• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WHY is this ALLOWED?

gregma

imported post

vermonter wrote:
Why are foreign nationals who have NOT attained or earned citizenship, allowed to buy guns?
Why should they not be allowed to buy handguns? Why does this matter at all to what happened up in VA? Sorry to say this, but him having the ability to purchase a handgun had NOTHING to do with him mudering 32 people.

In fact I might say thank God he was able to purchase and use only a handgun. Just think what would have happened if guns were outlawed. Would it have been better for him to constuct a fertalizer bomb and kill 300 with the blast?

This inhuman animal chose to murder human beings. He was going to murder regardless of which method he chose. You can't explain it, you can't prevent it. Crap happens.

There are only two things you can do.

#1 - Arm more citizens and train them fully.
#2 - Again start teaching from childhood that rather than just rolling over and giving the BG what they want, and being nice little sheep completely "non-violent", they need to stand up for themselves and others. Start fighting back!

Thanks!
Greg

30 cal slut

imported post

we should deport all those fuzzy bastards.

(just kidding).

I'm not sure I have strong feelings on theissue. Part of my attitude is, "become a citizen, until then I could really care less yadda yadda."

I would say that it would be tough to host Olympic and other shooting events if we didn't allow foreign nationals and/or residents to possess firearms.

And what of otherlaw abidingresidents who are serving in our armed forces and paying taxes but are not yet full-fledged citizens? Is it fair to them?

:?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Lew wrote:
Hanson was, in fact, the third "President of the United States in Congress Assembled," (albeit the first to serve a full term). He was not a president of the United States. At the time, the office was merely a presiding officer of the legislature, not an executive of the State. The two title just, unfortunately, share a similar nomenclature - president. As for the details of his prestigious lineage, there's more debate to be found, but it's hard to sift through the accounts.

Samuel Huntington was the seventh president of the Continental Congress overall, and the second prior president to John Hanson. Huntington never used the title "President of the United States" (which was invented in 1787 and first used by George Washington

The Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union, commonly known as the Articles of Confederation, was the first governing document, or constitution, of the United States of America. It was written in summer 1777 and adopted by the Second Continental Congress on November 15, 1777 in York, Pennsylvania after a year of debate. In practice it served as the de facto system of government used by the Congress ("the United States in Congress assembled") until it became de jure by final ratification on March 1, 1781. At that point Congress became Congress of the Confederation. The Articles set the rules for operations of the United States. The confederation was capable of making war, negotiating diplomatic agreements, and resolving issues regarding the western territories; it could print money and borrow inside and outside the US. One major weakness was it lacked taxing authority; it had to request funds from the states. A second weakness was one-state, one-vote. The larger states were expected to contribute more but had only one vote. As Benjamin Franklin complained, "Let the smaller Colonies give equal money and men, and then have an equal vote. But if they have an equal vote without bearing equal burthens, a confederation upon such iniquitous principles will never last long."[1][/suP] The Articles created a weak national government designed to manage the American Revolutionary War. When the war ended in 1783, its many inadequacies became glaringly obvious, and national leaders such as George Washington and Alexander Hamilton called for a new charter. The Articles were replaced by the much stronger United States Constitution on June 21, 1788.

The following list is of those who led the Congress of the Confederation under the Articles of Confederation as the Presidents of the United States in Congress Assembled. The "president" under the Articles was the presiding officer of Congress. He was not the chief executive, as is the President of the United States under the Constitution.

For a full list of Presidents of the Congress Assembled and Presidents under the two Continental Congresses before the Articles, see President of the Continental Congress.

Even though the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution were established by many of the same people, the two documents were very different. The original five paged Articles contained thirteen articles, a conclusion, and a signatory section.

