Thread: Poll: How Will VTU Massacre Affect...

Post imported post

How will the VTU Massacre affect:

a.OC in Virginia?

b. CC in Virginia?

c. OC in the U.S?

d. CC in the U.S?

Generally or specifically, what do you predict?

Post imported post

I don't think it will much affect carrying open or concealed, except for a few states that will overeact as usual. Pennsylvania, traditionally pro-gun, has been tetering on the edge of lunacy lately.

What will be affected, I think, is sales and restrictions. Especially at the federal level, there will be pressure to ban or restrict all kinds of stuff, again.

Too early to tell for sure, yet.

Post imported post

I'm thinking it'll set back a couple good years of CC/OC lobbying... no election-year politian wants to make this their losing game.
    -Unrequited

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I think this infamy shows the great failure of gun control and the authorities inability to protect people. Its another horrible event like September 11 and, Katrina that shows that ultimately we have to defend ourselves.

I believe there may be a positive effect on a and b, mixed to positive c and d.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I think it'll be important to acknowledge that arming anyone - student, faculty, staff, administration, security, etc. on the campus, would probably not have saved all 32. This can't be a one-sided issue.

The reality is that someone might have been able to stop the carnage if s/he had been armed, not that anyone must be armed, or that none of this would have happened. It's important to keep to the facts.

It's also important that anti's often ignore facts. We mustn't give ground, but we must also realize there will always be the other side.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    I think it'll be important to acknowledge that arming anyone - student, faculty, staff, administration, security, etc. on the campus, would probably not have saved all 32. This can't be a one-sided issue.

The reality is that someone might have been able to stop the carnage if s/he had been armed, not that anyone must be armed, or that none of this would have happened. It's important to keep to the facts.

It's also important that anti's often ignore facts. We mustn't give ground, but we must also realize there will always be the other side.
    If the shooter was stopped by an armed student or faculty member after killing 10 or 15 people, we all know what the argument would be in the media: 'OC & CC does not work, after all the shooter still killed 15 people and thats 15 people too many.'

Post imported post

lockman wrote:
    If the shooter was stopped by an armed student or faculty member after killing 10 or 15 people, we all know what the argument would be in the media: 'OC & CC does not work, after all the shooter still killed 15 people and thats 15 people too many.'
    That's taking it wayyyyyyy too far. In fact, it's a really weird assertion considering the facts.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    How will the VTU Massacre affect:

a.OC in Virginia?

b. CC in Virginia?

c. OC in the U.S?

d. CC in the U.S?

Generally or specifically, what do you predict?
    If you google "gun control" news, you will find that the loudest voices are not ours. I am a believer in 2ndam, but I am not the editor of any of the "Posts". Unfortunately, this issue will bring back the question of legality involving high capacity magazines, if nothing else. Have you ever heard of death by athousand cuts? This is where it will start. Senator McCarthy has two things that give her a voice louder than most: 1. she's from NY (all the leftys seem to listen to NY libs), 2. her husband was also killed during a violent crime involving a gun. The nature of our government is to compromise (it hasn't always been). VA would be the last place to restrict gun ownership the way she wants to, but on a federal level we may see some pressure. And eventually, something will give. High cap mags noow, then later down the road we'll compromise on something like mandatory registry, until finally they'll come take our guns all together (at least the ones we bought after the mandatory registry). This country would spiral into a true outlaw state, where you need to be an outlaw in order to protect your family. The worst thing about the way that Cho bought the guns is that he did it "legally". The omission of his medical background is a misrepresentation on his part which could not be verified through any legal means by the shop. This may lead gvt to push for waiting or "cooling off" periods. I am not against these (no one needs a gun today), but they will not prevent things like what just happened unless these colling off periods include a medical background check. Even then, there will always be ******** in this world that can snap without a sign.

My $.02

Post imported post

I've seen more coverage about permits and GFZs then ever. And even national news from dems saying they don't think this will result in gun bans (not that it won't be tried). The CC & OC communities are better organized then ever. More states are shall issue or no permit required. Themoderate dems are from states where they think gun control is a looser issue. Ithinkthe tide is on our side. But lets not ever lower our guard.