• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

i guess it's not a good idea for a korean dude to be oc'ing in VA this week...

leprechaun117

imported post

Flowmaster wrote:
i'm not asian, but i do look a lot younger than i am. i've got a distinct feeling that if i OC'd around northern virginia, it'd make some people flip out. they'd probably just jump to the conclusion that i'm some whackjob college kid with a gun.

because of the recent events, i havn't carried.
I'm 21, and IMHO look no where near it. I have chosen not to stop OCing, hopefully I will enlighten some people to the fact that it is legal for citizens to protect themselves. I was questioned about it yesterday and said "Virginia Tech is why i carry a gun, I want to be able to protect myself if something like that ever happens to me."

Flowmaster

imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
Flowmaster wrote:
i'm not asian, but i do look a lot younger than i am. i've got a distinct feeling that if i OC'd around northern virginia, it'd make some people flip out. they'd probably just jump to the conclusion that i'm some whackjob college kid with a gun.

because of the recent events, i havn't carried.

Thank the press for freaking out all the soccer mom's. When you are comfortable, carry again.Remember "it is legal to open carry". But, You have to do what makes you feel right at the time.

DC
yeah, i know its still legal and all, but i've got a distinct feeling that i'm 10x more likely to have the cops called on me now that everyone seems to be all touchy about guns. i'll probably startcarrying againnext week when i go to buy gas. i love going to clarendon/ballston/rossalynn and open carrying. you can see DC (where you can't carry) right over the river.

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

kimbercarrier wrote:
I work with an extremely nice Korean gentleman, he's been in this country for 25 years. Today he had to leave work early because he felt such a great sense of shame at what one of his fellow countrymen had done . We let him know it wasn't his fault but, it still has such a great effect on him.
I'm sure the shooter's family feels the same sense of dishonor, and shame.

Wooley

imported post

I really don't think you should let his race hold you back from carrying. He didn't do it because he was Korean, he did it because he had very skewed views and mental problems.

Not CCing or OCing lets him win in my opinion.

leprechaun117

imported post

Wooley wrote:
I really don't think you should let his race hold you back from carrying. He didn't do it because he was Korean, he did it because he had very skewed views and mental problems.

Judging by his videosI would have to say that this has absolutely nothing to do with making a statement about gun control.

And I definitely agree on the skewed views/mental problems comment. That was one very messed up guy....

mercutio545

imported post

I'm avoiding OC in general until this cools down some (my weapons are stored OFF-CAMPUS, but very close to campus). I guarantee you that somebody would freak out if they saw me OC'ing in the vicinity.

I'm also holding off on putting my new VCDL bumper sticker on my car because I don't feel like getting a new paint job due to keying.

Bubba Ron

imported post

Your call Tony,nine of us Open Carried at Fuddruckers last night with no problems at all. I also attended the Shad Planking all day yesterday, every person I spoke to (especially the ones with VT hats or shirts on) told me that this very terrible event could have been at least minimized by just one person that was carrying.

mercutio545

imported post

I know Ron, and I'm not afraid of carrying. I just know that the people around me are extremely tense here at VCU, and would flip out even if they something that resembled a gun. I'm going home down to Hampton Roads for the weekend, however, and I will most definitely carry everywhere I go. It is my right, and I am not going to let some maniac ruin it for me.

I've also been extremely active on facebook.com (a college networking site, sort of like myspace but a little more professional and clean) spreading the word. There are a few groups on there that promote the idea of carry on college campus, and since 90 or so percent of the users in these groups are not from Virginia, I'm explaining a lot about the gun laws and all that.

Wooley

imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
Wooley wrote:

I like your avitar

DC
Thanks eh. I'm working on getting some of these as patches...if you're in Nova and would like one let me know.

vrwmiller

imported post

Flowmaster wrote:
yeah, i know its still legal and all, but i've got a distinct feeling that i'm 10x more likely to have the cops called on me now that everyone seems to be all touchy about guns. i'll probably startcarrying againnext week when i go to buy gas. i love going to clarendon/ballston/rossalynn and open carrying. you can see DC (where you can't carry) right over the river.

I am of the opinion that we should not allow this to affect our decision to OC. In fact, I encourage you to OC. This is a perfect opportunity to stir up questions from people, which in turn, allows us to educate the public on their rights.

I spoke to a gentlemen who graduated from VT in 1980 last night. I had a chance to educate him on some of the injustices of the VA General Assembly in regards to carrying on University property. He was not aware of these injustices.

