• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roanoke Firearms (the place that sold the murderer his firearms) needs help!

gregma

imported post

Looks like they have taken down their website (http://www.roanokefirearms.com/) and have left the following in it's place (those who live close enough needs to get down to that place and buy something! Let's let them know we support them fully! We can't let them stand alone!:

Website Is Temporarily Down

Note from all of us at Roanoke Firearms:

To those of you who came to this site to send messages of encouragement -- we appreciate your concern, kindness, and goodwill. We are as troubled by this trajedy as much as anyone, except, of course, those who lost friends or loved ones,

and your words of support mean a great deal to us.

To those of you who came here to send hateful emails -- you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how misguided and inappropriate it may be. How many of you called the company who sold Timothy McVeigh the diesel fuel or fertilizer he

used to make the bomb in Oklahoma City, or the company who rented him the Ryder truck? Should we outlaw diesel fuel and trucks? How many of you read about a drunk driver who crosses the center line and kills a family, then call the

dealership who sold him the car? Should we outlaw automobiles? If we ban silverware, do you think there would be no more obesity?

One individual bears the responsibility for the heinous acts committed at Virginia Tech, and that is Cho Seung-Hui. If you think otherwise, you have not thought this through. Please be adult enough to reach out and help

someone in need, rather than leaving anonymous, vitriolic emails on our site.

God bless us all.

Website Updated April 18, 2007 @ 18:00

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Sounds like someone hacked their site. Possibly some non-violent self-appointedprotector of people's rights...

This looks like as good a spot as any to post the Time article about Roanoke Firearms. It's pretty bland except for the picture used (had to get that evile black rifle in there somehow!) and the word ("arsenal") that BobCavhates so much.

Also, I was thinking about buying a G19 someday but, um, I doubt if it will fit my hand. Oddly, my G23 fits just fine.

Apr. 18, 2007
Where Cho Bought His Deadly Weapon
By Elaine Shannon

People who are about to do monstrous things almost never look like monsters.
John Markell, 58, the proprietor of Roanoke Firearms, about 30 miles away from the Virginia Tech campus, says that his employees perceived Seung-Hui Cho as "about as clean-cut a kid as you'd want to see" when he showed up at the shop in early March.
"It was a very unremarkable sale," Markell said Tuesday.
Markell said Cho didn't give the slightest hint that he was capable of mayhem. The salesman who sold Cho the Glock 19 9mm semi-automatic compact pistol barely remembers him, according to Markell, who was not at the store when Cho shopped for his murder weapon. The salesman did recall, said Markell, that Cho browsed for awhile, then picked out a Glock 19, which was not an unusual choice. This Austrian-made pistol is popular among competition shooters. A slightly larger version of the Glock sidearm is the favored service weapon of most U.S. police and sheriff's departments.

Nothing else about Cho raised flags, Markell said: either he was an excellent actor, or he had not yet made a decision to hunt down and kill as many people as he could. "I honestly do not think it was on his mind to shoot all those people on the day he bought that gun," Markell said. "Nobody waits five weeks. Something had to set him off. I guess the loss of his girlfriend perhaps. But whatever it was, he just snapped."
According to Markell, Cho sailed through the background check. He presented three forms of identification — a Virginia driver's license, checks imprinted with the same address and a U.S. immigration document proving that he was a permanent resident of the U.S. He used his own credit card for the gun, which retailed for $535.

Markell said the salesman ran an instant background check through the Virginia State police computer system, which also checks federal records. He added that he and his salesmen look for odd behavior. "You can't believe how much we screen people," he said. "We look to see people that are coming in to buy guns. Somebody that ducks behind a stand and starts whispering to somebody else he's with, we're not likely to deal with him."

It took only a few minutes for Cho to leave the store with his Glock-19.
It was not until late Monday afternoon that Markell learned that his store had sold Cho the weapon largely responsible for the largest mass murder in U.S. history. That's when three agents of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms showed up at his weathered store, which shares premises with a pawn shop and a beauty parlor in this out-of-the-way corner of Southwestern Virginia.
One of the salesmen manning the store at the time called Markell, who was at his home doing bookwork. Markell drove to the store in five minutes and was shown a receipt for the Glock, which, the agents informed him, had killed many of those who had died at Virginia Tech that morning. The receipt, the agents said, had been in one of Cho's pockets, perhaps the pocket of his backpack, and had been discovered when his corpse was searched.

Markell said he was thunderstruck. Like most people in this area, he has ties to Virginia Tech: his daughter graduated from the school in 1997 with a major in psychology. Markell, a former Cox Cable worker, said that he opened the shop eight years ago, to support his hobby, competition shooting, and since then has sold more than 16,000 guns. Up to yesterday, only four had turned up in homicides and two in suicides, he said.

"You can't imagine," he says. "It was bad enough to watch the carnage. I didn't know I was involved until yesterday evening. I feel the same thing would still have happened if he'd bought it somewhere else. I'm positive he did not buy that gun with all this in mind. You just don't buy a gun like that and then wait five weeks.... I don't believe I'm responsible, but at the same time I feel terrible that he used one of our guns."

Markell said the agents told him that Cho had filed off the serial number that is stamped into the weapon in three places. Filing serial numbers off guns doesn't obliterate them, however — they are deeply impressed into the steel and can be raised with an acid bath. But the agents didn't have to send the guns to the lab to find their origin, because they found the receipt.

"The serial number is on the barrel, on the slide and on the bottom of the frame," Markell said. "That's quite a bit of work for anybody to do. Why anybody would go to that much trouble, because it had to take a long time, and then keep the receipt in his pocket?"

