• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry University

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hang on League - Here it comes...

http://concealedcampus.org/[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]4/19/07 - Local Student Group on CNN tomorrow[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]NEW UPDATE: (DATE CHANGE) The Second Amendment Club from the University of Utah will appear on CNN's Paula Zahn NOW tommorrow Monday, April 23th at 8ET, 5PT. The State Supreme Court of Utah has upheld the rights of students to carry on college campuses in Utah. Our friends at the Univ. of Utah will show the world that fears of students carrying on campus are unfounded and students in many states already carry responsibly on their campuses every day.[/font]
This is an interesting concept. I did notice that the links on the menu bar do not work. Maybe because it is so new. We'll see how it goes.

willyg

imported post

You really think having a bunch of armed 21 years olds in a college setting is a good thing?

We will have 10 Virginia Tech's a year...

Let me guess, some of youguys still think the world is flat.

wet_willy

imported post

willyg wrote:
You really think having a bunch of armed 21 years olds in a college setting is a good thing?

its not?

we are not ignorant, nor stupid, and i cant speak for everyone on this forum but i do not appreciate being called ignorant, and i usually only give one warning to poeple stupid enough to say that to my face. many of the people on this forum are here to share knowledge and learn the law, doesn't seem like a bunch of " ignorant people" so please take your crap somewhere else,

did anyone else read his other post where we were all called ignorant? or is it just me?

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

willyg wrote:

willy, if you intend to stick around and learn something (which would be great in our minds) please explain HOW you believe that will happen.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

willyg wrote:

Willy, give me a break - any student "can" carry to class now - we want the good guys to be able to carry without fear of nanny state college tribunals suspending them from school.

LeagueOf1291

imported post

willyg wrote:

Eighteen years old would be better.

And if you equate the freedom to keep and bear arms with a belief that the earth is flat, then you are abysmally stupid.

But I suspect you're not actually that stupid. I suspect that you've just been indoctrinated into ignorance, and you're not able to piece together a rational argument. The best you can do is gasp in shock at the thought of someone going armed, and in this state of emotional unrest you react by accusing us of believing the earth is flat.

Yes, I understand you completely.

xpun8

imported post

LeagueOf1291 wrote:
Eighteen years old would be better. And if you equate the freedom to keep and bear arms with a belief that the earth is flat, then you are abysmally stupid. But I suspect you're not actually that stupid. I suspect that you've just been indoctrinated into ignorance, and you're not able to piece together a rational argument. The best you can do is gasp in shock at the thought of someone going armed, and in this state of emotional unrest you react by accusing us of believing the earth is flat. Yes, I understand you completely.
Nice. Indoctrinated is the correct word. The sad part is the majority of our "higher" education institutions are the one's doing the indoctrinating. In some case the public schools...that's why you teach them right, teach them young, before some loony toon grade 6 teacher starts preaching how guns are bad, only evil comes from guns. My son hated me for confronting her, but...she needed to be set straight. As it turned out she didn't say guns were evil, just lead to that myth. That was my issue. She knows where I stand now and I havent' heard anything from my daughter this year regarding guns. Global warming is another story though.

willyg

imported post

Clearly I have some very very different opinions,thoughts, beliefsthan the majority of you.

Like everyone I think what happened at V-Tech was terrible.

Thatbeing said, I do not think the solution to the V-Tech'sof the world is an institution where they have the right to defend themselves.Like many of you I went away to college. School I went to was in Western PA, probably 1/10 the size ofV-Tech. The though of having armed 18-22 year olds is plain scary.

Let me ask all of you a simple question. How mature were you in college? Personally I think I was about average...which for someone in that age, someone in that environment (looking back) is pretty pathetic.

Unlike some of you I supposeI DO NOT believe a gun would make me safer - quite the contrary. Although you do not see it as often now, when I flew after Sept 11thI would seesoliders with guns as big as my leg...that never for a moment made (or makes) me feel safer!

Also, I live in Northern NJ, right across the river from Manhatten and commute tothe cityevery day for work. The way I get there is called the PATH - basically a train from NJ to NY. Every now and again you will see a ton of security around. A bombing overseas, some kind of threat, near Sept 11th, etc, etc. When those things happen you see cops withtheir full "armor" and guns everywhere. IDO NOT feel more secure by the show of force.

I know the way it works in this country. Pro-gun folks (you all for lack of a better term) consider gun-control a hot-button voting issue. I am forgun-control,howeverwhenI go to vote, there are several other issueshigher on thepriority listfor me.

