• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NICS loopholes

Legba

imported post

I was sure that the subject of loopholes in reporting information for background checks had come up recently, and sure enough, this is mine from the Saturday before the rampage in Virginia:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=2089&forum_id=4&jump_to=26016#p26016

The ATF is aware of the situation, and we need to encourage legislators to tighten up the reporting for civil commitment proceedings and restraining orders and such, so that this might be avoided in the future.

-ljp

edit: That said, I don't really think that there is ultimately anything that will prevent determined lone mad-dog killer types. Still, I think we can agree that we ought to prevent ready access to weapons by mental defectives. Sorry if that's an insensitive term - certainly not all mentally ill people are dangerous - I think you know what I mean, though.

Legba

imported post

Any violation of the Gun Control Act - which is as much a part of the law as the beloved 2nd amendment - will meet withThe Mankicking inmy door and my teeth, shutting this business down, and leaving children to go hungry, if Isell a gun to a person under weapons disability. My rights will very much be infringed thereby. That's the part that I DO understand... It's called "realpolitik" in Europe.

From form 4473, question 11. f. : "Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective... or have you ever been committed to a mental institution?"

Mental defectives are "prohibited persons," like it or not.

-ljp

packin_NC_79

imported post

Legba wrote:
Any violation of the Gun Control Act - which is as much a part of the law as the beloved 2nd amendment - will meet withThe Mankicking inmy door and my teeth, shutting this business down, and leaving children to go hungry, if Isell a gun to a person under weapons disability. My rights will very much be infringed thereby. That's the part that I DO understand... It's called "realpolitik" in Europe.

From form 4473, question 11. f. : "Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective... or have you ever been committed to a mental institution?"

Mental defectives are "prohibited persons," like it or not.

-ljp
Actually you are mistaken. The 2nd amendment is not only law, but an inherent, unalienable God given right. This being said, no man has a right to take it away. As for man made laws such as the GCA, these come and go with seemingly little or no thought. Agencies such as the BATFE, DHS and so on are only fabrications of a top heavy goverment. I'm sure you know what happens to things that are top heavy. When the wind blows...Well I'll leave that for another topic, another day. The GCA is akin to the gun bans of NAZI Germany and have no place in American society. I'm sick and tired of being told what I can and can't do. It's about time to throw off the bonds which enslave us.
I'm looking right now at the Declaration of Independance, which I picked up at Borders. In the second paragraph it says,
"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that amongst these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness---That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

If we weren't a society of spineless cowards, we wouldn't let government push us around as they do. Their gun control policies are only to keep us from having any recourse against them. They call those who are against government "domestic terrorist", when it is they who terrorize us with their obscene laws and the muscle they bring to bear on innocent law abiding individuals.

Legba

imported post

At the risk of getting into a useless "flame war," I am not mistaken, sir. The US Constitution, and the second amedment thereof, is all man-made law, as is the GCA.I do not, nor should you, presume to speak for any god. The right to bear arms is very much alienable. Consult the federal definitions for "prohibited persons." Write your senators and/or representative if you want the law(s) changed. In the meantime, violate them at your peril. I assure you that the guys in the black uniforms who respond will not be "fabrications."

-ljp

edit: I am off to court presentlyto testify as the state's witness in a prosecution over the very real weapons laws. I'd invite you along for a practical civics lesson if there were more time.

packin_NC_79

imported post

The 2nd Amendment clearly states that the Right to keep and Bear Arms shall not be infringed. What part of shall not be infringed do we not seem to understand?

The courts have ruled recently that the 2nd amendment provides an individual right to keep and bear arms. If you check out the first part of the amendment, the militia it is refering to, is every able bodied man in the country. It isn't the National Guard and it isn't the Army.

While I agree that nut jobs probably shouldn't have guns, I'd gladly help them along their journey to whatever comes after this life. I am prepared to defend my own life(even at the cost of the aggressors life), as well as any innocent person who may not be able to do so for themselves.

I don't believe we can stop these people any more than the thugs from obtaining whatever means they will use to terrorize the community. They must be stopped, by force if neccessary. The only way to protect society from criminals is to lock them up and lose the key, same for mental deficents, lock them in a rubber room. Otherwise, what you see is what you get.

Are you ready for the day someone draws down on you? This may not be the wild west, but you will be just as dead. One thing to remember, no one pulls a gun unless they are ready to use it. That means a cop drawing on a man who doesn't have a gun in his hand is ready to commit murder. The only reason to ever draw on someone is if they have already done so.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Legba wrote:
At the risk of getting into a useless "flame war,"
So if I and we disagree with you then we're merely prosecuting a flame war - against an 'expert witness'? With friends like this...

In re 'realpolitik',...
Realpolitik (German: real ("realistic", "practical" or "actual") and Politik ("politics")) is a term that is synonomous to Machiavellianism and is used to describe politics based on strictly practical rather than ideological notions, and practiced without any "sentimental illusions". Realpolitik is usually used pejoratively as a term to imply politics imposed by means of physical violence, political extortion or economic suppression, or to imply completely amoral politics aimed solely to achieve the goals by any means.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KKKKKK MA$$

Legba

imported post

You're editorializing - nowhere did I use the word "expert,"so please don't use quotes. Ialso know what "realpolitik" means - that's why I did use that word. Your definition makes my point. Whether you admit that government ought to have power over people as they do, it is just that - power... not reason, and not affectionthat government ultimately derives it's "authority" from. Machiavellian?Sure. I'm not sure that we're really even disagreeing at a basic level. I'm just recognizing things as they are, and not necessarily as I would have them.

-ljp