• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Minimum Age to OC

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The minimum age to OC is 18 years of age. The state of Maine issues licenses to carry concealed from that age, presumably therefor, open carry is also legal.

springfield_xd40

imported post

I was talking to i guy from the pd and he said it is Thechnicaly Illegel for some one to sell a hand gun private sale to someone under 21. Idk think he was full of it.

jay75009

imported post

springfield_xd40 wrote:
I was talking to i guy from the pd and he said it is Thechnicaly Illegel for some one to sell a hand gun private sale to someone under 21. Idk think he was full of it.
HE was full of it, Federal law states that you only have to be 21 to purchase through a FFL. however Private purchase or "gifts" you only have to be 18. you also only have to be 18 to carry or legaly own a pistol. if you are under 18 it has to be owned by your parents and they have to supervise the use of it.

States cannot make laws that oversee or change federal laws. so wichever LEO told you that just doesnt know the federal laws lol

jay75009

imported post

true but those laws are much like city ordinances .........if it goes against what the state or federal law says. odds are it will not hold up in court.........portland ME made an oridinance against OC..........and arrested a guy for it, he was later released because OC is protected by the states constitution and then again by federal laws. a state may make a law saying you cant. but if it goes to court it will most likely fail.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
true but those laws are much like city ordinances .........if it goes against what the state or federal law says. odds are it will not hold up in court.........portland ME made an oridinance against OC..........and arrested a guy for it, he was later released because OC is protected by the states constitution and then again by federal laws. a state may make a law saying you cant. but if it goes to court it will most likely fail.
Wrong answer - no cigar. Some states enjoy full preemption within their jurisdiction; however, there is no similar federal preemptive law regarding guns.

States can and do make laws more restrictive than the federal statutes.

Examples are found easily regarding class III weapons or suppressors which cannot be possessed in certain states. California, New York et al have a plethora of laws that go far beyond those enacted or not addressed by Washington.

Please cite which federal laws protect OC.

Yata hey

jay75009

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
jay75009 wrote:
Wrong answer - no cigar. Some states enjoy full preemption within their jurisdiction; however, there is no similar federal preemptive law regarding guns.

Examples are found easily regarding class III weapons or suppressors which cannot be possessed in certain states. California, New York et al have a plethora of laws that go far beyond those enacted or not addressed by Washington.

Yata hey
That one is easy :-D the 2nd Amendment lol the right to bear arms in a Militia :-D i would like to see one single Militia that conceals its weapons lol i can guarantee noone can find one.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
jay75009 wrote:

Yata hey
That one is easy :-D the 2nd Amendment lol the right to bear arms in a Militia :-D i would like to see one single Militia that conceals its weapons lol i can guarantee noone can find one.
Still no cigar - the 2nd Amendment has not been incorporated yet. OC is not protected by the U.S.Constitution as it applies to citizens in all 50 states + DC. Would like it to be - but it just ain't so.

The premise that "a state may make a law saying you cant. but if it goes to court it will most likely fail" is 180 degrees off course. State laws most frequently do prevail in court, even when the exceed the federal standard.

Yata hey

jay75009

imported post

haha the last post i was just being a smart A$$ lol but you guys are right, i called my lawyer and checked. i was under the belief that states could not but i was wrong. +1 to you .