If keeping members informed is your primary concern, you could volunteer to put up video on a website of your own creation. Password access?
I do have a website, but only 20MB of storage and 1GB monthly bandwidth. I'm not an HTML expert so password protecting the video is beyond my abilities. My plan is to embed the video into the website.

possumboy

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I do have a website, but only 20MB of storage and 1GB monthly bandwidth. I'm not an HTML expert so password protecting the video is beyond my abilities. My plan is to embed the video into the website.

That will be a big video. 1GB of bandwidth is nothing and will get consumed quickly with video. Let me look around, I may be able to find some alternatives.

Also, who do you use? I pay $7.77/month for 300GB of storage, and 3000 GB of data transfer. I do not even come close to using that much, well, I use the storage, not the transfers. I am working on video feeds...

IanB

imported post

I have to disagree with you. Embeding youtube video does not consume my bandwidth. I have had over 1200 page views since I started building the site last Sunday and have only consumed 9.6MB of bandwidth. The Youtube video comes straight from youtube, not my site.

I use the free tripod site.

http://vaguninfo.tripod.com/

possumboy

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I have to disagree with you. Embeding youtube video does not consume my bandwidth. I have had over 1200 page views since I started building the site last Sunday and have only consumed 9.6MB of bandwidth. The Youtube video comes straight from youtube, not my site.

I use the free tripod site.

http://vaguninfo.tripod.com/
Yeppers, I ws thinking you were hosting the video also... I just don't like having my stuff out on youtube. Let someone download it if they want it that bad.

VAopencarry

imported post

If you plan on editing it you can probably get it to about 30-45 minutes of real info. IMO a lot excess jibber jabber goes on. I think it's a good idea for those that can't make it to meetings.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Im for it, but a video would require editing of introductions and some of the info not for general disemination.

Bubba Ron

imported post

If you haven't already, I'd recommend contacting Philip Van Cleave and discussing your intensions. He may want to review your finished product prior to it going on the web. It would be great for the folks that can't make it toa Thursday evening meeting....

IanB

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
If you haven't already, I'd recommend contacting Philip Van Cleave and discussing your intensions. He may want to review your finished product prior to it going on the web. It would be great for the folks that can't make it toa Thursday evening meeting....

I'll be bringing this up with PVC at the meeting this Thurs.

Bubba Ron

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I'll be bringing this up with PVC at the meeting this Thurs.
Just read your email to PVC - you made very good points and we also gave our support for it.We think lotsof folks, unable to attend these meetings, can benefit from them and see just how VCDL works. Thanks for your generous offer - we hopePhilip and the Board endorse it.

TEX1N

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Im for it, but a video would require editing of introductions and some of the info not for general disemination.
I agree. Publishing the video online would help to keep everyone informed, but at the same time it would be good to respect the privacy of the members who wish to stay out of the public eye.

IanB

imported post

The meeting this week will not be videotaped due to the postponement of the Bloomberg celebration.

IanB

imported post

LW: I agree. I will have the equipment out in the car just in case.

I haven't heard back from PVC, I'll see what he has to say before I break the gear out.