Personally I think the right to own an potentially operate a firearm isnot a right, it is aPRIVLEDGE of mature adults, one that should not betaken or given lightly. Put another way...I think you should have to absolutely jump through hoops. To methe avg college student is not someone whofalls into that category.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Personally, I think 'willyg' is too immature to be armed with a firearm and I'm the tyrant. Hell, he's too immature to be allowed near a networked computer.

If the First Amendment was so infringed as he would the Second Amendment, would we have to read his drivel?

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits (let's Willy out) and guns and the truth. NRA KMA

xpun8

imported post

PRIVLEDGE??? Maturity??? Grow up man!! You are worried about education, not maturity. Were you mature enough to drive? Automobiles kill more people than guns.

Grade 2-Intro to Firearms Safety/2nd Amendment
Grade 4-Firearms Safety/2nd Amendment and what it means to us.
Grade 8-Advanced Firearms Safety/Tactical Intro
Grade 10-Firearms/How to defend the 2nd
Grade 12-Packing

willyg

imported post

:banghead:

Some of you just don't get it. So you disagree with the fact that only mature people should be entrusted with guns? Not sure what I can say...

wet_willy

imported post

willyg wrote:
:banghead:

Some of you just don't get it. So you disagree with the fact that only mature people should be entrusted with guns? Not sure what I can say...

so are you saying that because i am 18, (college age) i can not be "entrusted" with firearms? you dont get it, its not age that makes a person mature, its the way the person was raised and who they want to be i know 16 year olds that i trust with guns, and i know 40+ year olds, who shouldn't be allowed to make any choices. however its not for me to make the decision nor is it for you, if a person is able to articulate the fact that he his mature, and shows by actions that his is mature, then the person should be able to carry a weapon. i carry one of my guns almost constantly, or have it close by. i do drink on occasion, and if i plan on getting drunk, then the guns get unloaded and put away, if i am having one or two, the it stays on my hip, everyone knows not to even think about touching it because drinking or not, they will have 1, a broken arm, shoulder, and wrist, OR 2, they are dead or dying, i prefer no.1 but........

the point i am trying to get across is that you CAN NOT base whether or not a person is mature by age.

xpun8

imported post

I don't get it. Are you saying that people should not be able to exercise any of their rights until they are mature enough? Who decides maturity? I was probably more immature than you(in college), yet I was perfectly able to responsibly use/own/handle/carry a firearm. I had a hunting rifle and a handgun with me while in school. I hunted with my "college" buddies, I went shooting with my "college" buddies. I'm completly missing how a few immature 18-24 year olds had firearms and none of us ended up in prision, shooting each other, or whatever else it is you feel immature people do with guns.

Enlighten me.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

willyg wrote:

You really think having a bunch of armed old farts inANY setting is a good thing?

Self-defense is ALWAYS a GOOD THING.

How would this sound

"-Well dear wife...I didn't think i would be a good thing for a "bunch of 21 year olds in a college setting" was a good thing so I was against it. Sorry that Your Daughter/Son is not alive ANYMORE cuz of what I thought instead of a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to be able to defend themselves cuz the BG didn't read the memo "NO GUNS ALLOWED" ."

"with Great Power comes Great Responsibility"

VAopencarry

imported post

I live in Northern NJ, right across the river from Manhatten and commute tothe cityevery day for work
Heck that's all you had to say, explains a lot. We all know how safe NYC is, being that guns are all but illegal there.

I will agree that having armed police around do not make me feel safer, nor does it make me safe. That's why I like to arm myself. I am the only one with me 24/7 so I like to provide for my own safety. How do you provide for your safety?

Loquinho

imported post

"Personally I think the right to own an potentially operate a firearm isnot a right, it is aPRIVLEDGE of mature adults, one that should not betaken or given lightly..."

If you do not believe that the right to keep (own) and bear (operate) arms is a right, then you do not agree with the document upon which this nation was founded. Disagreeing with the laws which govern us is different than disagreeing with the document upon which all these laws were founded. A disagreement with the Bill of Rights is a disagreement with America. It's fine if you have a different opinion, but you can't demand that America itself change.

daniel.call

imported post

"Unlike some of you I supposeI DO NOT believe a gun would make me safer - quite the contrary."

If guns don't make you feel safer that is all right. You don't have to carry one. In the end though I don't think you have the right to expect anyone else to defend you with a firearm or any other way if you are unwilling to do so yourself. If you don't value your life enough to protect it why would I want to risk mineon your behalf. Our nation sends soldiers to war and police officers to confront armed criminals when the majorityare unwilling to take the risk.

That said I believe we still have the responsibility to defend those who may not value their life and liberty the same way we do. It seems that the heaviest burdens always fall on minorities.