• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Printing

Jackal

imported post

I have read the RCW front and back and can't see anything about printing in the law. Does anyone know if there is a legal referance to it in this state?

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Well, my cursive is really bad so I print most of the time. :lol:

I have never heard of any laws regarding printing. If it's partially covered, then it could be open or concealed - depending upon which will allow an officer to cite you.

LoveMyCountry

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Have you checked case law? I'm guessing itmight come upas a justification for a Terry stop where the defendant appealed a conviction for possession of drugthat was found by the Terry stop that started with "saw the outline of a gun when he bent over." Maybe its come up as a charge by itself, too.

Jackal

imported post

How would I go about checking the case history? Thats sounds like a good place to start.

I know that some states have printing laws, FL for one. My problem is that I weight 140 pounds and i'm 5'2" so unless I wear my jacket I print pretty bad most of the time. I know that I could have gotten a smaller gun (I was going to get a Bursa .380, it was a very nice walther PPK bond looking gun) but I fell in love with my CZ 75B.

2A-XD-45-ACP

imported post

IANAL. YMMV. IMHO.

Jackal, when I received my WA CPL I emailed the WSP, the KCSO, and SPD. I asked them all the same questions (verbatim), to educate myself on not only the laws here but, also their 'interpretation' of it. I asked about 'printing' and accidental exposure [say while reaching for a can of soup on the top shelf at the grocery store]. In WA there are not currently any laws regulating printing specifically. However, while inadvertently printing, or exposing a muzzle, or handle of your sidearm is not specifically against the law... (Largely due to the fact that Open Carry is OK in WA)If you genuinely cause 'Alarm', or are in fact making a childish attempt to coerce or threaten someone it is in fact very illegal. By code a firearm in a holster is NOT sufficient enough cause for 'alarm' in and of itself. So act professional, (which I am pretty sure that you already do, or else you wouldn't even be asking this question), andblend in. So in other words, as long as it isn't malicious, it is OK to 'print' because of our OC laws. You might want to prepare yourself because not everyone will be warm about the issue though, and you may very well encounter a LEO as a result of someone under-educated on the laws here. Carry a copy of the Fed-Way bulletin and the RCWs just for 'giggles'. I'd hate for you to be detained any longer than necessary. Oh and COMMON criminals, don't usually use a holster.

2A-XD-45-ACP

imported post

Lonnie, I will find them and email them to you in the next day or so. Wish I could have been there today. I'd like to shake your hand sometime soon in appreciation for being so pro-active. ~Mike

Jackal

imported post

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have been pretty concerned about printing because I'm a short guy and I don't wear bulky stuff alot. You wouldn't think that a holstered pistol wouldn't cause alarm but I guess that we are the few educated citizens that know better. :)

I always try to be concious about my peice because I have alot of kids running around my neihborhood.

gregma

imported post

2A-XD-45-ACP wrote:
Lonnie, I will find them and email them to you in the next day or so. Wish I could have been there today. I'd like to shake your hand sometime soon in appreciation for being so pro-active. ~Mike
I'm hoping to get a regular "get together" started. Perhaps one saturday and one wednesday a month. Next time I'll make sure it's planned well enough in the future so more can attend.

Thanks!
Greg