• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting in Michigan

glock36

imported post

hello,
I've been reading these forums for a couple weeks now and thought id finally ask a question. I live in michigan and we had a shooting alittle while ago. I just read this article about how he was denied a hangun but could buy a shot gun. Heres the link:

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/news-43/1176435649323890.xml&storylist=newsmichigan

so my question is how did he get denied for a handgun? as far as i new when you purchase a pistol or rifle the run your info through NICS. The article says the county denied the permit. how would the county know something the F.B.I wouldnt? It seems like if there was somthing that he'd been convicted of, that denied him the right to own a firearm the federal goverment, at least the ATF would know. and also, if it wasnt something that he'd been convicted of ( which is how he makes it sound) how can they take hi gun rights away?

i think we can all agree this man does not need to own firearms, but the whole story is kind weird.

so any clarification on why this is so would be great

p.s great forums!

VAopencarry

imported post

.....he added that the department looked at records that went beyond arrests or convictions that might have shown up in an FBI check.

"Theoretically, you could have a clear criminal history but still have contacts with law enforcement that would not rise to the level of an arrest or conviction," Scherlinck said. A police chief "can use those contacts to deny a permit whether or not those involved arrests that might show up on a criminal history."

There's your answer. It seems in Michigan the local PD can, at it's discretion, deny your handgun purchase.

casullshooter

imported post

"There are a lot of potential bad guys that are good guys until they do something wrong."(Brady Campaign)

Thanks for the BGO , Brady Campaign .

There a lot of potential speeders on the Highway until they push the accelerator too hard.

Legba

imported post

There are several databses that can be involved in background checks. The NICS check covers criminal convictions and things like dishonorable military discharges, but something like commitment to a mental institution falls outside the normal federal criminal investigative reporting, and it devolves to state/local authoritiesto either report this information or perform their own checks (or have it go unnoticed). There have been problems in the past with important things like restraining orders because different states have different reporting procedures for civil actions (I think Colorado had a case where a guy got - and criminally used - a gun, despite having a TRO against him, but who nonetheless passed a NICS check).

-ljp

glock36

imported post

Yeah i wished they would say that he had a history of mental illness, not just they denied him.

it just got me wondering what they were basing it on thats all

thanks