• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i guess it's not a good idea for a korean dude to be oc'ing in VA this week...

kle

imported post

and I had just gotten my SW9VE Swock over the weekend, too, with the intention of it being both a range gun (my Keltec P11 makes for a lousy range gun...not very fun to shoot more than 150 rounds at a time) and an open-carry sidearm.

My parents are Vietnamese, and I'm a Hokie, and I was planning on starting to open carry more than just uncovering my CCW in restaurants, but in light of recent events I think I'll hold off a little bit...

unrequited

imported post

Chinese here, and my friends have joked, maybe you should hold off on OC'ing for a bit...

I only OC in restaurants because I'd rather CC (for my personal benefit), but I asked them, why, did something magically change in terms of my self-defense needs, or my rights, just because I'm asian and another asian decided to go nuts and committ mass murder?

DeadCenter

imported post

kle wrote:
and I had just gotten my SW9VE Swock over the weekend, too, with the intention of it being both a range gun (my Keltec P11 makes for a lousy range gun...not very fun to shoot more than 150 rounds at a time) and an open-carry sidearm.

My parents are Vietnamese, and I'm a Hokie, and I was planning on starting to open carry more than just uncovering my CCW in restaurants, but in light of recent events I think I'll hold off a little bit...

I felt this way at first as well. Now, I am not Vietnamese and Iam upset at what happened at VT. And there havebeen times in my life where I have been stereotypedand did not like it. But, those who did that really did not know me. If your legal, your legal.

To use an old saying. One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch.

I made a decision not to hide.

DC

30 cal slut

imported post

post was partly in jest ... partly serious.

not dissing koreans or other asians at all.

it's hard to explain, but korean-americans and korean expats are shouldering quite a bit of group shame this week.

also sad to hear that more than afewkorean students at VT are packing up and leaving for fear of reprisals. probably more imagined than perceived, but being in the national spotlight like this is frankly painful for koreans wherever they are.

DeadCenter

imported post

30 cal slut wrote:
post was partly in jest ... partly serious.

not dissing koreans or other asians at all.

it's hard to explain, but korean-americans and korean expats are shouldering quite a bit of group shame this week.

also sad to hear that more than afewkorean students at VT are packing up and leaving for fear of reprisals. probably more imagined than perceived, but being in the national spotlight like this is frankly painful for koreans wherever they are.

Ya -- Ok -- Well maybe if the media :cuss:layed off a bit everyone could take a breath.

DC

30 cal slut

imported post

preaching to the choir, man.

it's tough going from stereotype of model minority to mass killer in one fell swoop.

i am thinking mr. cho's parents could justdie of shame at any minute now.

tons of koreans in MD/VA who are feeling it, that's fer sure.

DeadCenter

imported post

unrequited wrote:
Chinese here, and my friends have joked, maybe you should hold off on OC'ing for a bit...

I only OC in restaurants because I'd rather CC (for my personal benefit), but I asked them, why, did something magically change in terms of my self-defense needs, or my rights, just because I'm asian and another asian decided to go nuts and committ mass murder?

And I respect that as your personal choice.I know others whoso the same, and I respect them as well. At least they / you / and I are armed and can defend ourselves if need be.

DC

30 cal slut

imported post

Iwonder if the whole VT shooting isgonna get harder to OC in some of the Korean restaurants in NoVAnow. God that makes me so frustrated. :banghead::cuss:

DeadCenter

imported post

30 cal slut wrote:
Iwonder if the whole VT shooting isgonna get harder to OC in some of the Korean restaurants in NoVAnow. God that makes me so frustrated. :banghead::cuss:

I don' think so. Maybe if you were in or around blacksburgh.

And again you are not doing anything wrong. We are all just following the law when entering an establishment that serves alcohol.

DC

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I work with an extremely nice Korean gentleman, he's been in this country for 25 years. Today he had to leave work early because he felt such a great sense of shame at what one of his fellow countrymen had done . We let him know it wasn't his fault but, it still has such a great effect on him.

Coolman

imported post

There were KoreanAmericans murderd at VT. also including Mary Reed from Ann. VA. This has nothing to do with one race against another.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Guys, just carry, try not to let it affect you. PLENTY of white whackos have killed loads of people, and all us whiteys still carry. Pack with pride my friends.

kle

imported post

I got a Korean buddy at work here (you wouldn't know it if you heard him talk, though--he grew up in New Jersey, did a good chunk of time in the Navy, so he swears a lot; same guy I bought my first gun from) who says he's personally offended that it was "one of his people".

On Monday (when we didn't know much about the guy) he called me at my desk and goes "F---, man, it was one of us!" when he found out the guy was Asian.

30 cal slut

imported post

kle wrote:
I got a Korean buddy at work here...On Monday (when we didn't know much about the guy) he called me at my desk and goes "F---, man, it was one of us!" when he found out...

:(:banghead:

Let's just say I had a very similar reaction and went home extremely heartbroken yesterday, outward appearances to the contrary.

I printed up a few dozenpistol targets with the VT shooter's picture on the color laser printer. Gonna run a few mags of the SMG at his ugly mug this weekend.

kle

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
Guys, just carry, try not to let it affect you. PLENTY of white whackos have killed loads of people, and all us whiteys still carry. Pack with pride my friends.
Oh I'll definitely carry, no question. I am carrying right now, as a matter of fact. But I'll carry concealed for the time being.

Flowmaster

imported post

i'm not asian, but i do look a lot younger than i am. i've got a distinct feeling that if i OC'd around northern virginia, it'd make some people flip out. they'd probably just jump to the conclusion that i'm some whackjob college kid with a gun.

because of the recent events, i havn't carried.

DeadCenter

imported post

Flowmaster wrote:
i'm not asian, but i do look a lot younger than i am. i've got a distinct feeling that if i OC'd around northern virginia, it'd make some people flip out. they'd probably just jump to the conclusion that i'm some whackjob college kid with a gun.

because of the recent events, i havn't carried.

Thank the press for freaking out all the soccer mom's. When you are comfortable, carry again.Remember "it is legal to open carry". But, You have to do what makes you feel right at the time.

DC