• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Poll We Need To Hit

sitedzn

imported post

voted.

Yes - 19.8%
yellow.gif

No - 80.2%
red.gif

zoom6zoom

imported post

The folks that propose this stuff never look back. We had ammunition controls up until (I believe it was) 1986. Dealers had to keep logbooks of ammo sold, be it .22 or .50BMG. All this extra beaurocracy and cost never, ever, saved a single life or provided the solution to a single crime.

kle

imported post

As far as I know, you have to be 18 to buy rifle ammo (.22LR is classified as rifle ammo, IIRC) and 21 to buy handgun ammo, regardless of the gun they're to be used in (be it a .22LR revolver, 9mm carbine, etc.).

So there are laws regarding ammo, and Cho Seung-Hui was definitely within the laws when he purchased the ammo, being 23 years old.

This poll is stupid, as are all of them. I voted 'no' anyways--VA shouldn't have laws regulating the sale of ammunition--because it more closely aligns with the above mentioned facts (18/21 age requirement).

Flowmaster

imported post

kle wrote:
As far as I know, you have to be 18 to buy rifle ammo (.22LR is classified as rifle ammo, IIRC) and 21 to buy handgun ammo, regardless of the gun they're to be used in (be it a .22LR revolver, 9mm carbine, etc.).

So there are laws regarding ammo, and Cho Seung-Hui was definitely within the laws when he purchased the ammo, being 23 years old.

This poll is stupid, as are all of them. I voted 'no' anyways--VA shouldn't have laws regulating the sale of ammunition--because it more closely aligns with the above mentioned facts (18/21 age requirement).

you're correct on the age thing, but some places will let you buy it if you're under 21 and say that 44mag is for a lever action rifle. don't know if they're supposed to let you buy it, but i know when i was under 21 i'd go buy bricks of 22 at wally world. they'd ask me right then and there if it was for a rifle or a handgun. if i had said it was for a handgun, i bet they would have refused the sale.

i voted :D

and while we're on the subject of ammo sales and ages, anyone ever notice that when you're at the NRA's shooting range (at their headquarters on waples mill road) they've got a sign up that says they only sell ammo to people 21 and older?

savery

imported post

Flowmaster wrote:
kle wrote:

you're correct on the age thing, but some places will let you buy it if you're under 21 and say that 44mag is for a lever action rifle. don't know if they're supposed to let you buy it, but i know when i was under 21 i'd go buy bricks of 22 at wally world. they'd ask me right then and there if it was for a rifle or a handgun. if i had said it was for a handgun, i bet they would have refused the sale.

i voted :D

and while we're on the subject of ammo sales and ages, anyone ever notice that when you're at the NRA's shooting range (at their headquarters on waples mill road) they've got a sign up that says they only sell ammo to people 21 and older?

Yeah, I've seen that. I've never really looked into it because it's massively cheaper elsewhere, but I believe that they only sell pistol ammo. I'm not sure what they'd do if a 20 year old walked in with a .40 s&w carbine and asked to purchase ammo, though.

Edit: The day they stop selling .22LR to 18-20 year olds will be a sad, sad, sad day in this nation. :banghead: