Thread: carrying while on probation

Post imported post

new question for ya, as i stated before, i am on county probation ( franklin)for stupidity in 1999, now, i have all permission necessary from my p.o. to have my guns, basically i said " can i have my guns?" and they said "yes".....since open carry is not illegal, I see no reason i shouldn't, at least when walking (no concealed permit, so can't take in the car) and i actually walk a bit to do other things, i.e. metal detecting, yard sales, walks with the family, etc..... i guess my question is, what are your opinions on this, and are there any situations like mine that anyone knows of? i.e. allowed their guns on prob. and open carry?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Two things come to mind with this question.

• A Lawyer
    • A 10 foot pole
    I suggest that you ask the first and I'm not touching your question with the second.

LoveMyCountry

Post imported post

no problem, i am actually going to the root of this monday, i will call my p.o., informing her that open carry is legal, and since she has no problem with me having my guns, she has no problem with me carrying them......Right.....basically i guess i will tell her more than ask, and see what the response is.........

Post imported post

Are you under a sentence for a crime punishable by more than 1 year in jail? A yes to that question would be a definite NO! Otherwise you will have to make sure the specific offence you are under sentence for does not prohibit the possession of a firearm under PA law. Some states do limit the possession of firearms while under sentence, but still allow possession in the home, so do your homework.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Many on this boardhaveencountered LEO's that just don't know all the laws.Fact is that your PO also may not know the law. Regardless of the background, probation is probation.

We all ask advice and talk about hypothetical situations all day long, but when you discuss something that is potentially illegal, please keep the following in mind.

Though your identity is technically unknown to the rest of us, the admin of the board has full names, e-mail addresses and all other information that may connect you to a potential crime. No one wants to make anyone an accessory after the fact, so discussions such as this are best left between you and a lawyer.

Post imported post

I agree, i was just curious as to opinions or if anyone had a situation, similar to mine, but i am done with prob as of 7-07, and according to FL. guidelines i am eligible for their permit, so i will just go that route.

Post imported post

lockman wrote:
    Are you under a sentence for a crime punishable by more than 1 year in jail? A yes to that question would be a definite NO!....
    Please explain.

Post imported post

Is it regular probation or double secret probation?

Post imported post

apjonas wrote:
    lockman wrote:
    Are you under a sentence for a crime punishable by more than 1 year in jail? A yes to that question would be a definite NO!....
    Please explain.
    no, max i could get was probation, which is done on 7-07, so i just wait 3 months and then carry........