• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Handgun / Caliber for wife

ronb5538

imported post

I got the surprise of my life this past weekend. As usual, I went to the gun club for my weekly round of shooting targets.

To my amazement, my wife asked to come along (she's never held a gun in her life). She shot my Dan Wesson 38/357, and my Taurus 85. In all she sent about 60 rounds down the lane. Then said the Dan Wesson was too heavy, and the Taurus snubbie kicked too much thenasked what gun would be best for her.

She likes the boom of the 38 so I don't think she would like a 22. Besides, I want her to shoot something that will be good for her protection (my God she's talking about taking the concealed weapons trainingcourse).

Ok guys, what's the wife shooting?

sitedzn

imported post

Bersa 380 - boom of a 38, recoil of a small semi-auto. then again, my wife shot my full size 1911 45 and loved it too!

Mtn Jack

imported post

I got a 357 for my wife best trade i ever made:cool:just kidding, she shoots them all, but we are still shoping for a lady smith .38cal. Be safe mtn jack

ronb5538

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Best Handgun / Caliber for wife

Ha ha when I saw the title of this thread I had to wonder what you meant...

Glad to see you meant it in the good way! :)

Now that I read it again ... I see what you mean.

HerbM

imported post

sitedzn wrote:
Bersa 380 - boom of a 38, recoil of a small semi-auto. then again, my wife shot my full size 1911 45 and loved it too!
My wife likes her (own) .380, a 1911-style pony colt, but she shoots my Glock .45s ok too. Oddly enough she doesn't like the Glocks in 9mm or the Kahr even though I expected her to prefer those.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I think you should choose her gun the same way you'd choose one for yourself! Find one that she says is comfortable and looks kool (we all know we wouldn't buy an ugly gun). Test fire it if you can, and go for the largest caliber she can comfortably and consistantly control.

vermonter

imported post

North American Arms .32 ACP. She won't be sorry!

Attachments

• m_smlgrd.jpg
    m_smlgrd.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 402

snolden

imported post

mine started off with a phoenix arms .22 to help here decide if she wanted a semi or a revolver.

Once she decided on a semi, I explained the different calibers and then she chose a glock 27 in .40 s&w. Not an easy gun to shoot. I was surprised.

She is 5'2" and 125#. Her hands hurt after an extended outing but she likes the challenge and knows it is a "better" caliber than .32 or .22

ronb5538

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Let her decide. Take her to a gun store and let her handle different guns and see what she likes.

Good idea. I'm trying to get different opinions (educated) so that when we do go to the gun store we can make a logical choice.

Thanks for the reply.

CrashVector

CrashVector

imported post

I'll take that as a compliment..lol

When we first met, she wasn't too much into guns...but she's gotten very good with her P95. Put it this way, I certainly would not want to be the person standing on the business end of her Ruger.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

CrashVector wrote:
When we first met, she wasn't too much into guns...but ...

There's a very good book by Caitlin Kelly, "Blown Away: American Women and Guns," that is really goodfor explaining a bunch of details and concepts about guns and self-defense forwomen. It's in paperback now.

I recommend it.

Ironically, Kelly, who understands allthat isinvolved in self-defense with guns,chooses not to carry a firearm but she does agood journalistic job tolay out the arguments for women to make up their own minds.

I think that,generally, women are not"into guns" but thatthe big majority of themgrok self-defense. I think that women citizens, as a group, might very well perform better than men as a group, given enough training, experience and time.