He countered the thought that students should be allowed to carry and offered up an opinion that faculty should be armed, as long as they have training and have proven that they are proficient with handling a firearm. To which I responded, that the public has a right to self-defense, regardless of that persons location, and that a person should not be forced to rely on protection from external sources. I further noted that one cannot require that all faculty carry a firearm. Therefore, if the perp entered the building to slaughter all those innocents chose classrooms where the instructors were unarmed, it would have had little to no effect on the outcome.

The government does not have the right to take the people's rights away because a select few people take their rights for granted and don't handle those rights responsibly. This gentlemen's opinion did just that because he felt that students should be unarmed.

I could see there was no changing his opinion as I continued to talk to him, at least on the spot. However, he now has more information in which to think about it. It may end up changing his mind down the road, the more he thinks about it.

BTW, he did not notice I was OC'ing until I got up to leave.

DeadCenter

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
Wooley wrote:

Judging by his videosI would have to say that this has absolutely nothing to do with making a statement about gun control.

And I definitely agree on the skewed views/mental problems comment. That was one very messed up guy....

Agreed -- If he did not use guns he would have found another way.

DC

DeadCenter

imported post

I started to feel like people would freak if they saw me OC'ing as well. Woke this AM kinda feeling like I would not OC today. I put that feeling aside and spent a good 45 minutes shopping in Walmart in many departments including the gun department. Place was busy for a Thursday. Several people noticed I was OC'ing. But, it was business as usual. Everyone was cool. I can't say this would happen everywhere. And I am not saying carry if you feel uncomfortable with it. And if I was on campus I may not as well under the circumstances. So this message is only that, a message.

DC

hsmith

imported post

I attended the vigil in Old Town last night. I didn't carry because I was going to be drinking down there later with my fellow VT Alumni.

But while drinking, it was me and 4 girls that I graduated with. We were talking about everything and I brought up the fact that I have been carrying everywhere since the incident. Amazingly enough, my one friend who has been "bothered" by me owning guns admitted that even if one person was carrying many lives would have been saved.

Maybe people are starting to get it.

kle

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Amazingly enough, my one friend who has been "bothered" by me owning guns admitted that even if one person was carrying many lives would have been saved.

Maybe people are starting to get it.
Definitely not the way I would've liked for people to "get it", though, and especially not through my own alma mater (or anyone else's for that matter, but if it had to be anybody's, we Hokies are strong people.)

I was talking with my parents last night--they're both anti-gun people--about what happened. As I was talking to them, I mentioned that all the campus police in the world wouldn't have helped, since they were too far away to be of any assistance to the people in Norris Hall. Amazingly enough, they agreed on that point. Hopefully if they mull it over, they'll understand that the guns the police had were too far away to do any good, and that any gun a student in Norris Hall might have had could have been far more effective.

But I don't think I'll ever convince them completely (and my dad even has a 12ga. shotgun of his own!)

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
I'm avoiding OC in general until this cools down some (my weapons are stored OFF-CAMPUS, but very close to campus). I guarantee you that somebody would freak out if they saw me OC'ing in the vicinity.

I'm also holding off on putting my new VCDL bumper sticker on my car because I don't feel like getting a new paint job due to keying.
I've had a lot of trouble with bumper stickers lately. I 'had' political bumper stickers on my vehicle's spare wheel cover on the rear. I finally got tired of that, and stuck up a bumper sticker sent by my Dressage Sponsor that was something to the effect of "shut up you crybabies, who cares about your whiney-assed opinions." I've kept the cry baby sticker, but added some other ones about Organic food. I'd be a little bit leary of putting something on there about guns save lives, because of what this one man in the action pistol group said once, he said that's the kind of thing that lets thieves know which car to try and swipe.

DeadCenter

imported post

I don't like bumper stickers in general. I think they cheapenthe look of the car. However, If it were on the rear glass then I think some are ok. As for the VCDL sticker -- I too have been holding off for the above reason and thereason packingdressageridermentioned. I think if it were round and about the size of a softball I would be more inclined to have it on my back window. However, I did buy a VCDL patch and my own black polo. Then had it stitched on. I have no problem wearing the polo.Every weekend I see a handful of people with NRA stickers or some sort of pro-gun sticker on their vehicle. It does not seem to bother them a bit. There is a very old saying that goes "this to shall pass". And it shall.

DC