1. Establishes the name of the confederation as "The United States of America" and says it is a "perpetual Union."
  2. Explains the rights possessed by any state, and the amount of power to which any state is entitled.
  3. Establishes the United States as a league of states united "... for their common defense, the security of their liberties, and their mutual and general welfare, binding themselves to assist each other, against all force offered to, or attacks made upon them ..."
  4. Establishes freedom of movement–anyone can pass freely between states, excluding "paupers, vagabonds, and fugitives from justice." All people are entitled to the rights established by the state into which he travels. If a crime is committed in one state and the perpetrator flees to another state, he will be extradited to and tried in the state in which the crime was committed.
  5. Allocates one vote in the Congress of the Confederation (United States in Congress Assembled) to each state, which was entitled to a delegation of between two and seven members. Members of Congress were appointed by state legislatures; individuals could not serve more than three out of any six years.
  6. Only the central government is allowed to conduct foreign relations and to declare war.
  7. No two states can form an alliance without permission of Congress.
  8. No states may have navies or standing armies, or engage in war, without permission of Congress (although the state militias are encouraged)
  9. When an army is raised for common defense, colonels and military ranks below colonel will be named by the state legislatures.
  10. Expenditures by the United States will be paid by funds raised by state legislatures, and apportioned to the states based on the real property values of each.
  11. Defines the rights of the central government: to declare war, to set weights and measures (including coins)
  12. Congress serves as a final court for disputes between states.
  13. Defines a Committee of the States to be a government when Congress is not in session.
  14. Requires nine states to approve the admission of a new state into the confederacy; pre-approves Canada, if it applies for membership.
  15. Reaffirms that the Confederation accepts war debt incurred by Congress before the articles.
  16. Declares that the articles are perpetual, and can only be altered by approval of Congress with ratification by all the state legislatures.
Still at war with the Kingdom of Great Britain, the colonists were reluctant to establish another powerful national government. Jealously guarding their new independence, the Continental Congress created a loosely structured unicameral legislature that protected the liberty of the individual states at the expense of the confederation. While calling on Congress to regulate military and monetary affairs, for example, the Articles of Confederation provided no mechanism to ensure states complied with requests for troops or revenue. At times, this left the military in a precarious position, as George Washington wrote in a 1781 letter to the governor of Massachusetts, John Hancock.

The Articles supported the Congressional direction of the Continental Army, and allowed the 13 states to present a unified front when dealing with the European powers. But as a tool to build an effective wartime government, they were largely a failure. Congress could make decisions, but had no power to enforce them. A grave weakness was the requirement for unanimous approval before any modifications could be made to the Articles.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Tess wrote:
An illegal alien will not pass the NICS check.

And if he's buying the weapon illegally, no law will stop it.
Are you sure about that, 'an illegal alien will not pass NCIS'?

That would be a mighty large database to support a test requiring a response for all legal gun purchasers. I suspect that it is actually a listing of who may not purchase a gun - that an illegal will not appear on not having a legal existance.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KKKKKK MA$$

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Tess wrote:

That would be a mighty large database to support a test requiring a response for all legal gun purchasers. I suspect that it is actually a listing of who may not purchase a gun - that an illegal will not appear on not having a legal existance.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KKKKKK MA$$

Well.. they have to provide...usually government issued photo id + ssn. this SHOULD show up in the NCIS data base that holds ALL the vital info to decline or approve.

Yea,yea...ssn# can be bought around the corner, but what are the chances that it's a "good" ss card #

my 2 cents

TEX1N

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Yea,yea...ssn# can be bought around the corner, but what are the chances that it's a "good" ss card #
Or if you are buying a gun in VA, just don't put your SSN on the application as it is only requested not required. :D

UTOC-45-44

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
Or if you are buying a gun in VA, just don't put your SSN on the application as it is only requested not required. :D

I don't agree with that,not to have the ssn# as a requirement, cuz that COULD preventALOT of wrong weapon sales.But what I think is not so important . If this is NOT a requirement how can than proper info be given to BCI and proper info responded back to the arms dealer???

