• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My LTE in The Roanoke Times

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/wb/xp-113707

Tech stripped students of their defense
Since the first news reports, people have been asking, "What could have been done to prevent this tragedy?"

Many have been second-guessing Virginia Tech's decision to not go on full lock-down after the first shooting. I am not qualified to question that decision, but I can point to a defining moment where Tech did fail these students.

It was Jan. 31, 2006, and Tech's spokesman Larry Hincker was expressing happiness with the failure of a bill that would have allowed Virginia college students with concealed carry permits to possess their defensive firearms while on campus.
You see, in Virginia, it is not illegal to carry firearms on campus, but many colleges and universities (Tech included) enforce an extralegal ban by threatening students with expulsion.

This bill would have changed that, but it failed in subcommittee.
Upon hearing this, Hincker said, "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

I challenge Hincker and the Tech administration to face the families and loved ones of those students and explain how making students defenseless made their campus safer.