• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting at Virginia Tech

vt357

imported post

This just happened. There was a shooting in the West Ambler Johnston dorm this morning. Not much info has been released other than the campus is on lockdown.

http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/story.php?relyear=2007&itemno=248

Second time this year that it has happened. I am no longer a student there - but it still makes me furious. Students are not allowed to have weapons on campus to defend themselves.

:cuss::cuss::cuss:

hsmith

imported post

one reported dead, one injured. Gunmen have "automatic weapons" from what I have heard.

"rumored" to be a professor

IanB

imported post

*GASP* But firearms possesion by students or staff is prohibited on campus!

vrwmiller

imported post

Are you saying that the University's gun ban didn't work?!?! How outrageous! Goes to show that criminals pay no mind to laws and policy.

sitedzn

imported post

1998 myself - never took a gun into my dorm room, but did keep a hunting rifle in the truck during the season. didn't trust campus police to keep it for me.

vt357

imported post

My sister lives in that dorm. My parents have already talked to her and she is ok but sheesh! I will never let anyone question why I carry on campus ever again. If this isn't justificiation, then nothing is.

rabbit994

imported post

My estimation is probably underclassman doing bad in school and having problems with significant other.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

7-8 casualties. There were short lived reports of people getting spooked and jumping from windows in the dorms. (2 females in this case). I think the reports of casulties will result in being more collateral damage from the panic. I have only been able to find one dead and several injured...

I'm not trying to minimize this tradgedy, but also don't want to be as guilty as the media for spreading what I know to be misinformation...

local news is reporting 7-8 other casualties outside of the shooting victims...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

coltcarrier wrote:
VT president should be making a statement anytime now (noon press conference)

VTU president Steger says there were two events one at a few minutes after 7:00 AM and one two hours later at Norris Hall. The shooter at Norris Hall is deceased.

CNN is reporting that at least 20 people were fatally shot but that is not confirmed yet.

IanB

imported post

This is absolutely horrible. I just heard some students were shot, and killed... while in class.

If only those students were allowed to protect themselves. This may have turned out different.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

I pray for everyone except the shooter(s).

This was a massacre.

I wonder what kind of maniac with a gun did this. The top cop being interviewed wouldn't release the type of gun used--wouldn't even say if it was a handgun or a rifle.

cato

imported post

We need to pray, then get really mad at the laws and policies and those who make themin this country that force adults to be disarmed victims led to the slaughter!!! I'd even fly out to help on this one. We cannot allow these victim disarmament situations to exist anymore:exclaim::exclaim::exclaim: This cannot go unanswered and deserves a response greater than the CCW info release protest or any appearance at a city council meeting.

Rally with the Virginians! VCDL lead the way!