• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry University

LeagueOf1291

imported post

willyg wrote:
<snip> The though of having armed 18-22 year olds is plain scary.

<snip>

Pay attention now; this is the key to understanding us --- We alreadyhave armed 18-22 year olds in the Universities. Cho is proof of that. That's why I need my gun, so I can defend myself against murderous devils like Cho. The bad guys already have the guns!

<sigh> At least my children understand this. Since the antisdon't listen to reason, sometimes I think the only way to beat them is to outpopulate them. I've got four now, but I'm thinking I'd be doing us all a favor if I keep going. I still got it.

reefteach

imported post

willyg wrote:
How mature were you in college? Personally I think I was about average...which for someone in that age, someone in that environment (looking back) is pretty pathetic.

Personally I think the right to own an potentially operate a firearm isnot a right, it is aPRIVLEDGE of mature adults, one that should not betaken or given lightly. Put another way...I think you should have to absolutely jump through hoops. To methe avg college student is not someone whofalls into that category.

A privilege, much like, say, being able to worship as one chooses? Or maybe a privilege similar to, oh, maybe, owning private property which is free from unwarranted government searches or siezure? Maybe it is a privilege more like being triedin a court when accused of a crime? Remember,one of thedifferences between a right and a privilege is the ability to take it away without just cause.

I believe that you forgot that we live in a land with a "bill of rights", not a "bill of government privelege".

When I was 17, I joined the army. I had my 18th birthday in Ft. Sill Oklahoma. By 18, not only was well trained in the use of a rifle, but nuclear artillary as well. Maybe you were less mature than I, but even so, you had the inalienable (meaning a human right not granted by a ruling power) to bear arms at that age.

As for the fact that you are for gun control, just look at the facts and statistics and you will see that an armed society is MUCH safer than an unarmed society. YOU are responsible fot your safety. Take charge of it, and don't surrender it to a third party.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

willyg wrote:
The though of having armed 18-22 year olds is plain scary.

Let me ask all of you a simple question. How mature were you in college? Personally I think I was about average...which for someone in that age, someone in that environment (looking back) is pretty pathetic.
I don't have the same low expectations of people that you do.

I'll grant you that by and large our culture is not doing a good job of producing many men, and you're proof of this, if you weren't mature in college.

But I'm not going to leave it at that. I won't depend on our culture to produce maturity in our men -- after all, I'm the one responsible for my sons, so I'll see to it.

Here's what I expect of a 12-year-old, never mind 18-22. By the time he's twelve, a young man should know how to:
  1. Provide emergency food and shelter for himself and others in a rural or urban setting. That means he must know how to hunt and gather, how to build a fire, how to tie knots and use a knife, how to fish, how to cook, how to stay dry and warm.
  2. Find his way. That means knowing major highways, compass directions, and landmarks.
  3. Do his chores/jobs without being told. He knows what to do -- why should I have to tell him every day?
  4. Communicate clearly. A twelve-year-old should have full command of the language, and should speak with a clear voice without rambling.
  5. Converse maturely with adults.He should not be goofy and incoherent.
  6. Defend himself and others. By the time he's twelve, he should know how to use a shotgun, a rifle, a revolver, and a semi-automatic pistol, and to be extremely careful with a gun he's not familiar with.
  7. Maintain a mature sense of purpose and destiny. That is, he should know the use and worth of how he spends his time, so that it serves a purpose in his future. He should not waste much time on computer games and TV.
  8. Handle money. Money is useful -- he should know how to use it.
  9. Take pain. Now, I don't particularly like pain -- it hurts -- but by the time he's twelve, he should know that some things hurt, and you get over it. He shouldn't avoid pain at all costs, and he shouldn't lose his composure when something gets to hurting.
  10. Keep good company. He should be well aware of the bad influence of wicked peers.
  11. Recognize injustice. He should be ready to struggle for what is right and resist what is wrong.
  12. Serve others. It is more blessed to give than to receive.
Maybe a little historical context will help us. Check out these great men of the past, and set your expectations to these standards:

Alexander Hamilton -- Ran a mercantile business in two languages at age 12. Wrote pamphlets on the Rev. War at age 16.

John Q. Adams -- Received Congressional diplomatic appointment to the court of Catherine the Great at age 14.

David Farragut -- In 1815 was made captain of a captured English ship at age 12, and warned a rebellious older man that he'd go overboard if he didn't straighten up.

Edward the Black Prince -- In 1345 commanded the english army at age 16.
Charles XII -- In 1697 became King of Sweden at age 14 with Parliament's consent and full support.

Hugh O'Donnell (The Red) -- In 1572 was captured and shut up in prison at age 15, escaped 3 years later, recaptured, escaped one year later. Almost froze to death, lost both big toes.

William McGuffey -- In 1814 opened his own school at age 14 and had 40 students.
John Hancock -- Entered Harvard College at age 13.

Stonewall Jackson -- Became a teacher at age 16, wrote "A man of words and not of deeds, is like a garden full of weeds." Became responsible for debt collections in his county at age 17.

reefteach

imported post

Along those lines,

Some may see my carrying of a firearm as a sign that I don't trust society, when in actuality, the opposite is true.

I prefer todo business with establishments that allow my fellow citizens to carry. I feel safer knowing that there may be armed good guys near me with guns. I trust my fellow citizens

The fact that there are a few bad guys out there as well is a given, but the nature of my fellow man is primarily good. We all need to watch out for the few bad guys, and be responsible for our individual safety.