• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where,When How

Vito_07

imported post

Mike, I've had a permit to carry for close to 10 years, and still can't find anyone that can tell me what the specific laws are in Pa. Can I carry into stores, resturants, ect.? What about the metal detectors at the doors....what do I do when they go off? I know that I can't carry into Govt buildings, schools, Post Office, but where can I carry? Thanks. Plus...I carry a 38 Snub nose...that's tough to conceal....any ideas ?

Vito

lprgcFrank

imported post

PA is a very firearm friendly state. Open Carry is legal everywhere - but you need a License to Carry Firearms to Open Carry in Philly.

Compliments of packing.org

tle 18 Section 913 Possession of firearm or other dangerous weapon in court facility.
(a) Offense defined.--A person commits an offense if he:
1. knowingly possesses a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a court facility or knowingly causes a firearm or other dangerous weapon to be present in a court facility; or
2. knowingly possesses a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a court facility with the intent that the firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime or knowingly causes a firearm or other dangerous weapon to be present in a court facility with the intent that the firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime.
Title 18 § 912 Possession of weapon on school property.
(a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.
(b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.
(c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.
A poster on 5/17/03 posted a reply from the PA Attorney General. The AG would not answer his request for an answer to his questions on places off limits and CCW holders but did say that there were no rulings about PA Code 18-912 concerning Permit Holders and School Property. Use Caution.

casullshooter

imported post

Another good source would be gunlaws.com , they print "The VA Gun Owners Guide" and I believe they also print one for every state . There is also a "US Gun Owners Guide" .

Vito_07

imported post

Thanks !! I was aware of those two laws.....I am just nervous about having the gun on me when I walk into a store that has the metal detectors....like WalMart, KMart....ECT.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have never seen a Wal-Mart or Kmart with metal detectors. I think you're referring to those magnetometers that go off when someone walks out with merchandise tagged with the little magnetic anti-shoplifting band. I've carried openly and concealed in every kind of store imaginable, and never set off any type of alarm with my firearm. If the alarm did go off, I would certainly show them I had no merchandise, but would NEVER let them search me on the spot if they wanted to see what was in my pocket. This is one of the advantages of OC: no suspicious hidden objects, just a nice everyday pistol sitting right there in its holster.

Tomahawk

imported post

Vito_07 wrote:
Thanks !! I was aware of those two laws.....I am just nervous about having the gun on me when I walk into a store that has the metal detectors....like WalMart, KMart....ECT.
Those aren't metal detectors, they're RFID detectors for stolen merchandise.