At the ATF agents' request, Markell pulled his records and quickly found his own copy of the receipt for the Glock 19. He also saw that Cho had bought a $10 box of 50 9-mm practice rounds, commonly know as full metal jacket rounds because they don't expand on contact like hollow-point rounds. These are sold for target shooting.
The Glock 19 is sold with two magazines, each capable of holding 15 rounds, double-stacked to make a compact clip not much bigger than a harmonica. Judging by the number of fatalities and wounded — most of whom reportedly were shot more than once — Cho may have fired a hundred or more rounds. Loading magazines is a slow business, so Markell figures that Cho must have acquired several more magazines and more ammunition from some other source.

At the agents' insistence, Markell went back through his books but found no record that his store was the source of the smaller Walther P-22 handgun that Cho also used in the shootings. The agents concluded the Walther (which sells for about $300), came from some other vendor.

As it turned out, the Glock 19 was perfect for Cho's deadly purpose. The gun is just 6.85 inches long and 5 inches wide, according to a Glock website, and thus easily concealed. A vest with several pockets can hold a number of compact 15-round magazines that fit a Glock 19. Cho surely knew that in cold weather a mass murderer could carry an arsenal on his back and in his pockets, and there would be no way to detect him, short of metal detectors at every entrance to every classroom building and dorm.
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1611948,00.html

IanB

imported post

I can unequivocally state that IS NOT Roanoke Firearms. The picture is from Gilberts Small Arms Range in Lorton, Va. I know the name of the man in the picture but I won't disclose it here.

IanB

imported post

I just called Gilberts, they are not aware of anyone giving permission for that photo to be taken. The pic appears the be taken from waist level, like a belt buckle camera.

gregma

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I just called Gilberts, they are not aware of anyone giving permission for that photo to be taken. The pic appears the be taken from waist level, like a belt buckle camera.
I hope they are going to do something about it! If they can that is.

Thanks!
Greg

kle

imported post

Markell drove to the store in five minutes and was shown a receipt for the Glock, which, the agents informed him, had killed many of those who had died at Virginia Tech that morning.
fer pete's sake! The gun didn't kill anyone, Cho killed the people (using that gun). Blame gun...yeah, that's it. It's all the gun's fault.

The old adage applies: Guns don't kill people, People kill people.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I can unequivocally state that IS NOT Roanoke Firearms. The picture is from Gilberts Small Arms Range in Lorton, Va. I know the name of the man in the picture but I won't disclose it here.

Why, those dirty stinkers! And they were so subtle with their picture caption:

A gun shop in Virginia.

Not Roanaoke Firearms, just "a gun shop in Virginia."

Noethics whatsoever!

I think we should all write a letter to the editor about this:

letters@time.com

And I mean everyone!

Flowmaster

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
he's exactly right. he was very helpful one time i was in there.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just sent this to the editor:

Ms. Shannon,

I recently read the article "Where Cho Bought His Deadly Weapon" dated Wednesday, Apr. 18, 2007 (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1611948,00.html) and I am outraged at what you consider to be responsible journalism!!!

The content notwithstanding, anyone from this area knows exactly what gun store you took that photo in and the story implies that is the very store and the owner you speak of. Your little disclaimer "a gun store in Virginia" while it may (or hopefully will not) cover your liability, it most certainly does not preclude RESPONSIBILITY.

The fact that this happened shows not only the depths of desperation you will go to get the story, to the point of deceiving the public, but it speaks volumes to how little respect you have for your readership and how stupid you must think the public is!

How would you like it if your picture and house were shown in an article about "Women Who Kill" with the disclaimer "A woman". You most certainly would feel degraded, belittled and would recoil at the association, yet that is no less exactly what you have done to that gun store and salesman, who is most assuredly NOT John Markell. Your photographers Yuri Gripas / Landov have most certainly overstepped their bounds.

I assure you, that man in the picture is being notified as I type and I'm certain you will be hearing from him. I have archived a copy of the web page as it is right now and will provide to him to pass to his attorney.

Robert Cavalcante Jr.
[url]www.opencarry.org[/url]
[url]www.vcdl.org[/url]
www.rightisright.us

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Flowmaster wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
he's exactly right. he was very helpful one time i was in there.

That's my shop (where I shoot) and yep, that's beyond a shadow of a doubt - Not Roanoke. I know the gentleman well and we talk a lot of genealogy. I hadn't read too much of this thread and decided to click on the "Time" link. Boy, was I shocked when "he" came up at the top of the page. I hope TIME and the photographer get their balls busted - and I usually don't use that language on here. TheWorthless Damnmedia.

I sent my letter.

I have justseen the article that appeared in the online version of TIME ((http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1611948,00.html[/u]) entitled "Where Cho Bought His Deadly Weapon", dated Wednesday, April 18, 2007.

This letter is not to comment or judge the article, but to draw to your attention that the photo at the top of the piece is not Roanoke Fireams nor John Markell, which the article eludes to. I do know where the photo was taken and I also know the gentleman in the photograph. Be advised that he has been notified of this and has been provided with both the electronic and printed copies of this article. I would expect that TIME wouldreview their copy for accuracy BEFORE posting/printing anything like this. Are there no editors in the office that would at least ask the question, "So what store is this and who is the person in the photo"? I am appalled that this inacurate article has been set in stone for the world to see.

Looks to me like the photographer (Yuri Gripas / Landov) does a lot of work for Reuters and I'll bet he's in the DC area - I found a credit for him on a Scotter Libby photo in DC and a couple of other citations.

cato

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
I need to get some gun-related stuff. If I lived down near Roanoke, I'd be sure to stop into his shop and buy a few things.

I can't get through on their phone #. I would like to place a mail order with them. I'llPM you my e-mail if you could pass it on to them.

Thanks

cato