I guess that's why I am on the lower end of the totem pole:what:

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Tess wrote:

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/nicsfact.htm#top
[size="-1"]
The NICS is a national system that checks available records on persons who may be disqualified from receiving firearms.
[/size]
An illegal alien will not be stopped by a Brady check.

Collier4385

imported post

The issue is a lack of immigration enforcement, rather than a constitutional gunright. Self defense is a human right not to be infringed upon by any law. Not all immigrants are bad. My relatives came from the UK, Germany and Italy, and all of them became American citizens and led productive lives. Contrary to the dirty filth portrayed the Sopranos, they weren't mobsters with guns. The German relatives weren't Nazis.

I urge caution on bigotry. Address the cause of the illness, not the symptoms. Immigration laws that don't work cannot be cured by restricting gun purchases. Just remember, one more restriction gives ground to those who ultimately want to take all guns.

Collier4385

imported post

Let us hope that it never comes to that TrueBrit! People are going to play the race card, immigration card, socioeconomic card or whatever wildcard they have on this issue. Pray for the dead and grieving, but plan to fight for the living and future generations. This just might fuel a gun ban that would put to shame the Clinton 94 crime against humanity.

The simple truth...there is no rational answer when irrational people do irrational things. The "prevention" for another VT is vitamin JHP (in my prefered flavor of .357 magnum).

But let us give Vermonter the benefit of the doubt. Certainly he is just attempting to voice his shock and dismay, and more often than not it comes out in a manner we regret. Remember as gun owners and carriers we face bigotry...we don't need to be peddlers of the same disease.

Collier4385

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Collier4385 wrote:
I urge caution on bigotry.
Well written but for the use of 'bigotry.'

Bigot, prejudiced and racist are 'point of view' epithets not different from stupid, fat, lazy, extremist et cetera. How affected are we, by these others?

Embracing one's attitudes is essential to a healthy personality. Consider the alternative, to abandon everything one's opponent labels as not-PC?

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Collier4385 wrote:
But let us give Vermonter the benefit of the doubt. Certainly he is just attempting to voice his shock and dismay, and more often than not it comes out in a manner we regret.
I think Vermonter said exactly what he meant. He "attempted" and succeeded in getting across his forumlated points. He, like many others on both sides of the gun perspective, is looking for a scapegoat. He found his.

I give Vermonter credit for exactly what he said. He typedit out there intentionally and he had total control over every keystroke.

TEX1N

imported post

Where is Vermonter anyway? He started this little discussion and then just disappeared. I'm surprised that he doesn't want to defend his statements.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Sometimes I think there should be a breathalyzer interlocked tokeyboards....

Something like this, Bob?

Japan's KDDI Corp. Develops Cell Phone Breathalyzer

cell%20phone%20breath%20analyzer%20by%20KDDI.PNG

Last June, LG announced the LG LP4100 equipped with a breathalyzer will soon hit the US Market. The LG LP4100 is currently selling in Korea and has been very successful.

As usual, like Korea, the Japanese are ahead when it comes to adapting new cell phone technologies. Japan's second largest mobile operator KDDI Corp. has helped develop a cell phone breathalyzer that will let bus and taxi companies determine if their drivers can take the wheel. The drivers blow into a tube attached to the cell phone that measures their level of intoxication and automatically sends the results to their company's computer via the cell phone. Additionally, the cell phone named Alc-Mobile, transmits snapshots of the driver's face and location using GPS (Global Positioning System).

If a driver is inebriated, an alarm will sound at the bosses' computer. Sales of the Alc-Mobile have increased since this summer when a nationwide campaign against drunk driving followed the deaths of three children by a drunk driver in the southwestern city of Fukuoka.

Tomahawk

imported post

HankT wrote:
I think Vermonter said exactly what he meant. He "attempted" and succeeded in getting across his forumlated points. He, like many others on both sides of the gun perspective, is looking for a scapegoat. He found his.
Bingo.