• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What they're telling your children

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

(snip)

[font=Tahoma,Tahoma]Stay away from guns and other weapons. [/font][font=Tahoma,Tahoma]Tell an adult if you know someone has gun. Access to guns is one of the leading risk factors for deadly violence.

1. [align=left][/align]
(snip)
[/font][font=Tahoma,Tahoma]

[align=left]NASP has additional information for parents and educators on school safety, violence prevention, children’s trauma reactions, and crisis response at www.nasponline.org. [/align]
[align=left]©2006, National Association of School Psychologists, 4340 East West Highway #402, Bethesda, MD 20814 [/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]I plan to be in touch with these folks as well. This is the WRONG message if we're teaching personal responsibility, and I want to see facts to back up that statement.[/align]
[/font]

rebfan

imported post

My son's school which is private recently had a field trip to the NRA gun museum for the 5th and 6th graders. As far as I know there were no hysterics or fainting on the part of any parent or child. I'm sure the children were provided with a very good overview of gun safety on the trip.

Flowmaster

imported post

a school trip to the NRA firearms museum. that is so amazing. i was just there last week and thought it'd be a cold day in hell when schools would take field trips there, but i'm very glad i'm wrong in that assumption.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

My children go to a school where the entire staff owns and wears guns! Theyteach the students aboutfirearms and gun safety. The students know where the guns are kept and have no problem leaving them alone. They go on field trips to gun shops and even go to shooting ranges werestaff andstudents alikeshoot rifles and handguns at lifelike targets.The children have confidencein their teachers and in their ownability to protect themselves if an intruder should invade the school.

Homeschool - it does a child good! :D

LoveMyCountry

Mtn Jack

imported post

Hey both of my college age daughters said there turkey guns would have come out of there trunks if this were to happen at there school,boy i am proud of them. There mother and i spent many hours on the range with them, teaching and shooting. Like they say girls rule, i know mine would. Mtn Jack

possumboy

imported post

Tess wrote:
(snip)

[font=Tahoma,Tahoma]Stay away from guns and other weapons. [/font][font=Tahoma,Tahoma]Tell an adult if you know someone has gun. Access to guns is one of the leading risk factors for deadly violence.

1. [align=left][/align]
(snip)

[align=left]NASP has additional information for parents and educators on school safety, violence prevention, children’s trauma reactions, and crisis response at http://www.nasponline.org. [/align]

[align=left]©2006, National Association of School Psychologists, 4340 East West Highway #402, Bethesda, MD 20814 [/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]I plan to be in touch with these folks as well. This is the WRONG message if we're teaching personal responsibility, and I want to see facts to back up that statement.[/align]
[/font]

Rut-Ro, I just starting teaching my 5 year olds how to clean guns tonight. I've scarred them for life!

That is a couple of the rules about guns I have taught my young children.

1) Never touch daddy's guns with out him there - tonight was the first time they had been allowed to touch them, and they were disassembled. And they just rubbed the difference pieces down after I had cleaned them.

2) Guns are not toys, never play with guns.

3) If you see a gun, you need to tell mommy or daddy and not touch it. - I don't know how safe others are with guns.

So I guess I'm breeding fear and loathing also.

TESS!!!! I do not mean this as an attack, just the way it is delivered makes a lot of difference. I never tell my kids guns are bad, just dangerous. And I will teach them to use them safely.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Tess-

This sounds like a twisted version of the NRA eddie eagle program. Have you seen the whole program? It might be an anti-rights rewrite of some kind.

Regards

This is specifically written by NASP "to talk to your kids about violence." I just don't like the way they present it - in the middle of everything else, with no backup. NASP (and the PTA, and many other "educational" institutions) is very anti-gun. They'd rather protect kids by keeping knowledge away from them than by teaching them to be responsible.

I was specifically referring to the "access to guns...." statement, not the first part.

But I'll get off this soapbox.

LEO 229

imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
My children go to a school where the entire staff owns and wears guns! Theyteach the students aboutfirearms and gun safety. The students know where the guns are kept and have no problem leaving them alone. They go on field trips to gun shops and even go to shooting ranges werestaff andstudents alikeshoot rifles and handguns at lifelike targets.The children have confidencein their teachers and in their ownability to protect themselves if an intruder should invade the school.

Homeschool - it does a child good! :D

LoveMyCountry

I learned gun safety in school back in the late 70's. Gave you a blaze orange card upon completion.

Do they not teach gun safety anymore.. :shock: