• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing then followed by a cop

Flowmaster

imported post

i was in downtown mclean va tonight walking around and open carrying. it was such a nice night, we thought it'd be a great idea. at about 12:15 in the morning, three of us piled into my friend's car, which was paralell parked on a public street, and as i'm about to get into the passenger seat, a cop rolls up behind us.

the cop followed us for a couple of miles, right ontop of us, then turned off into a park. here's a map of where we were parked and where he turned off.

he seemed to turn off abruptly. it was strange. was it because he probably saw us open carrying or something? getting tailed by the cops might not be illegal, but it sure felt like he was just looking for a reason to pull us over.

do you think it was because we were walking around at midnight or do you think he was just trying to mess with some young adults?

here's a map of our route.
maplr0.jpg

we got to the next big stoplight (about half a mile away) and saw 4 cops in a row stopped at the stop light. a coincidence?

LEO 229

imported post

He probably ran your tag and when the car was not stolen... went to the park to meet up with some other LEOs. Running your tag is a way to recall your vehicle in case something did happen lateron.

If the LEO wanted to stop you.... he could have found a reason. The trip you took is consistent with the time it takes to get a tag to return and read the information.

Do not view it as a bad encounter... LEO was observant and never did stop you. :D

+1 to the naked guy... did the registered owner have a CC permit?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
He probably ran your tag and when the car was not stolen... went to the park to meet up with some other LEOs. Running your tag is a way to recall your vehicle in case something did happen lateron.

If the LEO wanted to stop you.... he could have found a reason. The trip you took is consistent with the time it takes to get a tag to return and read the information.
Let's assumre the officer ran the tag and nothing showed up. Is there an observedlocation associated the record that is kept of the run tag?How long do the data on the runtag remain available to any LEO and in the police database?

LEO 229

imported post

HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Let's assumre the officer ran the tag and nothing showed up. Is there an observedlocation associated the record that is kept of the run tag?How long do the data on the runtag remain available to any LEO and in the police database?

The tag data is stored on the LEOs localcomputer till he deletes it or signs off.

The history of what the LEO requested is stored for a couple of years. Once a year, a motorist can ask the DMV to provide a list of everyone that has ran his vehicle tag or his drivers license. This is not free and will cost you a few dollars.

rabbit994

imported post

Play with him next time. Let me him pull up next to you and play classical music and sign along. Maybe give him a friendly wave. If he's not a jerk, he'll probably just laugh. If he is, your SOL anyways.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

rabbit994 wrote:
Let me him pull up next to you and play classical music and sign along. Maybe give him a friendly wave.
Maybe say "Pardon me, officer, would you have any Grey Poupon?"

LEO 229

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
HankT wrote:
rabbit994 wrote:
Let me him pull up next to you and play classical music and sign along. Maybe give him a friendly wave.

Hopefully, it's better encounter than this
Damn I love that video!! I forgot all about it. Now you have to admit... what the cop did was wrong but that damn kid had it coming!! Too bad the guy in the car wasn't next.

cato

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
rlh2005 wrote:
HankT wrote:
rabbit994 wrote:

Hopefully, it's better encounter than this
Damn I love that video!! I forgot all about it. Now you have to admit... what the cop did was wrong but that damn kid had it coming!! Too bad the guy in the car wasn't next.

Now, now Leo, your letting your goverment side come out again.:lol:

I've always wondered if the cop was disciplined or if he arrested the "individuals" for anything?

I'll write up a mock police report here sometime to justify arresting the two "individuals" for their actions and let you all pick it apart. That would be educational for all.

How about it Leo, you want to write one too?

When I do, I'll put it over at "ask Leo".

LEO 229

imported post

cato wrote:

I've always wondered if the cop was disciplined or if he arrested the "individuals" for anything?

Come on Cato!!! You have to admit.... he had it coming! :lol:

Oh, I bet the LEO was called on the carpet for that. He had no call to give out a wood shampoo for getting the finger.

cato

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
cato wrote:

Come on Cato!!! You have to admit.... he had it coming! :lol:

Oh, I bet the LEO was called on the carpet for that. He had no call to give out a wood shampoo for getting the finger.
All I'm going to say is that it was funny.:D

GlockEm

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Question: Did the owner of the car have a CHP?
I just read this whole thread trying to see the response to this question. Is this necessary? If I'm carrying concealed and am not the driver, is this illegal for the driver who does not have a CHP??

Flowmaster

imported post

the vehicle my friend was driving at the time was new, he'd justtaken the paper tags offof it and putmetal tags on it a few days ago.

he is under 21 and does not have a CHP. he has a handgun and was OC'ing with us, but he didn't have a CHP. none of the 3 of us in the vehicle had CHPs.

we were all dressed nicely (button down shirts and jeans or dress pants)and not wearing coats because it was a nice night out and we didn't want to illegally conceal.

the driver was doing DEAD ON the speed limit, just to keep us from getting lit up. we didn't have anything illegal in the car and we weren't doing anything wrong, but a night is better if it isn't spent talking to the police. it was late anyway, i needed to get home and get in bed.

on another note, now i'm really interested to see who's run the tags on my cars in the last year.

i doubt the cop would have any Grey Pupon, i also doubt he'd find that funny.

beradcee

imported post

That video is totally fake. No cop in his right mind would wail on some kid for giving him the finger like that. I don't believe one bit that that was for real. Funny as hell, but fake